Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Total Solar Eclipse, April 8, 2024

wxsniss

On 1/3/2024 at 12:58 PM, lurker said:

Here's a taste of what the traffic will be like (from 2017):

I went to Williamston, SC for 2017 outside of Greenville and it took 10 hours to get back to Raleigh, NC after. The worst traffic is right after, not before without question.

12 minutes ago, eyewall said:

I went to Williamston, SC for 2017 outside of Greenville and it took 10 hours to get back to Raleigh, NC after. The worst traffic is right after, not before without question.

Makes sense as everyone leaves at different times to get there but once it's over they all leave at the same time, that's why I wanted to spend an extra night wherever I am or I might end up sleeping in my vehicle.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

Makes sense as everyone leaves at different times to get there but once it's over they all leave at the same time, that's why I wanted to spend an extra night wherever I am or I might end up sleeping in my vehicle.

Gonna be chilly doing that, bring the mummy bag

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, I'm surprised no one has mentioned staying in southern Quebec or the Eastern Townships for this event. I've checked and hotel availability seems a lot better there than NNE. Sherbrooke, Quebec is my pick for this event. But Magog and other towns also seemed to have good hotel availability without the inflated prices I'm seeing here. The one exception may be Niagara Falls, ON. Rates were high over there.

Sent from my moto g 5G (2022) using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CTSkywarn said:

Wow, I'm surprised no one has mentioned staying in southern Quebec or the Eastern Townships for this event. I've checked and hotel availability seems a lot better there than NNE. Sherbrooke, Quebec is my pick for this event. But Magog and other towns also seemed to have good hotel availability without the inflated prices I'm seeing here. The one exception may be Niagara Falls, ON. Rates were high over there.

I was thinking of doing that, go up the day before or something. 

• Like 1

Anyone traveling south for this?  I went to MO in 2017 and was planning on Texas in April......have hotels booked in St. Louis (before shifting more south) and San Antonio......still investigating where to actually drive to to see this bad boy but at twice as long as the 2017 one man I can't fukin wait.......life changing experience for sure.....

3 hours ago, CTSkywarn said:

Thought never crossed my mind but nor that you mention it, its a good idea. I also checked New Hampshire, according to reports, a lot more people are going to Vermont than New Hampshire so I did look into that. Northern Maine is also an option.

10 hours ago, DavisStraight said:

Thought never crossed my mind but nor that you mention it, its a good idea. I also checked New Hampshire, according to reports, a lot more people are going to Vermont than New Hampshire so I did look into that. Northern Maine is also an option.

Only 2 minutes totality at CAR.  PQI and especially HUL would be longer.  So would MLT.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2024 at 11:30 PM, ice1972 said:

Anyone traveling south for this?  I went to MO in 2017 and was planning on Texas in April......have hotels booked in St. Louis (before shifting more south) and San Antonio......still investigating where to actually drive to to see this bad boy but at twice as long as the 2017 one man I can't fukin wait.......life changing experience for sure.....

Booked in San Antonio and plan to catch the eclipse as close to Eagle Pass as possible.  We booked 9 months ago.

• Like 1

On 12/26/2023 at 7:23 AM, Chrisrotary12 said:

How much for the flight?

Haven’t booked it yet but probably will in the next few weeks.  We also have enough miles and have actually considered driving.  Time is less of an issue for us.

• 3 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

The plan if the weather is good.  Is to visit my sister in law.  She lives in Kirkland, just south of Montreal. Her house is just inside the eclipse path of totality.

If you can get yourself closer to the center line…..on the edge of the total path you’ll only get a matter of seconds in darkness…..at the center it will be like 3:15 or 3:30…..minutes…..

I read an article in a local paper in Berlin where the town of Pittsburg is planning for the event and they are anticipating anywhere from 3,000 to 30,000 people (basically they have no idea, and just going to roll with it!) and all camping, cabins, vrbo, etc... are all booked in Coos Country. Colebrook on the other hand is planning for a big event of tens of thousands of people.

Given the uncertainty of weather and crowds, I'm aiming to do a clockwise northern loop, and presuming I get passed Pittsburg and can cross the border, will take in the eclipse in southern Canada, and then venture home through Chain of Ponds and grab dinner in Rangeley. Alternatively, if I get to Errol in the morning and it is already a complete sh$t-show, I'll take a counter clockwise approach and venture up dead diamond road and get lost, sort of...

eclipse road trip.jpg

15 minutes ago, eyewall said:

I can tell you don't settle for 90% or even 99%! Get into totality as it is a different world! I will be in Texas for this one. In 2017 I was on the centerline in South Carolina.

You should be skiing at Smuggs for this!

9 hours ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

Does anyone have the percent chance of cloud cover map?

image.thumb.png.d7911fa9dde8bd19020f414c7d2b53ad.png

Basically these are percentages on the right so 0.9 equates to 90% (ie cloudy) and 0.1 would be 10% (mostly clear).

On 2/13/2024 at 11:31 AM, eyewall said:

Hopefully you will luck out. No way to know for sure now of course.

Hi Eyewall.  How is life down south?  Hey, I think you are the most knowledgable about solar eclipses on the forum and I have a question that I can't find the answer to on the web.  Here in my hood of Central NH I will be at 98% coverage.  I know that if you are not under totality the difference is like almost being dead and being dead.  ( I heard that once from someone describing a total solar eclipse).  It is true with my experience in Aruba years ago. My specific question is at 2% would people that stay here be able to see the Diamond Ring?  I know Bailey's beads will not be possible.  I think shadow bands will be visiable.  I will wait right up to the day before the eclipse to decide my travel plans.  I do know the back roads to at least get me north of Littleton.