Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2024 -- Discussion

moneypitmike

8 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I'm not Will, but this is a different look. Apples to oranges. You have a confluence zone to the north of us vs today which is a s/w well west and nothing really to stop this from coming NW. 

It could maybe drop advisory snow, but seems like a low ceiling IMO.

Yeah we were even discussing how far west the ridge and trough axis was for the storm today and thinking there was a good chance it would come NW which it did. This one doesn't have that look. This one is all about separating the two broken PV pieces and that trend hasn't been favorable the last few days.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah we were even discussing how far west the ridge and trough axis was for the storm today and thinking there was a good chance it would come NW which it did. This one doesn't have that look. This one is all about separating the two broken PV pieces and that trend hasn't been favorable the last few days.

That storm went so far NW it caused ptype issues. We need that kind of NW move for the Friday storm which is a long shot.

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

EPS def more robust than 00z which were basically a clean whiff. 12z gets much of CT/RI and SE MA into that 1-2" range. With maybe one more little push, there could be some advisory type snows.

confluence is solidly weaker and the vort is stronger

ezgif-7-4d59298c07.thumb.gif.8106fa51f641ce881bf9966b0bdbb7b4.gif

• Like 1

On 1/10/2024 at 12:22 PM, dryslot said:

I can relate, I grew up in the 60's, Feb 69, We were out of school for a week so you would have to know it was real bad snow, Because they never cancelled back then, In fact, If the buses didn't run, You had to still find a away to get to school, A parent or walk.

busses had no heat or drop chains but get up you got school 

5 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

There is a zero percent chance to forecast whether PV lobes are going to phase or not when making forecasts 2 months out. I'm not saying this to pick on you....but I think people take the idea too seriously that seasonal snowfall forecasts in New England can be skillfully predicted to anything closer than about a 20-30 inch range.

I applaud people for trying, but it's so much harder than temperatures because there are like a thousand more variables for snowfall than forecasting temps.

This is one of the reason I don't engage in seasonal forecasting for this social media - or anywhere.  I wouldn't bother with "snow forecast"  ... I find it to be a bit wishy casty

If we wanted to focus instead upon the governing aspects that drive temperature anomaly distribution - that can be more readily and correlative -connectable to pattern tendencies; an area where I feel I personally excel  ... but I'm not trying to go there ...

Point being, if the temperature forecast were BN and the precipitation ( also more connectable but sans any mention of ptype) is AN. Then "odds are" it snows more so that year than if it were AN and BN for those two basic metrics, respectively.

Just say AN, N, or BN for precipiation, and because it is AN(BN) in temperature ...etc, and leave it at that. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Signal is there actually.

Pretty much all guidance has that high now...it's just a question of whether it presses down enough at the same time we're getting that low ejecting from the MS and TN valleys. I currently don't expect much of anything in SNE right now out of that setup, but it is something to keep an eye on. NNE could easily get out of the "torch period" unscathed if things break right.

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Pretty much all guidance has that high now...it's just a question of whether it presses down enough at the same time we're getting that low ejecting from the MS and TN valleys. I currently don't expect much of anything in SNE right now out of that setup, but it is something to keep an eye on. NNE could easily get out of the "torch period" unscathed if things break right.

I noted the strong CAD setup though it does eventually break down at the end of the week at least per ECMWF OP

So are we seeing a bit of a change for midweek next week as far as attempts not being as high as the mid-40s? There was talk that some colder air may wedge down and we won't get as warm. Just wondering if the models today trended towards a more wintry solution in the middle of next week. More importantly, are we going to get colder after next week again with more chances of winter weather...... that is the question

• Weenie 1