wdrag

Records:

Highs:

EWR: 85 (1975)
NYC: 84 (1920)
LGA: 82 (1975)

Lows:

EWR: 32 (1932)
NYC: 37 (1988) - cool continued - big discrepancy of 5 degree between EWR / NYC for record lows
LGA: 40 (1993)

Historical:

1909: An F3 tornado struck Pittsburg Landing and Stantonville, TN killing 23 people and injuring 80 others.

1941: America's first television weather forecast was broadcast on New York's WNBT (later WNBC). There weren’t many televisions at that time, so viewers were limited to perhaps a few hundred people. The weathercast consisted of a sponsor's message followed by a text screen containing the next day's forecast.

1957 - Floodwaters roared through a migrant labor camp near the town of Picacho AZ flooding fifty cabins and a dozen nearby homes. 250 migrant workers lost their shelters. The month was one of the wettest Octobers in Arizona weather history. (The Weather Channel)

1965 - Heavy rains hit the coastal areas of southeastern Florida. In a 24 hour period rains of twenty inches were reported from Deerfield Beach to Fort Lauderdale, with 25.28 inches on the Fort Lauderdale Bahia-Mar Yacht Basin. Flooding that resulted caused considerable damage to roads and streets. The rains inundated numerous newly planted vegetable fields, and some residences. Ten miles away just 4.51 inches of rain was reported. (14th- 15th) (David Ludlum) (The Weather Channel)

1981 - Four days of heavy rain across northern Texas and southern Oklahoma came to an end. The heaviest rains fell in a band from southwest of Abilene TX to McAlester OK, with up to 26 inches reported north of Gainesville, in north central Texas. The heavy rains were the result of decaying Hurricane Norma, which also spawned thirteen tornadoes across the region. Seven deaths were attributed to the flooding. (Storm Data)

1984 - Dense fog contributed to a 118 vehicle accident on I-94, just south of Milwaukee WI. It was the seventh day of an eight day stretch of dense fog. At the time of the accident the visibility was reportedly close to zero. (Storm Data)

1987 - Sixteen cities, mostly in the Appalachain Region, reported record low temperatures for the date. Record lows included 43 degrees at Lake Charles LA, 35 degrees at Augusta GA, and 27 degrees at Asheville NC. Gale force winds buffeted the Carolina coast. Light snow fell across parts of Wyoming, Colorado, and western South Dakota. (The National Weather Summary)

1988 - Forty cities in the eastern U.S. reported record low temperatures for the date. Elkins WV was the cold spot in the nation with a record low of 18 degrees above zero. Thunderstorms in Arizona drenched Phoenix with nine inches of rain in nine hours, the fifth highest total for any given day in ninety-two years of records. Carefree AZ was soaked with two inches of rain. (The National Weather Summary)

1989 - Thunderstorms produced severe weather over Michigan during the morning, and over New York State and Connecticut during the afternoon and evening hours. Thunderstorms spawned two tornadoes, and there were ninety reports of large hail or damaging winds, including seventy reports of damaging winds in New York State. A tornado at McDonough NY killed one person and injured three other people. Strong thunderstorm winds gusted to 105 mph at Somerset. Temperatures warmed into the 80s and lower 90s over much of the nation east of the Rockies, with eleven cities reporting record high temperatures for the date. Afternoon highs of 81 degrees at Beckley WV and Bluefield WV equalled October records. (Storm Data) (The National Weather Summary)

1 hour ago, jm1220 said:

Usually happens with these systems-there’s an initial overrunning batch on the north end where there’s a secondary max of heavy amounts. North of that’s the brick wall and north of Hartford probably gets zilch. 

yep hitting us here-started well before any model had it raining here and we've had a quarter inch already

On 10/13/2023 at 2:37 AM, RU848789 said:

No offense, but for me and thousands of others, the primary issue is the RU game in Piscataway, with tailgating from maybe 7 am to noon, which looks mostly dry on most models (maybe 0.05-0.1" before noon), but then the steady rains look to move in sometime in the 12-2 pm timeframe on most models (kickoff is noon), so the timing is really critical for fans and there is definitely significant variability on QPF starting around 2 pm, with some models showing 0.1-0.2" from 2-5 pm while others show closer to 0.3-0.4".  

My one big question for folks is where can I find hourly precip forecasts from the models (even if it's a pay site)?  Pivotal premium only has 3 hr increments on some models and 6 hr increments on others and I'd love to see finer output.  i know I can get hourly once the HRRR and RAP are in range, but it would be nice to have that, too for the globals and NAM/RDPS.  Thanks...

Quite the comeback. It was looking dire after 3

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

It's like one of those early 2000s snowstorms where the places in the 2 to 4 advisory end up with 6 to 8

Yeah, going to end up on the lower Side of my .75-1.00 prediction. Currently at .50 but if this was snow I would have been disappointed 

• Thanks 1