Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
January 2024 -- Discussion

moneypitmike

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

No it was a friday storm.

There was another super bowl storm in 2015 too. The 2/2/15 storm was the day after the SB. Started right after it ended actually IIRC.

Yeah heres the radar for the Super Bowl 2015 storm. 9PM on Sunday. We're really derailing this thread by talking about the past so ill make this the last post on the subject. 

03.JPG.439455a4501116185769b8e43f220385.JPG

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

No it was a friday storm.

There was another super bowl storm in 2015 too. The 2/2/15 storm was the day after the SB. Started right after it ended actually IIRC.

I remember being like “well at least I have snow to look forward to,” thinking Lynch would run it in at the 1 yard line.  

Then Pete Carrol struck. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I think everyone enjoys snow pack. Nobody’s saying they don’t want it. But personally, I judge winter more on the actual events. That’s where my adrenaline gets going.

Judge it against winter climo IMHO....that's how I do it.

Sure, I'd love 80-100 days of continuous pack but that only happens like once every 1-2 decades here so trying to aim for that is going to cause a failing grade most winters.....realistically climo is going to be around 50-60 days here (and hopefully a stretch of 30 in a row at some point), prob closer to 70-80 in ORH hills and 30-40 along the coast near BOS and south shore (and less down near cape and south coast).

• Like 2

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Judge it against winter climo IMHO....that's how I do it.

Sure, I'd love 80-100 days of continuous pack but that only happens like once every 1-2 decades here so trying to aim for that is going to cause a failing grade most winters.....realistically climo is going to be around 50-60 days here, prob closer to 70-80 in ORH hills and 30-40 along the coast near BOS and south shore (and less down near cape and south coast).

Yep, good way of putting it. 

5 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Doesn't seem so but the one on Feb 2014 and the one on Feb 2015 both occurred/started on Super bowl evening into Monday. Thats why i thought you meant 2015, but 2014 same thing happened. 

Ok then I think it’s the 2015 one I’m remembering..thanks.  And yes, I do now remember the back to back Super Bowl Sunday storms 2 years in a row.  Thanks for the info. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I think everyone enjoys snow pack. Nobody’s saying they don’t want it. But personally, I judge winter more on the actual events. That’s where my adrenaline gets going.

Likewise. Although that's why a season like 95-96 was so great. Lots of pack for a very extended period throughout the winter, and many many events

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

I agree

I would be lying if I said I didn't care....it sucks to melt out like last night, but the seasons that just don't produce, like last year, are far worse. I can deal with poor retention seasons much better than low snowfall....and of course, they are correlated...many high snowfall seasons are also fairly cold.

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I would be lying if I said I didn't care....it sucks to melt out like last night, but the seasons that just don't produce, like last year, as far worse. I can deal with poor retention seasons much better than low snowfall....and of course, they are correlated...many high snowfall seasons are also fairly cold.

complete wipe out?

2 minutes ago, Kitz Craver said:

Was hoping we’d be parsing some exciting OP’s to keep us entertained. Not so much. Instead we dive deep into pack retention analysis. Zzzzzzzzz

Well the GFS wasn’t bad at all…so there’s that. The Euro will be out in 20 minutes, so we’ll see where that takes us? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kitz Craver said:

Was hoping we’d be parsing some exciting OP’s to keep us entertained. Not so much. Instead we dive deep into pack retention analysis. Zzzzzzzzz

Just biding time through Torchs next power bottom cutter this weekend, then we hopefully have some more interesting tracking to do

• Like 1

Two back to back screamers in the height of winter climo is definitely a shit streak on this winters white undies. Is what it is. Question is do we bleach it out and bring them back gleaming white, or do we have a massive rhea attack that leaves us waddling away in shame? Time will tell friends.

Most folks know how much of a snow OTG pack hound I am. Typically it bothers me immensely and I have trouble dealing with losing snow. But this one didn’t really bother me at all. I think it was having a snowless first half of winter and also going into it already knowing and conceding that we had 2 quick screamers coming right in to take it all away in the blink of an eye. This one was simply a stat padder. Very much like Morch storms . Here today , gone tomorrow .

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, UnitedWx said:

Likewise. Although that's why a season like 95-96 was so great. Lots of pack for a very extended period throughout the winter, and many many events

Lots of snow in 95-96, its 138.8" was tops of my 13 winters in Gardiner by 30".  That trails only 2007-08 since moving from Fort Kent in 1985.  However, the major thaws, especially in January, tempered my enthusiasm. 
Five top SDDs for Gardiner winters:

1993-94   1,993
1986-87   1,879
1989-90   1,641
1992-93   1,352
1995-96   1,290

• Like 1