Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan Medium/Long Range Disco: Winter is coming

stormtracker

Just now, ravensrule said:

Send pics. I have a serious snow craving. 

Last year I took the family up to deep creek/swanton for MLK weekend. We had 6-10” from the storm that came through which was too warm for the folks further east. Then the upslope turned on and we had whiteouts on and off. Finished at 21-22” for the weekend

• Like 7

1 hour ago, DDweatherman said:

Last year I took the family up to deep creek/swanton for MLK weekend. We had 6-10” from the storm that came through which was too warm for the folks further east. Then the upslope turned on and we had whiteouts on and off. Finished at 21-22” for the weekend

I think that was 2022. Incredible event though.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Heisy said:

The storm we’re potentially tracking for around the 17th is crashing onshore around Oregon at 144 hours. It dives under the trough and then phases with it.

The 18z EPS made a really good trend East with the trough.

a109bda60470fa86e5522aafe205e097.gif

Looks like it got deeper south not sure I see further east.  Am I missing the east shift?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, winter_warlock said:

The blue line( im gonna guess thats the 0 Celsius  line)  does move slightly south....  in my opinion. Althought if ya listen to my wife i see only what i want to see lmaoo

The blue line is the 540 dm height line, and not the better known 540 dm thickness line.  The 540 thickness line is well known to approximate line for where it is cold enough to snow, but I have no idea what the 540 height line represents.  Anybody else know.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, cbmclean said:

The blue line is the 540 dm height line, and not the better known 540 dm thickness line.  The 540 thickness line is well known to approximate line for where it is cold enough to snow, but I have no idea what the 540 height line represents.  Anybody else know.

This is correct. The 540 height line is usually different from the 540 thickness line because of the variation of surface pressures. But if the surface pressure is exactly 1000 mb, then the 540 height is the same as the 540 thickness line, where thickness is defined as the height between the 1000mb and 500mb pressure surfaces.

Usually, though, sfc pressure is a little higher than 1000 mb, so you have this extra air under the 1000-500mb layer, so the total height from surface to 500mb would be greater than 5400m… UNLESS the column is so cold that the 500mb pressure surface shrinks vertically below 5400m. 

Why highlight the 540dm height line? I don’t know. Seems mostly arbitrary. Or that 1000mb is the closest pressure surface to the actual surface.

Someone can probably explain it better than me. Or use ChatGPT

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1