Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Yesvember or November?

Go Kart Mozart

38 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

December isn't even that much of a winter month if you're near the coast. SE MA averages like 6" in December and close to 20" in Jan and Feb each. Mar is closer to 10" as well

at least Ninos maximize the months that are already good instead of Ninas where you wreck your best month

it is a winter month up here-but massive variability: average 17" in December over 20 years. and Dec snowfall does not predict winter in any way. last 5 Decembers:

2018: 4", below normal winter

2019: 29", way below normal winter

2020: 32", below normal winter

2021: 9", way below normal winter

2022: 6", just above average winter

Life and actual work are preventing me from being very involved, much to the satisfaction of the collective, I'm sure...

but clearly there is some sort of move by all three ensemble members toward the coast for the 8th-ish of November.  

The telecon spread/leading modality's are not altogether terrible, something seems more likely than not to be emerging along the M/A.  There is spread (of course..) at this range so keeping an eye on it.

The other issue is that it is less than clear what/if/where cold air

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Life and actual work are preventing me from being very involved, much to the satisfaction of the collective, I'm sure...

but clearly there is some sort of move by all three ensemble members toward the coast for the 8th-ish of November.  

The telecon spread/leading modality's are not altogether terrible, something seems more likely than not to be emerging along the M/A.  There is spread (of course..) at this range so keeping an eye on it.

The other issue is that it is less than clear what/if/where cold air

11/8 looks kind of warm to me, though enough cold lurking nearby that an ideal track may produce interior snows....but there's another window after that in the 11/10-12 timeframe which looks like it has a lot more cold available.

• Like 2

Up in NNE, Its tough to get big totals generally if you lose December due to AN and below avg snow, You really need to have an AN Jan-Feb to build a pack but some years like last year, It all fell up here rather late end of Jan into March but now sun angle comes into play for retention.

1 hour ago, brooklynwx99 said:

December isn't even that much of a winter month if you're near the coast. SE MA averages like 6" in December and close to 20" in Jan and Feb each. Mar is closer to 10" as well

I know you just thru out ball park numbers but SE mass near the coast is probably 36 in Taunton annually , BOS upper 40’s Plymouth 30’s

7 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

My current location definitely averages more than that. I’d say mid 40s anyway 

NOAA says 36 for you and 36 for PYM

I could buy 40 on NW edge of town 

Unless you live on A 400’ hill or at borderland state park In Easton 

I’m talking all time averages (including last year when it was skunkville) 

either way , my point was SE mass near coast doesn’t average 20 in Jan and FeB 10 in March and 6 in December for a mid 50’s average . I know this is a weenie board but

1 minute ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

NOAA says 36 for you and 36 for PYM

I could buy 40 on NW edge of town 

Unless you live on A 400’ hill or at borderland state park In Easton 

I’m talking all time averages (including last year when it was skunkville)

He's no doubt over 36. Even the E Wareham coop is over 35"....and also has some missing data.

Just now, STILL N OF PIKE said:

I’d take whatever number Will says for a all time average 

His map agrees with that. Norton POR since 1978 is 43.5" and BOX since 1994 is 44.6". Obviously BOX total includes good snow years, but I think argues for my educated guess.

FWIW the Hingham guy near me since 1960 is 49.5". I'd say he's fairly consistent/conservative too.

18 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

I’d take whatever number Will says for a all time average 

it sure isn’t 50” in Taunton lol

I'd put Taunton in the 42-45ish range long term. They've been more than that recently, but the last 25 years is not the normal no matter how much we all want it to be.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dryslot said:

Up in NNE, Its tough to get big totals generally if you lose December due to AN and below avg snow, You really need to have an AN Jan-Feb to build a pack but some years like last year, It all fell up here rather late end of Jan into March but now sun angle comes into play for retention.

When you say AN…you mean above normal as in temp? Or as in snowfall? 

1 hour ago, dryslot said:

I have only had 9 winters here, so not a huge sample size, but Dec has the highest average snow total here, so if you lose that , you fall behind quickly. 

8 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

I have only had 9 winters here, so not a huge sample size, but Dec has the highest average snow total here, so if you lose that , you fall behind quickly. 

I have my numbers somewhere by month but have a lot going on to say the least but Dec typically here i think off the top of my head is in the 18-20"/mos, So when you lose that, Its an uphill climb to get to avg.

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

I'd put Taunton in the 42-45ish range long term. They've been more than that recently, but the last 25 years is not the normal no matter how much we all want it to be.

If they’re at 42-45 where does that leave me? I always thought it was about 45” here. Hard to know with HFD data.

Euro is intriguing for NNE for the 11/7-8 threat. Even flips SNE to snow after rain first....but that was one of the colder solutions in the past couple model cycles....still think something the following weekend in the 11/10-12 range would be a bit easier to get frozen out of (and clown range Euro does look interesting at the end of its run for that)