Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
September Discobs 2023

George BM

21 hours ago, pazzo83 said:

what a wild year that must have been.  Folks in March thinking - oh man, this summer is gonna be brutal if it's already this hot.  And then... lol.

I remember thinking that during the five-day April heat wave in 1976. Then the summer was markedly cool, downright chilly at times away from the urban heat island. (Average low at IAD barely broke 60 in July and was a nippy 58.4 in August!) setting the stage for the memorable winter of '77.

Should IAD reach 99 or better today, that would tie July 2012, July 2011, July 1993, and July 1986, for second most 99+ readings in a month. The most is 5, set in July 1988.

Looking through the records, the only periods with 3 consecutive days with highs at or above 99 that I could find were July 5-7, 1986 (99, 100, 99); July 8-10, 1993 (100, 99, 99); July 21-23, 2011 (100, 105, 99); and August 11-13, 2021 (99, 100, 99). There do not appear to be any recorded stretches of 4 or more consecutive days at or above 99F, so if it reaches 99F or better today, that would be the first time 4 consecutive days have occurred.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Not saying that it isn’t spicy out, but I’m still finding this to be a tolerable heat wave. I’m kinda enjoying it (from a classic summer vibe) and would take it over the “nicer weather” we had that was accompanied by periodic wildfire smoke. Only meh thing is that pools have closed. Hopefully we get some boomers to bookend the season.

• Like 1

• mappy unpinned this topic