Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan Medium/Long Range Disco: Winter is coming

stormtracker

6 minutes ago, DarkSharkWX said:

one thing i noticed on the gfs was that our vort over OK digs more and shunts it N, id assume its a part of why we saw a N shift

0fb25831-3948-4e90-9d01-ab0106ec338f.gif

Also more spacing. I think this event gained almost a full day from when we started tracking. Models have it starting around 1-3 pm saturday

So by 18z tomorrow, we’ll be tracking an event at inside 96 hours

• Like 3

Just now, Terpeast said:

Also more spacing. I think this event gained almost a full day from when we started tracking. Models have it starting around 1-3 pm saturday

Definitely this started out as a late Saturday night - Daytime Sunday event. Most models have it out by Sunrise Sunday.

11 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

I agree to 72 hours or so, but there also is a tendency for follow the leader with the ops and ensembles lately. Maybe someone like @high risk or @dtk can speak to studies of how nondispersive they seem to be in recent years.

The last GEFS upgrade (Fall 2020) switched the system to the FV3 model core and among many improvements, the spread was increased (as intended), and the extra spread was largely meaningful spread.      That said, the GFS had a fairly significant upgrade (to version 16) after the GEFS upgrade, and the GEFS has not received the corresponding update.       Overall, it still feels to me like the GEFS responds to GFS trends more than it should, consistent with the observation by@WxUSAF that there seems to be an element of follow the leader.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

i think the panic comes from the tight gradient and the fact that we're still so far out

The goal posts have tightened substantially from just a day or two ago, but there’s still going to be waffling on exact jackpot zones for qpf, the exact location of the R/S line, timing of the transfer to the coast, etc. It’s all noise. 50 miles here, 25 miles there. We’ve seen this song and dance before. Models trend north as we hit day 4-5 and then they settle back south leading up to game time as models get better sampling on the confluence leading in. Sure, we’d love for models to show 12+ in our backyards for 5 straight days, but we all know that rarely happens. Looking very solid for many of us right now.

• Like 2

No high to the north at all. That would probably be the worst case scenario

Ninja’d by Terp. No high = LP railroads through the coastline. We’ll see what the euro has to say later on. Not too worried at the moment. Especially up my way.

If the Euro / GFS hold serve, that’s all I need to remain confident going into the 4 day range.