Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
October 2023 General Discussion

Chambana

3 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

Our depth here peaked at 15".

BTW...a friend of mine who lives in a brand new condo refused to turn the heat on until today. As his temp inside dropped to 60.

In a condo?  Which means shared warm walls.  Wow.  Bad building design then.  Still 71 in my house with zero heat running.

• Weenie 1

19 minutes ago, hardypalmguy said:

In a condo?  Which means shared warm walls.  Wow.  Bad building design then.  Still 71 in my house with zero heat running.

Not everyone has the money to put 4' of insulation on their attic.  We get it, you have an amazingly well insulated house.  Stop criticizing everyone else who can't do that or lives in an old house where the only option would be a complete demolition and rebuild to meet your standards.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

140kt-160kt jet stream bashing into the West Coast, and there's a blocking pattern in the way. This leads to chaos. And by that I mean the the surface low will eventually cut under the block and go the Mid-Atlantic. But apparently the severe weather risk tomorrow is kind of a small slight risk.

NAM_221_2023101112_F03_WSPD_250_MB.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chinook said:

140kt-160kt jet stream bashing into the West Coast, and there's a blocking pattern in the way. This leads to chaos. And by that I mean the the surface low will eventually cut under the block and go the Mid-Atlantic. But apparently the severe weather risk tomorrow is kind of a small slight risk.

NAM_221_2023101112_F03_WSPD_250_MB.png

I used to love this page, then they added ads and it became too clunky.

• Like 1

This incoming rain event over the next couple days looks to be a real drought helper if not a complete buster. Pretty good shot at widespread 1-3" of rain over most of the drought areas. For some spots in S MN and Iowa that have really missed out on the rain this summer. This could legit double their 90-day rain totals at least according to AHPS. Overall a very welcome rain, even if a bit late for crops and the harvest. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

29 degrees again this morning here for the 2nd freeze in a row.

Sugar maple is starting to turn pretty quickly now with these chilly mornings.   :D

101123.jpg

29? wow. 36 here, had frost yesterday morning. I love sugar maples, but I love Japanese maples even more. Beautiful trees. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

Our depth here peaked at 15".

BTW...a friend of mine who lives in a brand new condo refused to turn the heat on until today. As his temp inside dropped to 60.

Live in a ground floor apt with leaky windows, a slider door and two outside walls facing N and W. Only gotten down to 68F and no furnace kicking on yet (set to 67F). This evening almost perfect early autumn jacket wx

5 hours ago, hawkeye_wx said:

This is officially my first 1" rain event since early May.  My total so far is about 1.15".  There are some 2" totals on the north side of Cedar Rapids.

4 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

1.31" here so far.  Looks like 2"+ in the bag for this first wave.  Another inch possible Friday.

Awesome!  Great to hear you are getting the needed rains there!!  :thumbsup:

Models keep dropping my QPF expectations here and now the rains won't even start until Friday night now :lol:.  Okay with me as I can get a couple outside items done before the wet weekend. 

My total is 1.24".

It is unclear how much more rain we will get tomorrow.  Models have really delayed the firing along the cold front.  Cyclone should get another inch from that Friday morning, but I might not get much.  Then, as the low moves through Iowa a secondary defo zone will fire up and drop heavy rain somewhere, but models are all over the place with that.  The inch we got was much-needed, but another inch on top of that would be great.

• Like 3

Rain is slowly spreading north towards the metro. Looks like 2-3” of beneficial rain area wide. Glad I don’t have to work in it tomorrow. All day soaker. 

One last hurrah before winter sets in, taking the family camping up north this weekend. We’ll be at Tettegoche State Park along Lake Superior. Might be setting myself up for an interesting weekend, we’ll have the dog, our 2 year old, and my wife who is 6 months pregnant.

• Like 8

47 minutes ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

Rain is slowly spreading north towards the metro. Looks like 2-3” of beneficial rain area wide. Glad I don’t have to work in it tomorrow. All day soaker. 

One last hurrah before winter sets in, taking the family camping up north this weekend. We’ll be at Tettegoche State Park along Lake Superior. Might be setting myself up for an interesting weekend, we’ll have the dog, our 2 year old, and my wife who is 6 months pregnant.

"might be" ?

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

Stressful weekend :lmao:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

Enjoy? Maybe when it's time to leave. :lol: You should be far enough north to stay away from synoptic precip when you get there, but scattered LER might affect you up that way. Very windy couple days on tap.

Friday
Rain likely, mainly after noon. Cloudy, with a high near 54. Windy, with an east wind 20 to 25 mph, with gusts as high as 35 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.
Friday Night
A 40 percent chance of rain, mainly before 1am. Cloudy, with a low around 44. Breezy, with a northeast wind 15 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph.
Saturday
A 20 percent chance of rain. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 54. Breezy, with a northeast wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph.
Saturday Night
Mostly cloudy, with a low around 41. North wind around 10 mph, with gusts as high as 15 mph.
Sunday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 58. North wind around 10 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.
  • Haha 1

On 10/11/2023 at 6:01 PM, cyclone77 said:

29 degrees again this morning here for the 2nd freeze in a row.

Sugar maple is starting to turn pretty quickly now with these chilly mornings.   :D

101123.jpg

Love it. I got an autumn blaze maple a few years ago and it grows like CRAZY. It was between that and a sugar maple. Will post a pic when it peaks.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

Storm total rainfall just surpassed 1” at the airport. Looks like an all day rainer to make packing the car and tossing on the roof box enjoyable. 

Dry lake air keeping showers at bay just to the south. Winds 20-30 G35. Temps in the upper 40's. Expect things to start to quiet down tomorrow p.m. with a chilly Sun am. Nice day around 60 Sun pm on your way out.

• Like 1

I only got 0.22" from the cold front this morning.  The rain just didn't come together in time for us.  However, models show a band of heavy rain developing north of the low this evening as it moves through southeast Iowa.  All models have at least one inch here.

This system has been a huge bust for southern Iowa.  Ottumwa is 15 inches below avg this year and they are getting nothing out of this.  For a week models painted 1-3" across the entire state.

• Sad 2