Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Panic Room - Winter 23/24 Edition

mappy

50 minutes ago, Fozz said:

The good pattern was always expected to get in place around mid month.

Yea a trackable storm appeared around the 5th but that was always a thread the needle situation. A possible MECS if it all went perfectly but not our main window.

Go look at the thread I posted. We were tracking a brief reset after the last 2 storms and then a good pattern setting in; early Feb. Now its post Feb 14th.

Want to make a bet? We meet back here Feb 15th. No snow between now and then, and you will be tracking a "good pattern" in late Feb/ Early March. (which also won't happen)

How much do you want to bet?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RevWarReenactor said:

Go look at the thread I posted. We were tracking a brief reset after the last 2 storms and then a good pattern setting in; early Feb. Now its post Feb 14th.

Want to make a bet? We meet back here Feb 15th. No snow between now and then, and you will be tracking a "good pattern" in late Feb/ Early March. (which also won't happen)

i'm thinking maybe if you want to see more consistent wintry weather you shouldn't live somewhere that is still within range of some species of palm.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, paulythegun said:

haha the euro smashes that thing to oblivion on Feb 5th. Smashes it back into the gulf of mexico from whence it came

what ? You mean it didnt show this?

ecmwf_mslp_pcpn_us_60.png

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Mikeymac5306 said:

Just 384 hrs away from looking at another awesome run at 384hrs. It's gonna rock! 

I think we'll get another round of winter by then, but the idea that we're actually good at March snow is a little overrated.  It certainly does snow, but we usually don't get wintry periods like we had a couple weeks ago...March is a little more choppy in that regard.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, 87storms said:

I think we'll get another round of winter by then, but the idea that we're actually good at March snow is a little overrated.  It certainly does snow, but we usually don't get wintry periods like we had a couple weeks ago...March is a little more choppy in that regard.

Yeah, usually our "snowy" March is just one event. 2014 was arguably the most extreme March here ever, with multiple snows and wall-to-wall cold. The odds of something like that happening again in our lifetimes is probably very low.

On 1/29/2024 at 1:38 PM, RevWarReenactor said:

I'll take that bet. We'd need to set some more detailed parameters, though. So number one is no measurable snow between now and February 15th. Where do we count an official measurement? BWI? Part 2 of the bet is that what, there won't be a trackable threat on February 15th? What would you consider trackable? I will absolutely throw something down with you. Let's make this interesting. Put some money where your mouth is. 

4 hours ago, 87storms said:

You should go ask them how much snow we historically get at DCA in March.

• Weenie 1

2 hours ago, Steve25 said:

I'll take that bet. We'd need to set some more detailed parameters, though. So number one is no measurable snow between now and February 15th. Where do we count an official measurement? BWI? Part 2 of the bet is that what, there won't be a trackable threat on February 15th? What would you consider trackable? I will absolutely throw something down with you. Let's make this interesting. Put some money where your mouth is. 

Sure, lets do it. BWI is good. When I say trackable threat, it has to be showing up on the 144hr (6 days) or less GFS and has to have at least SOME support from other guidance. I have no question there will be plenty of fictional storms, cold air, and epic pattern changes at that time on the 216+hour. 

I maintain there is a very good chance that I-95 shuts out the rest of the winter. A dusting-an inch aside. 

An epic win would be a 5+ inch snowstorm at this point that brought the area to AVERAGE.

• Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1

1 hour ago, RevWarReenactor said:

Sure, lets do it. BWI is good. When I say trackable threat, it has to be showing up on the 144hr (6 days) or less GFS and has to have at least SOME support from other guidance. I have no question there will be plenty of fictional storms, cold air, and epic pattern changes at that time on the 216+hour. 

I maintain there is a very good chance that I-95 shuts out the rest of the winter. A dusting-an inch aside. 

An epic win would be a 5+ inch snowstorm at this point that brought the area to AVERAGE.

So, it's hard to make a bet based on perspective over what's a threat and what's not and how much model support there is. There's nothing definite about any of that. 

Let's do it based on actual accumulation. If you're saying you're confident there will be no snow up to the 15th AND that there won't be any trackable threats within 6 days of the 15th, what kind of potential accumulation would you consider a trackable threat?

13 hours ago, Steve25 said:

So, it's hard to make a bet based on perspective over what's a threat and what's not and how much model support there is. There's nothing definite about any of that. 

Let's do it based on actual accumulation. If you're saying you're confident there will be no snow up to the 15th AND that there won't be any trackable threats within 6 days of the 15th, what kind of potential accumulation would you consider a trackable threat?

You are kind of splitting hairs here.

Lets make it simply. No accumulating snow at BWI before Feb 15th. I couldn't rule out a stray flurry. Those happen. 

Nothing to realistically track on Feb 15th inside 6 days. A widespread storm. 3 inches+ for I-95 From DC to Philly. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RevWarReenactor said:

Lets make it simply. No accumulating snow at BWI before Feb 15th. I couldn't rule out a stray flurry. Those happen. 

Nothing to realistically track on Feb 15th inside 6 days. A widespread storm. 3 inches+ for I-95 From DC to Philly. 

Alright I'm in on this

5 hours ago, RevWarReenactor said:

What are we putting on it?

44 minutes ago, CAPE said:

These poor folks. They never look at models hoping to see digital blue. They can't wait until late March when it starts to rain.

LOL. And look how calmly those Sapporoans walk and drive in the snow. ON snow-covered roads and sidewalks. If that were here, bitches would be all up, canceling school and closing gov't offices, and all OTHER kinds of shit....  :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic