Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
October 2023

wdrag

4 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

Yeah, somewhat similar issue as last year with the primary location (Great Lakes). 

Have to be patient as bad winter patterns can last a few years. 

The primary hanging on too long/Lake cutters are Nina features. Hopefully as we go into winter we get rid of those. That map would be heavy rain for the city/coast even in late January.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

The primary hanging on too long/Lake cutters are Nina features. Hopefully as we go into winter we get rid of those. That map would be heavy rain for the city/coast even in late January.

Yeah, the NPAC firehose jet is knocking down the +PNA ridge too quickly so primary runs to the lakes. The STJ can’t completely take over like we would want to see. There has been quite a bit of this type of storm track behavior in recent years. 

95129C48-86E2-4640-BDE7-E6DE098FFD70.thumb.png.3c7e97c2f17f6b03a0fc6cf86799d153.png

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Yeah, the NPAC firehose jet is knocking down the +PNA ridge too quickly so primary runs to the lakes. The STJ can’t completely take over like we would want to see. There has been quite a bit of this type of storm track behavior in recent years. 

95129C48-86E2-4640-BDE7-E6DE098FFD70.thumb.png.3c7e97c2f17f6b03a0fc6cf86799d153.png

It's going to take a lot for us to see a good snowstorm again. 

There is a part of me that thinks we see another sub 10" year this season. 

• Like 2
  • Weenie 4

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

If that raging jet stays, doesn’t matter how strong any Nino might be, we still have the perma-Nina state. Maybe it’s a good thing we’re getting this over with now? PDO is still very negative which reinforces that jet. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, bluewave said:

The cold coming up doesn’t look too impressive for October. But it will certainly feel that way due to the 80s to start the month. So it’s all relative.

80E03CAE-D719-494B-9580-7F6FA8359605.thumb.png.e3b1b9fa88e1c50a11f7f32a8156c4a8.png

A724BC60-5729-4379-82B1-22C57D95F8A8.thumb.png.3f7bff65055e9058745ebb77b46c7902.png

3AF40231-2587-46D0-A2C5-A96056F99CE7.thumb.png.2b56c4a7964bd42cab7a70be7b37c3c3.png

we keep getting these well mixed cool shots where the coldest anomalies are in the mid levels

namconus_T850a_neus_25.png

namconus_T2ma_neus_5.png

We may be a little ahead of ourselves. Autumn with perfect storm tracks for snow does not usually precede the best winters. In Autumn storms are often hooking to the left more. And if during winter there is good blocking over the North Atlantic and ample cold air this is not a concern. Even in the best of winters, some storms are going to hook left and bring rain to the coast. If they all tracked perfectly we'd get more than 100" snow. Not going to happen.

WX/PT

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Noted on Rain totals from late Thursday through Monday of early next week.  ENS amounts are generally near 1.4".  Far too early for me to tell if it will be a bigger event, and timing is very different between the Canadian and USA models (CMC vs GFS) with CMC models mostly next Monday here in the NYC subforum.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, wdrag said:

Noted on Rain totals from late Thursday through Monday of early next week.  ENS amounts are generally near 1.4".  Far too early for me to tell if it will be a bigger event, and timing is very different between the Canadian and USA models (CMC vs GFS) with CMC models mostly next Monday here in the NYC subforum.

I just checked (00z/8) machine learning AI and there is no GEFS outlook of excessive rain, even the lowest probs.  Remembering for yesterday..the SPC HREF had no probs of 1,2,3" in 6 hours. Obviously that was wrong for 1 and 2 but it was not concentrated probs, so for me modeling is suggesting, caution ahead til we get closer. 

Those SPC HREF probs differed for the big one on the 29th when there were 6 hours probs for 3" near NYC. 

Tomorrow will be another brisk and cool day. Temperatures will remain below 60° in parts of the region. Temperatures will slowly warm afterward.

Looking farther ahead, there is the possibility of a moderate or significant rain and wind storm next weekend followed by another round of unseasonably cool air.

The ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly was +2.8°C and the Region 3.4 anomaly was +1.5°C for the week centered around September 27. For the past six weeks, the ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly has averaged +2.90°C and the ENSO Region 3.4 anomaly has averaged +1.58°C. El Niño conditions will likely continue to strengthen into the fall with the current East-based event transitioning to a basinwide El Niño for the upcoming winter.

The SOI was -6.45 today.

The preliminary Arctic Oscillation (AO) was -0.714 today.

Based on sensitivity analysis applied to the latest guidance, there is an implied 56% probability that New York City will have a warmer than normal October (1991-2020 normal). October will likely finish with a mean temperature near 58.5° (0.6° above normal).

• Like 2

Still in my mind uncertainty regarding timing and amounts of rain NYC subforum based 00z/06z global ops and ensembles. I saw a channel broadcasting 2-3" amounts in parts of the area this weekend.  Could be, and I think the CMC 00z/9 version is wrong (too far south) being dry here, but yet it is a consideration for my incorporation.  AI day6 does have low prob excessive in central-s NJ. 

Noted ensemble pattern seems to favor some sort of rain event the following weekend as well (21st-22nd) but the 24 hour yield is not much, so far. 718A/9.

• Sad 1