Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Dec/Jan Medium/Long Range Disco

WinterWxLuvr

1 minute ago, mattie g said:

I know what to say:

This is a model run. This hasn’t actually happened yet (shock horror!).

We were discussing that model run though.  My point was on that simulation we got everything to go right wrt the track of that clipper and it just didn’t matter because the boundary temps were too warm anyways. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, WSWL said:

That’s because it’s warm leading up to it. There isn’t any cold following the first storm which is rare. Is it the pattern or CC? Probably going to need a few more winters to get the answer. But I will say if we get a big gulf low coming up the coast with a nice cold high in Quebec and it rains this winter. We have our answer. 

I know it can still snow if everything goes right. The issue is most of our snow comes from marginal flawed setups. And lately most marginal situations seem to be tipping the same way and it’s not the way we want. 

• Like 3
  • Weenie 1

1 minute ago, Scraff said:

How the frick is it not snowing next Saturday morning with the 540 line in southern Georgia? Come on! Seriously? Fine—I’ll consider a hybrid, but not going full electric...yet. :lol:

Warm air trapped at the lower levels and warm air seeping in off the Atlantic at 2,000-5,000 feet?

Am I wrong to think that the SLP off the SE coast would have come further north if a badly timed piece of energy at h5 didn't come flying into MN at 216 on the 12z GFS?

I’m starting to see why we need blocking…otherwise, we keep having to deal with these vorts flying around to the north mucking everything up.
  • Like 1

I am not buying this on January 3rd, 2024, this is our storm.

I think that is further west.  I am just thinking back to runs from last week when this was closer to the coast too.  I think the GFS is beginning to correct this look further west as a northern stream system tugs it back to the east coast.  

I am interested in this storm!

GFS Wednesday January 3rd 2024.png

There is a definite trend in recent model cycles for more significant NS energy to dig southward and deepen as the EPO ridge amplifies. This has a couple potential impacts on our period of interest- it brings colder air southward, and it interacts with the waves tracking across the southern US. Depending on the timing, this could mean damping or 'squashing' waves, or possibly phasing with- which could be a good outcome if it happens at the right time. Tracking for early Jan has gotten a bit more interesting lol.

• Like 11