• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan Medium/Long Range Disco: Winter is coming

stormtracker

You have bad feelings when it’s literally snowing outside. “I can see the back edge in Nashville”

I am just wondering if we we are going to get our severe blocking now instead of later

9 minutes ago, CAPE said:

That Aleutian trough looks mighty strong. Pac puke flood? Wasted block!

MJO gonna go ape in the warm phases

Nino isn’t enough to overpower the nina base state

11th straight warmest winter for NE, bad juju there

It’s never going to snow again, so we’re f’ed

/sarcasm

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Ji said:

I have a bad feeling about February now. We better score as early and often as we can now

I think February is a big test as to the decadal -PNA we are in. The N. Pacific anomalies over the last 6 Winter's are the greatest we've ever seen in an area at 500mb on record for the same month over a 6-year period. (Feb 1964-1969 -NAO comes in 2nd)

4 minutes ago, Terpeast said:

Do you downgrade your forecast now or are you holding off until MLK time frame. This is pretty depressing we just can’t do winter or cold or snow anymore. 

Just now, Buddy1987 said:

Do you downgrade your forecast now or are you holding off until MLK time frame. This is pretty depressing we just can’t do winter or cold or snow anymore. 

Edited my post to say i was being sarcastic, but I’ll wait until after 1/7-1/9 to update my forecast if need be

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Stormchaserchuck1 said:

I think February is a big test as to the decadal -PNA we are in. The N. Pacific anomalies over the last 6 Winter's are the greatest we've ever seen in an area at 500mb on record for a 6-year period. (Feb 1964-1969 -NAO comes in 2nd)

Interesting that 1964-1969 was a snowy period. 

• Like 8

21 minutes ago, CAPE said:

New edition of Euro Weeklies implies a strong west based block for 2+ weeks. Can still see it here, and in later panels.

1707782400-eGGQNJaVfoo.png

Feb 2 to 18 is the climo window in these parts for Top 10 snow events. If we can't manage at least 1 healthy warning level event this year in that window, then we are truly forever screwed.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

33 minutes ago, usedtobe said:

Interesting that 1964-1969 was a snowy period. 

We also have an ongoing record of 10 straights February's with +NAO (CPC)

2014  1.34  
2015  1.32  
2016  1.58  
2017  1.00   
2018  1.58  
2019  0.29  
2020  1.26  
2021  0.14   
2022  1.68  
2023  0.92

1950-60 March -NAO ties the index record with January 09-19 +PNA for 11 consecutive years. 

1966 was a very -NAO February, and I know -PNA February's in El Nino's can sometimes pop big -NAO's so we'll see

52 minutes ago, Terpeast said:

/sarcasm

Overall N HEM setup is pretty good and we are in a low end, strong Nino. It's gonna snow again and deep, right in the cities and all over this fine sub. We are gonna track til our eyes fall off. We are gonna stay up and track every last model run! We will not tire or give up! My debbin' days are over! I love being an optimist! We are gonna reel in some tasty setups with deep deep snows and frigid cold! So guzzle down those Monster drinks and strap yourselves in real good! We are going to track the models til there aint no more winter left, sometime in early April.

• Like 1

Is Heisy worried though? 

I agree with cape, I think the KU/big dog potential is around then if that’s legit. We get the big ones once the block starts to break down. Probably see some front enders (especially for N&W) until we can pop a ridge out west.

Looking ahead to mid month and beyond for storm opportunities, there is a strong signal for the 13-14th window, but as discussed the trough axis is still a bit too far west this period so the favored storm track is to our west. This is far enough out to keep an eye on though. As modeled the cold will be advancing eastward during/just beyond this period. Maybe a trailing wave scenario as the boundary moves eastward around MLK day.

1705190400-RPKsbbksqJc.png

Beyond that as modeled the h5 pattern progression should bring colder air to the east coast with an establishing NAO block and a TPV lobe located underneath. There is an indication of a southern stream shortwave moving eastward, in addition to NS vorticity associated with the southward displaced TPV. The NS probably wont be 'quiet' during this time with the TPV depicted to be that far south. There should finally be some cold though.

1705384800-P5rd7PZ0Cns.png

• Like 8

23 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Looking ahead to mid month and beyond for storm opportunities, there is a strong signal for the 13-14th window, but as discussed the trough axis is still a bit too far west this period so the favored storm track is to our west. This is far enough out to keep an eye on though. As modeled the cold will be advancing eastward during/just beyond this period. Maybe a trailing wave scenario as the boundary moves eastward around MLK day.

1705190400-RPKsbbksqJc.png

Beyond that as modeled the h5 pattern progression should bring colder air to the east coast with an establishing NAO block and a TPV lobe located underneath. There is an indication of a southern stream shortwave moving eastward, in addition to NS vorticity associated with the southward displaced TPV. The NS probably wont be 'quiet' during this time with the TPV depicted to be that far south. There should finally be some cold though.

1705384800-P5rd7PZ0Cns.png

Looks like potential for a clipper. Been a long time.  Also, a Manitoba Mauler would be acceptable as well. That vortex is almost South of Hudson Bay, interesting possibilities if this look comes true.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, frd said:

Looks like potential for a clipper. Been a long time.  Also, a Manitoba Mauler would be acceptable as well. That vortex is almost South of Hudson Bay, interesting possibilities if this look comes true.  

Also phasing opportunities with a potential southern wave. Tracking waves and their timing and interactions, maybe more than usual.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Also phasing opportunities with a potential southern wave. Tracking waves and their timing and interactions, maybe more than usual.

Yep, I am excited for this time period.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, brooklynwx99 said:

this wave breaking is a thing of beauty on the OP GFS

840956781_gfs_DTpres_nhem_fh144-384(1).thumb.gif.95f44b48fa9dd3850f67a9ac75e283fd.gif

Pretty crazy look on long range guidance last night.  GFS has big potential. Have not seen the GEFS but @CAPEposted the overnight  Euro ensemble and it looks enticing. Nice wave breaking - wonder if we might get a clipper exploding on the VA capes near the 17 th to the 22 nd 

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, frd said:

Pretty crazy look on long range guidance last night.  GFS has big potential. Have not seen the GEFS but @CAPEposted the overnight  Euro ensemble and it looks enticing. Nice wave breaking - wonder if we might get a clipper exploding on the VA capes near the 17 th to the 22 nd 

Pretty radical look at the end of the 6z GFS. TPV locked underneath the block and energy in the SW poised to come eastward. Anything from suppressed to a phase with NS wave(s) would be on the table. Well below avg temps for the central/eastern US as advertised.

1705708800-3UmqidjFKEk.png

• Like 5

1 minute ago, CAPE said:

Pretty radical look at the end of the 6z GFS. TPV locked underneath the block and energy in the SW poised to come eastward. Anything from suppressed to a phase with NS wave(s) would be on the table. Well below avg temps for the central/eastern US as advertised.

1705708800-3UmqidjFKEk.png

A look where snow on snow could occur. 

Ha, I can dream.  

• Like 1