Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2024 -- Discussion

moneypitmike

43 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

Of course now all the detractors will think I’m saying dendriteland will have p-type/ratio issues tomorrow. No, I’m not…sorry guys…

"Everything matters at the margin.

Wasn’t it just yesterday that you guys got skunked on modeled snow that never came?"

Just a heads up - when that's your response to someone stating that their current temp is a non-factor for an upcoming storm, it seems, at least to me, that you're heavily implying that there could be similar p-type issues associated with said upcoming storm.

Now you've clarified that you don't believe that will be the case, but you've pre-emptively defended yourself against "detractors". Just don't say stuff like that and you wouldn't have to defend yourself, haha.

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

8 years ago today final 29.5. Post your first FB memory of the Blizzard of 15

FB_IMG_1706376548553.jpg

My first memory was disappointment.  We'd planned to drive home from SNJ on the 27th but decided it was wiser to stay an extra day with the grandkids.  They had never seen a snowstorm greater than 7-8" and the forecast there was 12-16, starting in the evening of the 26th.  Instead, first flakes came about 7 AM, lasted until 11 and the 1.5" total was gone by 3 PM.  The grandkids were more disappointed than I was.
When we got home about 6 PM on 1/28, we found 20" of 9:1 sand in our driveway, very difficult to slog thru as the consistency tended to twist and slide away from our feet.  Pics and descriptions from neighbors plus other data were convincing that our home had "seen" full blizzard criteria; we've had that only 4 times in our 25+ winters here.  Had we been home, that storm would've been the most powerful January blizzard I'd ever experienced, with only Jan 19-20, 1961 even coming close.  (And 18 days later came the VD massacre - 24 hours before game time the forecast was 18-24; we got 1.5.)

Did some depth auditing up at Stowe earlier today. 17.5" at the road closure - nice depth, everything checks out. Was surprised how little there was (comparatively speaking) in the downtown area (around 10-11" maybe?). I think I might have more on the ground at my house.

Disclaimer: For those that might take this photo seriously, please note that I actually have no idea what the snow depth at the Smugglers' Notch road closure on the Stowe side is. I hopped out of my truck and took this photo as quickly as possible. This was in a parking lot right next to a snow bank. It takes a while to line these stupid-ass photos up perfectly - there were tons of people there looking at me like I was a freak.

Smuggler's notch.jpg

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, AstronomyEnjoyer said:

Did some depth auditing up at Stowe earlier today. 17.5" at the road closure - nice depth, everything checks out. Was surprised how little there was (comparatively speaking) in the downtown area (around 10-11" maybe?). I think I might have more on the ground at my house.

Disclaimer: For those that might take this photo seriously, please note that I actually have no idea what the snow depth at the Smugglers' Notch road closure on the Stowe side is. I hopped out of my truck and took this photo as quickly as possible. This was in a parking lot right next to a snow bank. It takes a while to line these stupid-ass photos up perfectly - there were tons of people there looking at me like I was a freak.

Smuggler's notch.jpg

Please add a plumb line.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

6 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Went skiing tonite at Crotched mtn . Was surprised to see the trees shimmering w branches hanging heavy in decent ice 

The ice line was approx 1800’ at 2k it looked awesome 

I was riding in the NEK and the ice line was similar. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AstronomyEnjoyer said:

Smuggler's notch.jpg

Ha!  You’re incredibly close to the Barnes Camp Snow Plot there.  That’s the snowcat road behind you and then past that in the woods back there is a stake.

10-11” in town sounds right.  The village at 750ft can be half what 1500ft is at times.  Village doesn’t really do big depths but it’s just consistent cover much of the winter.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

Ha!  You’re incredibly close to the Barnes Camp Snow Plot there.  That’s the snowcat road behind you and then past that in the woods back there is a stake.

10-11” in town sounds right.  The village at 750ft can be half what 1500ft is at times.  Village doesn’t really do big depths but it’s just consistent cover much of the winter.

Haha, it took me such a long time to line up the yard stick with the speed square so that it would be perfectly parallel to the sign in the photo. People were watching me like, "what the hell is this guy doing?"

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, AstronomyEnjoyer said:

Haha, it took me such a long time to line up the yard stick with the speed square so that it would be perfectly parallel to the sign in the photo. People were watching me like, "what the hell is this guy doing?"

Just like how they look when I’m weighing the SWE in the snowpack.

• Haha 1