Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan Medium/Long Range Disco: Winter is coming

stormtracker

19 minutes ago, WesternFringe said:

Straw man.  When was it ever going to be 5-10 degrees colder in this setup? You and others even told us so from the get go. 

ETA: it looks forecast to be cold enough out here to have a really good chance of accumulating snow west of 81.  And also up the valley ene from me.

etaa:  but what I don’t claim to know is the final result, which is why we all track.  If you do know, it is kinda boring I would imagine

I’m talking about the DC Baltimore area. You’re a whole different world. And i never said I ever thought it would be colder.  I’m just saying if we wanted to make this setup much more likely to end up snowy for DC v just a possibility if a bunch of stuff breaks right…having a colder antecedent airmass if the one variable that would do that. That’s not even controversial. Im not even sure what you’re taking issue with. 

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I don’t know. But I know with the marginal thermal situation we need everything else to break near perfectly.  50/50 isn’t perfect rain. SW too amplified rain.  Surface track inside at all…rain. I guess you can focus on all those variables but the one simple thing that would change all this in our favor would be if the airmass was maybe 5-10 degrees colder. 

Sucks that it takes weeks to recover from the pac puke.  Hopefully the good pattern can last long enough to cash in.

27 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I’m talking about the DC Baltimore area. You’re a whole different world. And i never said I ever thought it would be colder.  I’m just saying if we wanted to make this setup much more likely to end up snowy for DC v just a possibility if a bunch of stuff breaks right…having a colder antecedent airmass if the one variable that would do that. That’s not even controversial. Im not even sure what you’re taking issue with. 

Because saying it would’ve been different if it were 5 to 10° colder on every storm in the winter is a meaningless thing to say.  Of course it would.  That goes for anywhere and any climo.  So why keep saying it?

• Like 1

Just now, WinterWxLuvr said:

Changes early, affects the 4th … affects the weekend?

Yes. Two rules that have consistently served me well:

1.) Changes in the first event likely impact the second, for better or worse.

2.) Details on the second event typically won't become clear until the next operational run that has RAOB data (00z or 12z). Example: the 2nd Feb 2010 event became clearer 12 hours after the first event had cleared out.

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:
1 hour ago, WesternFringe said:

I don’t know. But I know with the marginal thermal situation we need everything else to break near perfectly.  50/50 isn’t perfect rain. SW too amplified rain.  Surface track inside at all…rain. I guess you can focus on all those variables but the one simple thing that would change all this in our favor would be if the airmass was maybe 5-10 degrees colder. 

I was talking about when you said this.  We all know this.  Saying it would be different if it were 5-10 degrees colder is meaningless.  Of course it would. You say this a lot.

• Like 1

There are many variables to watch for next weekend's winter storm. The first glaring one that stands out is northern Quebec. The ECMWF does NOT buy what the GFS is selling with the upper low aiding in stronger confluence. The CMC is more of a blend of the two. Outside of the upper level feature in the South, that upper trough the GFS is showing in northern Quebec will be something I'm monitoring in the coming days.

models-2023123112-f144.500h_anom.na.gif

• Like 15
  • Thanks 6

16 minutes ago, wxmvpete said:

There are many variables to watch for next weekend's winter storm. The first glaring one that stands out is northern Quebec. The ECMWF does NOT buy what the GFS is selling with the upper low aiding in stronger confluence. The CMC is more of a blend of the two. Outside of the upper level feature in the South, that upper trough the GFS is showing in northern Quebec will be something I'm monitoring in the coming days.

models-2023123112-f144.500h_anom.na.gif

Hey all - this is a post from this particular poster you 100% need to study.* Thanks for the input, Pete. 

*If you all don't know, he's on the desk at WPC so...yeah. When Pete drops by to speak, listen and learn. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

It’s better. Suppress it 75 more miles and it’s on.

To be fair, I don’t think we have a clue at this point.

When what one wave does is dependent on another, there's hardly ever a clue this far out. That's why I only looked at the run yesterday for two seconds, lol The usual Wednesday will probably be when we know a bit better.

3 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

When what one wave does is dependent on another, there's hardly ever a clue this far out. That's why I only looked at the run yesterday for two seconds, lol The usual Wednesday will probably be when we know a bit better.

Yeah, that first system is just off CA about to enter the conus. I don’t know if sampling is a thing anymore like it was 10-15 years ago, but I think @Eskimo Joe mentioned it a page or two back

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1