Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2024 -- Discussion

moneypitmike

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

This was never supposed to be a retention season.

Right. Adding data to my post, since I moved back for the 2018-19 season I’ve recorded continuous snowpack at my location at or above ten days twice. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Haven’t had a decent retention season since 2020-21…most of our good retention seasons come during weakish ENSO….a few exceptions like 2010-11 or 2007-08…tho even that year had quite a few thaws…they just quickly were followed by another snow event. 

That said, a nice retention stretch wouldn’t shock me this year. February has a shot at it if we can build a semi-permanent PNA ridge. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Haven’t had a decent retention season since 2020-21…most of our good retention seasons come during weakish ENSO….a few exceptions like 2010-11 or 2007-08…tho even that year had quite a few thaws…they just quickly were followed by another snow event. 

That said, a nice retention stretch wouldn’t shock me this year. February has a shot at it if we can build a semi-permanent PNA ridge. 

No, I could see it in February...I was just speaking of the season in the DM aggregate. 

3 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Latitude.  We'll finish this mess with 12-13" pack and >3" SWE.  We managed to reach 36" last season even though it was the warmest of 25 cold seasons (DJFM) here.  I could see us going into the 20s by 1/17.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

Nice little system.

Almost looks like 3/4/19-lite based on QPF distribution that run.

But hell, while 6-10 would be nice, I'd take half that prior to the arctic cold behind it.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Canadian gets it done too with a bit of a scraper.

Actually a pretty good hit over SE areas. But for interior more like an advisory event. But even if we're not getting huge totals, even hitting on a few of these advisory threats would go a long ways toward helping us have an AN snow season.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Almost looks like 3/4/19-lite based on QPF distribution that run.

But hell, while 6-10 would be nice, I'd take half that prior to the arctic cold behind it.

Yep, just want something white that will last and we'll see how it is going forward.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Actually a pretty good hit over SE areas. But for interior more like an advisory event. But even if we're not getting huge totals, even hitting on a few of these advisory threats would go a long ways toward helping us have an AN snow season.

Yep, just need to keep getting production. The 20th continues being one to watch too. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

The ensemble signal is pretty paltry...I'm wondering if we don't eventually kick that entire cyclogenic can a bit closer to the ~20th.

Yea, this makes more sense to me...I don't think that event will be a huge deal.

50 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

GFS is going to be a lot flatter for 1/15-16 this run.

32 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Just now, Sey-Mour Snow said:

Rather odd that only 3 GEFS members have it 

IMG_2569.png

The pressures are high so a lot of them won't show up either on that product...I think they have to be sub-1005.

But the mean QPF isn't that impressive anyway...it gets maybe an inch or two back to I-95.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1