Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Sunday, December 17 - Monday, December 18, 2023 Storm

weatherwiz

9 minutes ago, dryslot said:

That's the worst part of all, Some clubs won't have the resources or time to make the necessary repairs in time to salvage the season, Most don't know what it takes to maintain the trail system so its an oh well, And a shrug of the shoulders for many that have no skin in the game.

Aren't you glad you bought that sled:P

2 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

The amount of damage in Maine seems like they may actually need some federal funds or something after a storm of that magnitude . If this damage was done by a named system it would probably be easier 

It will be in the hundreds of millions or even billions of losses in infrastructure and winter tourism.

3 minutes ago, mreaves said:

We had to do it over the entire system after this summer's floods.  In my county we had one club that had to rebuild 13 bridges and replace 8 culverts.  I'm afraid to think what may be out there today.

That really sucks for you guys, those VT hills picking up speed and funnelling water is no joke. Here is the brand new bridge in Strong Maine they built gone again.

FB_IMG_1702993188071.jpg

• Sad 5

11 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

SL doesn't seemed to have fared as well looking at their cams. Plus the Reddington bridge on Rt 27 is toast. 

The base areas that pond water that rushes down the slopes must be a sight to see after 4”plus ran down the mountain , combined with the high dews and snow Melting fog that all had for a substantial time . Man made holds on better but it wasn’t marginal 35 conditions . They torched in fog 

10 hours ago, powderfreak said:

90mph at 600ft is absolutely wild though in the larger scheme of things.  Don’t care if it’s a bit exposed.  It’s not like it’s got 2k+ feet of prominence.  Stack like half a dozen tall trees on top of each other to get there.

Yeah it’s been awhile since they gusted that high. I think I saw 1996? I feel like I recall a few extreme gusts there in the early 90s (maybe Mar 93 too?). But I’m not necessarily surprised since you had 90-100kt slamming the coast at H92. 

Have you seen any storm surge numbers for yesterday . I figured some south facing coasts saw a decent rise east of center .
Pvd hit ~9 ft, or about 5 feet above the predicted high tide. 1938 was 12.67 feet above sea level. Overall looks like maybe #3 overall, and somewhere between once a decade and once a century?

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

a91804a6b646de4d9cc298e51943fe27.jpg
  • Thanks 1

Just now, weatherwiz said:

Curious about this...how many people/businesses have generators in Maine? 

I'm not sure, I have power here in the mill and i was home yesterday and they told me it just flickered a few times, I would say the majority do not have a generator as i have spoken with two of our accounts today that are working under flashlights or candles.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, powderfreak said:

90mph at 600ft is absolutely wild though in the larger scheme of things.  Don’t care if it’s a bit exposed.  It’s not like it’s got 2k+ feet of prominence.  Stack like half a dozen tall trees on top of each other to get there.

It's high but their amazing gust was 186mph during the Hurricane of 1938.  During that hurricane they also had 121mph sustained.  According to Wikapedia that is the strongest hurricane surface wind  ever recorded in the United States

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, drstuess said:

Pvd hit ~9 ft, or about 5 feet above the predicted high tide. 1938 was 12.67 feet above sea level. Overall looks like maybe #3 overall, and somewhere between once a decade and once a century?

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

a91804a6b646de4d9cc298e51943fe27.jpg

Atlantic Ave and businesses in Misquamicut took a huge hit from surge.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, weatherwiz said:

Curious about this...how many people/businesses have generators in Maine? 

Actually quite a few.  A hardware chain up there  is one of my clients and they fly off the shelves every storm... Usually they try to get extra units in the days leading up to an event.  But the number of folks without still very much out weighs the number that do...

• Thanks 1