Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2024

wdrag

1 minute ago, donsutherland1 said:

In terms of verification scores, the Canadian model consistently ranks third. Recently, it has ranked second.

image.png.abbf79b9b994422c89a3a6ca8d5db208.png

Yea I was about to say that.  The gfs is a worse model and has been for years. 

• Like 4

GEFS/GEPS/EPS still showing warmup does not last long.....still don't totally love pattern on any of them for big snows though I think GEFS pattern has improved a tad since yesterday...general issue is +NAO so W ridge has to be perfect, if its too far west you cut, if its too far east you might see everything miss OTS....the GEPS from 360-384 looked best, maybe was trying to build a -NAO late and the PV was dropping S

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Allsnow said:

You were favoring the CMC for Monday nights event which would have given the interior a huge snowstorm 

I don’t look at models beyond 24-72 hrs for specific snowfall output. That is one of the lowest skill parameters longer range for models. I wasn’t favoring the CMC or any other model for this system. Don’t mistake me discussing what x or y model says as an endorsement of that model in a model discussion thread.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bluewave said:

I don’t look at models beyond 24-72 hrs for specific snowfall output. That is one of the lowest skill parameters longer range for models. I wasn’t favoring the CMC or any other model for this system. Don’t mistake me discussing what x or y model says as an endorsement of that model in a model discussion thread.

Given how key the NRN stream is I like the GEFS for this as far as how does storm evolve...now as far as what does the WATL/SE Canada area look at as far as blocking?  I'd probably blend the GEPS/EPS idea and see how it compares to the GEFS.  I feel the GEFS gets outperformed on that so the eventual track of this thing whether it goes OTS or tries turning the corner/speed of the system may be better to see what those models are indicating in that sector

10 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

Given how key the NRN stream is I like the GEFS for this as far as how does storm evolve...now as far as what does the WATL/SE Canada area look at as far as blocking?  I'd probably blend the GEPS/EPS idea and see how it compares to the GEFS.  I feel the GEFS gets outperformed on that so the eventual track of this thing whether it goes OTS or tries turning the corner/speed of the system may be better to see what those models are indicating in that sector

We have much higher forecast skill with cutters beyond 3-5 days like the two we just had. Since NYC will usually get mostly rain whether the low cuts 50 miles or 500 miles to the west. But a storm tracking within 50 miles east to 500 miles east of NYC will have a much different outcome. Anything from mixing, perfect benchmark snowstorm track, or complete suppression. I would love it if all the global and meso modeling centers kept specific model skill scores for East Coast storm tracks. Unfortunately, these hemispheric skill scores don’t always tell the story about how good the model is doing on East Coast storm tracks. We have seen periods when the CMC nailed a snowstorm forecast beyond 5 days like 1-31-21. Other times when the UKMET did great like the follow up storm after the January the 2016 blizzard. Then we have the Euro which was too far west with the January 2015 blizzard. And too suppressed with the 2016 blizzard. The Euro did a amazing with NEMO. Often times we have to wait until we get to within the NAM and RGEMs range to figure out the exact track and rain-snow line for NYC. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bluewave said:

We have much higher forecast skill with cutters beyond 3-5 days like the two we just had. Since NYC will usually get mostly rain whether the low cuts 50 miles or 500 miles to the west. But a storm tracking within 50 miles east to 500 miles east of NYC will have a much different outcome. Anything from mixing, perfect benchmark snowstorm track, or complete suppression. I would love it if all the global and meso modeling centers kept specific model skill scores for East Coast storm tracks. Unfortunately, these hemispheric skill scores don’t always tell the story about how good the model is doing on East Coast storm tracks. We have seen periods when the CMC nailed a snowstorm forecast beyond 5 days like 1-31-21. Other times when the UKMET did great like the follow up storm after the January the 2016 blizzard. Then we have the Euro which was too far west with the January 2015 blizzard. And too suppressed with the 2016 blizzard. The Euro did a amazing with NEMO. Often times we have to wait until we get to within the NAM and RGEMs range to figure out the exact track and rain-snow line for NYC. 

people also got spoiled by 2010 when we had extreme blocking and an stj dominated pattern which helped the models nail everything a week out

• Like 1