Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Wake Me Up When September Ends..Obs/Diso

40/70 Benchmark

12 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I’m with @RUNNAWAYICEBERG this morning.

Boring is fine. Fall is the best time of year IMO, and having some days where you can actually be outside and enjoy the “Goldilocks zone” without thinking about wx isn’t necessarily a bad thing.

When the late season homebrew threat for the Gulf or October nor’easter that blasts the Cape comes along I’ll be ready. Until then, we embrace the epic beauty of seasonal transition.

We need a break after the wet and sticky summer. I had to put off my large outdoor project in June because of the humidity. I also got local skin cancer on my neck so I need to be smarter being out in the sun during the summer. Now the sun angle is lower so I have more shade on my property to continue the project and 70/50 sunny days makes it that much more enjoyable. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

3 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I hate fall. If I want to see pretty colors I'll buy a giant bag of skittles. 

Not just about foliage, which is spectacular. September has high end tropical in the basin. October has homebrew and a more pronounced step down in temperature. In late September through part of October there’s a period where normal weather is literally perfect—not too hot or cold, not too wet or dry. Then you transition to the occasional coastal storm as the days get shorter late October into November. It’s a fantastic season. 

As I’ve grown to loathe winter (tracking) I love and embrace fall even more. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

We need a break after the wet and sticky summer. I had to put off my large outdoor project in June because of the humidity. I also got local skin cancer on my neck so I need to be smarter being out in the sun during the summer. Now the sun angle is lower so I have more shade on my property to continue the project and 70/50 sunny days makes it that much more enjoyable. 

Hope you’re ok

4 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Yikes...sorry to hear that. Hope all is well. 

Probably some road damage in Farmington last evening - 2 hours of blinding rain 6-8 PM, had to go 15 mph while going thru the UMF campus about 6:20 and at 8 waded at 5 mph thru the huge pond in front of Giffords.  Some cocorahs numbers for my site (NS), Temple, and the average of 2 Farmington sites north of town center:

NS          Temple     Farmington
9/13     0.26"         1.26"         0.48"
9/14     0.33"         1.71"          3.34"

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Hope you're good man. Glad it was caught.

12 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Not just about foliage, which is spectacular. September has high end tropical in the basin. October has homebrew and a more pronounced step down in temperature. In late September through part of October there’s a period where normal weather is literally perfect—not too hot or cold, not too wet or dry. Then you transition to the occasional coastal storm as the days get shorter late October into November. It’s a fantastic season. 

As I’ve grown to loathe winter (tracking) I love and embrace fall even more. 

I like warm falls these days, but still want a couple cold shots to kill the bugs and remind us winter is getting close. I usually like to see first flakes in late October or early November.

Those frigid Septembers back in the late 1980s/early 1990s were useless. (except seeing snow on the last day of Sept 1992....that actually was pretty awesome)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Modfan2 said:

So I ended with 2.41” here yesterday in E Brooklyn, cross Route 6 north here in town and 5-7” with many roads flooded or washed out. Throw in a tornado for good measure (and I am pretty confident it went right over my hood) and that’s one of the best severe threats that Wiz hasn’t hyped!

Curious why, most of the heavy rain and even tornadic events here happened in higher elevations of Windham County, a reason why? Luck of the draw?

Saw debris on Rt12 right before Big Y. That circ was tight overhead. Pretty sure I saw a funnel but it was quickly obscured by rain. 

20230914_101930.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

I like warm falls these days, but still want a couple cold shots to kill the bugs and remind us winter is getting close. I usually like to see first flakes in late October or early November.

Those frigid Septembers back in the late 1980s/early 1990s were useless. (except seeing snow on the last day of Sept 1992....that actually was pretty awesome)

Northern Maine had 2-6" on Sept 30, 1991. 
Ironically, on that same date in 1986 a supercell flattened 600 acres 10-12 miles south of Fort Kent.  I've never seen any evaluation from CAR, but the straight-line damage suggested 90-100 mph - perfectly sound sugar maples were snapped off before they could be uprooted.  The swath was 4 miles long and up to 1/2 mile wide, ending as it blew trees into the north end of Square Lake.

• Like 1

One aspect I like about autumn ... particularly going past the Met mid point, is the tracking the first snowfall.  You may even get a couple of shots at it  ... A flurry from a busted virga cu doesn't really count in this - although, that air mass is kind of romantic if someone's wood stove is adding sentiment.  You sometimes get the obvious chance, but you might also get those cold cat paw rains that 'smell' like snow?   All the while, if they fail, you got like 4 months of retries so no sweat.

Although I do start to tune out by mid February if and when the winter's are long and unproductive.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

One aspect I like about autumn ... particularly going past the Met mid point, is the tracking the first snowfall.  You may even get a couple of shots at it  ... A flurry from a busta virga cu doesn't really count in this - although, that air mass is kind of romantic if someone's wood stove is adding sentiment.  You sometimes get the obvious chance, but you might also get those cold cat paw rains that 'smell' like snow?   All the while, if they fail, you got like 4 months of retries so no sweat.

Although I start tune out by mid February if and when the winter's are long and unproductive.

I love that as much as snow.

• Weenie 2

3 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Glad they caught it. My bro in lawn got melanoma on his forehead a few years ago....just barely caught it in time.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Glad they caught it. My bro in lawn got melanoma on his forehead a few years ago....just barely caught it in time.

Wow, lucky. I have to get checked every 6mo now and if all good after 3 visits, I have my checkups 1x per year. I’ll go every month if they want though, eff that. Thankfully my kids have my wife’s skin tone but now that they saw my stitches and understand why, they don’t complain when mom puts on sunscreen…in fact, they put it on themselves now lol. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Wow, lucky. I have to get checked every 6mo now and if all good after 3 visits, I have my checkups 1x per year. I’ll go every month if they want though, eff that. Thankfully my kids have my wife’s skin tone but now that they saw my stitches and understand why, they don’t complain when mom puts on sunscreen…in fact, they put it on themselves now lol. 

I had a few basal cell carcinoma patches removed in my late 20s.  Haven’t had any since then.  I do try to cover up or use sunscreen but I sometimes forget. 

22 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I had a few basal cell carcinoma patches removed in my late 20s.  Haven’t had any since then.  I do try to cover up or use sunscreen but I sometimes forget. 

That’s what I had removed, a big patch on the back of my neck. Glad you haven’t had any since but I suspect I will have more to remove moving forward. Do you still get checked every year?

6 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

You getting treatment? My golfing buddy got it on his ass and has been getting radiation treatment after they cut it out, says it's been wiping him out and can't golf the Tourney Sat. Better than chemo, they think they got it and hopefully he's ok.

2 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

That’s what I had removed, a big patch on the back of my neck. Glad you haven’t had any since but I suspect I will have more to remove moving forward. Do you still get checked every year?

When I go for my yearly physical the doctor gives me a look over.  I did recently change doc so I will need to let them know