• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Sunday, December 17 - Monday, December 18, 2023 Storm

weatherwiz

High wind gust of 22.3 mph but my weather station is poorly sited for wind.  I believe this is the highest I've had since installing it a couple of years ago.  High temp of 58.6° and down to 46.7° now.  We had a brief lull where everything got calm and there was even some breaks of sun.  Almost like being in an eye.  Should have gone out to try and take a stadium picture.

5 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Some of the towers have wind thresholds and they have to evacuate (PWM nearly did today).

They had a Ground Stop for a few hours. Was watching on FlightAware. Seemed like they were still operating and trying to land flights that were approaching but several were also in a holding pattern. Probably an uneasy feeling for many flying in the area today.

Reported 3.62" to GYX at 3:45 with more to come.  Also noted that 3 trees (and significant parts of 2 more) landed on a 200-yard stretch of our 0.4-mile road.  (Must have sounded like "yard" not "road" to GYX, as the former is what's on their site.)  Those 3 across the road were 2 big fir and one big basswood.  The smaller of the fir is up against the wires and I left it alone, for now, but was able to clear enough of the others to allow passage.  Unfortunately, both my wife and I were out when the bigger fir toppled, and our vehicles are parked out near the tar road.  When things dry out, and if no one has attacked the on-wire tree, I'll probably walk down and take a whack at it tomorrow.  My next-door neighbor has a big red maple crushing the rear corner of the garage and an equally big (15" diameter and 70 feet tall) black cherry that just missed the house but utterly destroyed the gazebo and messed up the service entry.  Fortunately, she has a genny similar to ours.

Wild River at Gilead peaked above 30k CFS - I wonder if it was running across Rt 2 at peak.  It was down to 17.4k when I looked about 4.  Both the Sandy at Mercer and the Carrabassett at North Anson are above flood and climbing, and the Sandy upriver at Madrid is at near record flow so the Mercer gauge has "miles to go".

• Like 3