Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Wake Me Up When September Ends..Obs/Diso

40/70 Benchmark

17 minutes ago, kdxken said:

That was my first thought. Why would frogs lay their eggs in the fall?

When Hurricane Isabel swept through Connecticut Sept. 19, it rained cats and dogs. At the Berlin home of Primo D’Agata, it also rained frogs. Well, eggs, anyway. Amphibian for sure, though no one knows exactly what kind.

Mr. D’Agata says he thought they were hailstones. They looked like small pearls on his deck, he said. Only these didn’t melt. On closer inspection, they were sticky, with tiny dark centers. Mr. D’Agata took some to the New Britain Youth Museum at Hungerford Park, where a naturalist, Nicolas Diaz, offered a well-educated guess: amphibian eggs; a gift via Isabel from some southern swampland — most likely in the Carolinas. Central Connecticut State University’s biology department is investigating. So far, the evidence supports Mr. Diaz’s hypothesis.

Mr. Diaz says that amphibians in the Northeast reproduce in spring and early summer, when its wet. By fall, egg-laying is over. But in subtropical climes, the season of love lingers.

Steven Newman, a professor of meteorology at Central Connecticut State University, concurs. He explains that hurricanes often harbor a tornado or two as they make landfall. Isabel likely picked up the eggs as she hit ground in the Carolinas. Tossed high into the atmosphere — as high as 40,000 to 60,000 feet — the eggs could have stayed in circulation until reaching Connecticut. Mr. Newman says there are several accounts of this phenomenon — the biblical plague of frogs in Egypt possibly being one. In a more recent story, Mr. Newman says a severe thunderstorm once carried off a flock of geese and then deposited them far off-course — and frozen.

https://www.courant.com/2003/10/06/cloudy-chance-of-frogs/

• Thanks 4

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Brutal day today with wind-whipped upslope rain and mid-50s.

Base of ski area only had 0.27” yesterday but over 1.00” so far today on NW flow.

Very cold-season like evolution… miss the first round to the east and then get it on the cyclonic backside flow.

Was thinking the same thing.  Raining moderately in Waterbury and nothing by the time I got home. Reminded me of winter when the hills are shrouded in snow all day and I get barely a trace.

2 hours ago, tamarack said:

Doubly incredible - frogs lay their eggs in the spring around here, so the tadpoles can mature well before frost.

2.19" from this event, 42.60" on the year, which is 8" AN, plus any further September rain.  Again, the towns to the west were wetter - Farmington 3.15" and Temple with 2.90".  Combining this event with last Wednesday's downpour (and ignoring the 0.02-0.03" from Lee), Farmington recorded ~6.5", Temple 4.6" and 2.5" here. 
Steined.

42.51" here Tom, We're close to the same.

2 hours ago, mreaves said:

Was thinking the same thing.  Raining moderately in Waterbury and nothing by the time I got home. Reminded me of winter when the hills are shrouded in snow all day and I get barely a trace.

This would’ve been a good one in the winter, ha.

Mountain got crushed today in upslope.  I’ve got around 0.50” in the Stratus in town (2-day total of only ~0.80”)… but the base of the ski area picked up three times the amount.

Look at that gradient over a few miles.  Like 12 hours straight of 2x to 3x the rainfall rate up at the ski area compared to town.

In winter it’s like cleaning 16” off the car and driving 7 minutes to find 5” in town, lol.

7EDDC55F-020D-49BF-92F5-AA2A9B6A91EB.jpeg.9f6bd86ed5816a82a6143ab54b489640.jpeg