Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Octorcher or Roctober 2023 Discussion Thread

Damage In Tolland

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Mowed yesterday. Almost got arrested for rolling around nude on the lawn. However, waking up to leaves on a freshly mowed yard is triggering.

i expect leaves to be on the lawn the day after. but what really triggers ME is when I am mowing and the wind blows them from where I have not yet mowed into the grass that i already mowed. The other trigger is after i get the front yard cleaned up and move to the back yard-by the time I am done in back I have to do the front yard again. 

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

I don’t get the whole obsession with a frost? If the Deep South gets it before we do, good for them.  It’ll come when it’s ready.  I feel it has no bearing on the upcoming winter whatsoever.  

And I know you were just replying to Kevin…I’m just surprised at the concern over a frost by some folks. 

As a weather nerd and gardener, I track growing seasons and probably many others here do likewise.

Tuesday morning was forecast for possible frost, and it never got below 37.  This morning was forecast to be near 40 and it dropped to 32, with frozen dew all over the pickup except for the "cabbage leaves" frost on the hood.  Frost free period was 139 days, 3rd longest of 26 here and 21 above average.  All the frost-sensitive veggies had run out of gas so no real effect on the garden.  90%+ leaf drop, though the big (2' by 90') oak is still mostly green with minimal drop.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Bugs, bees, flowers and grass growing.. thick green lawns right up to Tgiving. Just a different world than what we grew up with. Friars and freezes always happened by late Sept /Early Oct

There can always be a rogue cold shot that can give a frost in late September/early October in any year…but usually not the case.   

8 minutes ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

Can't you just envision this pattern lasting through the winter: 

• Storm 1: brush south coast as LP slides south of region
  • Storm 2: out to sea
  • Storm 3: cutter.

Repeat.

Would anyone be caught off guard or surprised if it happened? I think not.

3 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

it wouldn't be that warm with this kind of pattern in place. i find that hard to believe with all the high latitude ridging

eps_z500a_namer_61.thumb.png.dac1260e7a3d843c7bac95e40b9ea881.png

Kind of zonal flow though. And while AN heights up north, that's not really much if any ridging. Maybe slight ridging in Greenland. Sort of just AN IMO.

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

Kind of zonal flow though. And while AN heights up north, that's not really much if any ridging. Maybe slight ridging in Greenland. Sort of just AN IMO.

yeah, I wouldn't call that kind of pattern legit cold, but I would imagine polar air is getting displaced into the CONUS. def not a torchy pattern

i think part of the reason why it looks zonal is due to differences in how the models displace the cold... but there's no way to know unless you look at indies