Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2024 -- Discussion

moneypitmike

Just now, CoastalWx said:

Later next week holds more promise for a SWFE I think. 

I’m done commenting because it seems to drive people to the Tobin, just not a fan of the look in the long range. Maybe it changes. That’s JMHO.

Your take is totally reasonable. Not a great look, but some servicable interludes.

• Like 2

Just now, CoastalWx said:

I’m done commenting because it seems to drive people to the Tobin, just not a fan of the look in the long range. Maybe it changes. That’s JMHO.

When you go negative it’s like 10 turds in the Punchbowl and everyone goes running for the exits.

when others go negative we just laugh.

1 minute ago, mahk_webstah said:

Pretty clear this is a multi year pattern. I wonder what will break it? Appear we’ve still had decent snow. Last year higher than average, but very much on the borderline. This year not too bad but slightly behind.  But I’m trying to remember when we had what felt like a cold winter with decent snow that tended to predominate the majority of the season

Its a combo piece....CC, poor multi decadal Pacific background and bad luck.

2 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

Pretty clear this is a multi year pattern. I wonder what will break it? Appear we’ve still had decent snow. Last year higher than average, but very much on the borderline. This year not too bad but slightly behind.  But I’m trying to remember when we had what felt like a cold winter with decent snow that tended to predominate the majority of the season

Global cooling

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, radarman said:

It's not in debate that the pac sucks thereafter... the glass half full view is that the warm air push could be cut off at the pass over some of New England.  Kind of like the Tuesday potential.

It will cool off heading into early Feb. But verbatim it doesn’t appear that it will last for any meaningful time. I guess that’s my issue. Sitting here with another terrible ratter of all rats so yeah it’s frustrating. 

• Like 1

When you go negative it’s like 10 turds in the Punchbowl and everyone goes running for the exits.

when others go negative we just laugh.

I’ve had the same feeling two winters in a row. Trust me, I don’t like it.  Things will be better up your way. 

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

Who is driving to the Tobin 

Cranky Twitter feed for todays system seems like he’s following the HREF from two days ago 

Maybe we'll find out the pac really does drive the bus all the time and Tuesday will piss rain to Canada... but literally it was just yesterday that the GFS (especially) was showing something we haven't seen in a long time, which is the low levels saving us from a horrific upper air pattern, not just once but repeatedly.  QC HP pulling victory out of the jaws of defeat.   Perhaps just another model fantasy, we'll see.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

I’ve had the same feeling two winters in a row. Trust me, I don’t like it.  Things will be better up your way. 

Yeah probably. Just being 350 feet higher and 10 miles north of Concord often is enough for me to get good snow. But it’s much more fun when everyone else is in it to be honest. I was checking out a cam in Center City Philly today because I remember how much fun it was to walk around the city and it snowstorm.  At some point this will break and in a couple years. I’ll be walking around with my kids in snowstorms. 

• Like 2

Just now, radarman said:

Maybe we'll find out the pac really does drive the bus all the time and Tuesday will piss rain to Canada... but literally it was just yesterday that the GFS (especially) was showing something we haven't seen in a long time, which is the low levels saving us from a horrific upper air pattern, not just once but repeatedly.  QC HP pulling victory out of the jaws of defeat.   Maybe just another model fantasy, we'll see.

Seems like later in week is better? To me it looked tenuous to begin with. We’ll see. Latitude obviously will win.

Yeah probably. Just being 350 feet higher and 10 miles north of Concord often is enough for me to get good snow. But it’s much more fun when everyone else is in it to be honest. I was checking out a cam in Center City Philly today because I remember how much fun it was to walk around the city and it snowstorm.  At some point this will break and in a couple years. I’ll be walking around with my kids in snowstorms. 

At some point I’ll show my kids pictures of what it was like to walk around in snow storms. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Weenie 1

23 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Man, this place is a bloodbath this AM...glad I tuned out last night.

It's almost like whatever form the scenario(s) next week take(s) aside, they were created specifically for the purpose of tormenting weather-charting-psychotropic drug addicts.   hahaha.

I mean ... it may snow, it may not.  But it CAN snow, and saying it can not ... is false.  Yet saying it will, is equally false. 

This is akin to backing food truck up to the prison gate at Auschwitz, parking it there and walking away.

• Like 4

Just now, Typhoon Tip said:

It's almost like whatever form the scenario(s) next week take(s) aside, they were created specifically for the purpose of tormenting weather-charting-psychotropic drug addicts.   hahaha.

I mean ... it may snow, it may not.  But it CAN snow, and saying it can not ... is false.  

This is akin to backing food truck up to the prison gate at Auschwitz, parking it there and walking away.

Maybe not quite.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Many  had set the bar ripe for February melts . 

Still no idea how it will play out

Gefs is fine, eps is not. Just calling it as I see it as of now. I’m sure we’ll have a good stretch with chances then whether or not we cash in well I guess we can all hedge on the under just from a persistency standpoint.

So looking at every angle, and all the emotions going on here I see many issues with this mornings discussions

The first thing I'm noticing is the models seem to be flipping and change every few days. If the GEFS isn't showing one thing the GFS is and if the GFS isn't the euro is ECT..... Point is they have flip-flops so much with a colder month or a warmer month. How can anyone be sure what's going to happen. I sure as hell can't tell what's going to happened nor am I just going to go with what the models are showing this morning.

Two...There's always a couple of posters on here that will take some of that information and just feed it into the forum like they are force feeding a baby bird. These people ( and they know who they are ) could care less whether it's super warm or snowy they just want to troll the forum like they always have and always will. So pay them no mind. I myself would listen to them if they actually had some constructive criticism on both ends but they don't.

With all that said, maybe this is a lesson learned to stop riding all the models like a roller coaster because that's what they do.  It's sad that they can't catch on to what's going to happen and that they're not consistent. But so much can still happen for February and March and nothing is written in stone at all until we get closer.

So buckle up and puck her up buttercups. We're in for a crazy ride.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Gefs is fine, is not. Just calling it as I see it as of now. I’m sure we’ll have a good stretch with chances then whether or not we cash in well I guess we can all hedge on the under just from a persistency standpoint.

Which is sort of odd because it’s MJO projection is markedly worse overall than the EPS is so it’s somewhat strange that on the 00Z ensemble it shows a better setup