• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Two Mdt to high impact events NYC subforum; wknd Jan 6-7 Incl OBS, and mid week Jan 9-10 (incl OBS). Total water equiv by 00z/11 general 2", possibly 6" includes snow-ice mainly interior. RVR flood potential increases Jan 10 and beyond. Damaging wind.

wdrag

Just now, NEG NAO said:

12Z ICON with the classic Raritan River NJ snow/rain line

icon_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_37.png

Much of that is due to track with this, though, correct? Were that low 40 miles east it would be closer to snow up and down east of 95? Seems like that demarcation often comes down to positioning especially with marginal air. 

3 minutes ago, Volcanic Winter said:

Much of that is due to track with this, though, correct? Were that low 40 miles east it would be closer to snow up and down east of 95? Seems like that demarcation often comes down to positioning especially with marginal air. 

yes and as the storm starts pulling away from the coast the rain/snow line moves into central and south jersey also the NE wind that does not come over the warmer water keeps those areas  frozen

icon_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_39.png

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Tatamy said:

You should hold those thoughts until the S/W is more fully analyzed by the North American RAOB network and the short range models can parse this.  

My thoughts remain the same. East winds for the island when the waters are still in the mid 40s won’t do it. It works for NJ and maybe even the city, but not for the island. In a month it would be a better chance once water temps hit the upper 30s. But an east wind regardless of the exact track spells trouble, unless the storm is suppressed well south in which case we don’t get the QPF. 

I do think the island does fine later this winter, but expectations should be kept in check for the island. If I was in NNJ, westchester, etc I would be much more confident of a nice advisory event. 

39 minutes ago, Volcanic Winter said:

I agree with the need for objectivity and controlling of one’s emotions, this is a science discussion forum and too easily I see people jump down other’s throats for stating an opinion that runs contrary to their own desires, even if valid and supportable. That I genuinely dislike a lot, and I’m not just talking about our subforum here. I read all three major east forums. 

With that said, MJO is a weenie and lives for this stuff. I can’t and don’t fault him for that, it’s usually innocuous IMO. He can lash out at times but so do others, idk. We’re all here because we love weather and love snow. I enjoy his enthusiasm at times. 

I’m a true weenie too, I live for winter weather. I travel for winter weather, my wife and I spend our precious vacation time and money going to hike in cold places during the winter, the opposite of many. But I do try to keep my emotions checked at the door, because I respect this forum as a place for rational scientific debate and discussion. 

With that said, nobody’s perfect. I could just do without the personal attacks / mocking I see on AWX from time to time. In all cases, it’s uncalled for. Edit: And I’m not talking about the stuff that’s obviously just meant to be taken in jest and isn’t mean spirited. 

I am guilty of coveting your activities...

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, cleetussnow said:

great run for metro and esp. N/W.  New England forum will be happy (er).

Edit:  Came too north for Metro - changes to rain.  Jumped the gun.

The only area that gets shafted is the immediate coastline, like the city, South shore of LI and far Eastern NJ.

2 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

Cmc and gfs are pretty similar. Just north of Driscoll bridge and nw of 95 6"+ but quickly drops off to nothing 

CMC is much better for the coast than the GFS. Low is farther off shore and temps are 3 degrees colder.

Just now, bluewave said:

Stronger Southeast ridge this run leading to warmer storm track for the coast. This was expected with the trough in the West. 

New run

4A6CB298-2730-487A-95BD-7C6C8F847A94.thumb.png.47884f2e47566d17532198b82d124309.png

Old run

B1FD191C-A92B-4983-9E7A-3F85749F9069.thumb.png.c5c3843f7712014ff74c5a777d7844c0.png

Better hope that trend does not persist.  I abandoned suppression solutions yesterday.  Still not convinced even interior does not have mixing issues before all is said and done.  That 50/50 low is the only thing saving the day from a hugger or cutter.  Surface high pressure nice to have but not ideal location by any means and not that cold of an air mass to work with.  We'll see where this heads as guidance rolls in today, tonight and tomorrow.   I'd keep enthusiasm in check for inland areas and as for the coast consider it a win if you can break the lack of 2" streak.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Stronger Southeast ridge this run leading to warmer storm track for the coast. This was expected with the trough in the West. 

New run

4A6CB298-2730-487A-95BD-7C6C8F847A94.thumb.png.47884f2e47566d17532198b82d124309.png

Old run

B1FD191C-A92B-4983-9E7A-3F85749F9069.thumb.png.c5c3843f7712014ff74c5a777d7844c0.png

Confluence is weaker but the trough out west didn’t become stronger 

Just now, MANDA said:

Better hope that trend does not persist.  I abandoned suppression solutions yesterday.  Still not convinced even interior does not have mixing issues before all is said and done.  That 50/50 low is the only thing saving the day from a hugger or cutter.  Surface high pressure nice to have but not ideal location by any means and not that cold of an air mass to work with.  We'll see where this heads as guidance rolls in today, tonight and tomorrow.   I'd keep enthusiasm in check for inland areas and as for the coast consider it a win if you can break the lack of 2" streak.

This will have to buck the last minute nw trend and either hold serve or go the other direction 

39 minutes ago, psv88 said:

My thoughts remain the same. East winds for the island when the waters are still in the mid 40s won’t do it. It works for NJ and maybe even the city, but not for the island. In a month it would be a better chance once water temps hit the upper 30s. But an east wind regardless of the exact track spells trouble, unless the storm is suppressed well south in which case we don’t get the QPF. 

I do think the island does fine later this winter, but expectations should be kept in check for the island. If I was in NNJ, westchester, etc I would be much more confident of a nice advisory event. 

It depends, an east wind will turn the island to rain in February too, this particular track isn't conducive to snow here,

but then you have something like the Millenium storm which was all snow here in SW Nassau in late December, even Long Beach was all snow.

• wdrag changed the title to Two Mdt to high impact events NYC subforum; wknd Jan 6-7 Incl OBS, and mid week Jan 9-10 (incl OBS). Total water equiv by 00z/11 general 2", possibly 6" includes snow-ice mainly interior. RVR flood potential increases Jan 10 and beyond. Damaging wind.
  • Rjay unpinned this topic