Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
January 2024 -- Discussion

moneypitmike

56 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

yes, but somewhat happy no big temp drop today otherwise these wagon wheels would freeze up solid

capture1.jpg

I have to do that myself this afternoon. I never cleared Sundays second round because the damn snowblower broke,  and rains last night did little to remove it. We still have a lot left in Westfield

• Like 1

Just now, UnitedWx said:

LOL that has Paste for me and pouring rain at BDL written all over it. Seen that several times the last several decades

Gladly that’s not happening like that. Big snowstorm for NYC and rain for BDL, Worcester, Methuen, Portland ala Feb 2010. 

16 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

For my sanity and for the safety of my family, I hope.

Kids: dad threw a violent tantrum because we left the milk on the counter.

Mom: oh sweetie, it has nothing to do with you. Your dad is just going through a tough time. 

Kids: is it because of all the rain and no snow this winter?

Mom: we’re going to stay with your grandparents until April. 

• Haha 5

7 minutes ago, George001 said:

What’s with all the doom and gloom? The Euro has a 970s mb low plowing into New England for the 16-17th threat, isn’t that exciting?

local mets here saying a couple inches but still watching 

6 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

For me as long as it snows..I’m fine. If it’s above before and after so be it. Bring the snow like on Sunday. 

..not me. I like having a snowpack on the ground during winter. I want it to feel and look like winter.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

For me as long as it snows..I’m fine. If it’s above before and after so be it. Bring the snow like on Sunday. 

That’s very short term thinking, what good is a foot of snow if it all melts away 2 days later? That’s why temps matter, if you can’t get sustained cold you won’t be able to build a snowpack. Just looking at snow totals isnt the correct way to evaluate how severe a winter is. There is a HUGE difference between an average snow winter that is 3 degrees AN and average snow with 3 degrees BN.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, George001 said:

What’s with all the doom and gloom? The Euro has a 970s mb low plowing into New England for the 16-17th threat, isn’t that exciting?

the equivalent of the north rays media saying they are  in on every "name" free agent but failing to sign them...

Just now, Great Snow 1717 said:

..not me. I like having a snowpack on the ground during winter. I want it to feel and look like winter.

yes, but you can't control the weather so as long as we get snowstorm and not rainstorm will take it 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, George001 said:

That’s very short term thinking, what good is a foot of snow if it all melts away 2 days later? That’s why temps matter, if you can’t get sustained cold you won’t be able to build a snowpack. 

Alot of my snow from the Sunday storm is actually still here after the storm. If only we weren't getting two back to back rain storms in a row smh.

11 minutes ago, George001 said:

That’s very short term thinking, what good is a foot of snow if it all melts away 2 days later? That’s why temps matter, if you can’t get sustained cold you won’t be able to build a snowpack. Just looking at snow totals isnt the correct way to evaluate how severe a winter is. There is a HUGE difference between an average snow winter that is 3 degrees AN and average snow with 3 degrees BN.

You do you George, and I’ll do me. Fair enough.  Give me a big dog, and let it wash away 3 days later, and I’ll take that every time over not getting it at all. But you do you. 

And sure, I’d love to build a pack, but if not, bring the snowstorms and that’s good enough. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, kazimirkai said:

Alot of my snow from the Sunday storm is actually still here after the storm. If only we weren't getting two back to back rain storms in a row smh.

yeah, it’s tough to maintain a snowpack through 2 consecutive power cutters. The big problem is the trough out west, leading to lows gaining latitude in the Midwest. The good news is that some of the long range guidance has that trough turning into a ridge, but in my opinion the 16-17th threat is likely to run inland because the western ridge axis is so far west. That’s why I am not discounting the 0z Euro outcome at all, it fits the pattern. I like the 20-21st threat better at least for my area, im too close to the ocean and too far east to do well in these hugger/inland runner setups. 

3 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I’m with wolfie on this. Retention is becoming a fraud five here lol. Quebec can barely hold snowpack these days and we’re attaching the subjective quality of our winters on snow retention??? Good luck with that. 

This was never supposed to be a retention season.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I’m with wolfie on this. Retention is becoming a fraud five here lol. Quebec can barely hold snowpack these days and we’re attaching the subjective quality of our winters on snow retention??? Good luck with that. 

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

This was never supposed to be a retention season.

Is any season a retention season anymore? Since Feb 15, we’ve lost snowpacks fast and for any reason imaginable.

Hell 30+ inches from the Jan 22 blizzard was gone in less than a week.

• Like 2