Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Idalia

hlcater

3 minutes ago, Yeoman said:

Look at all of those palm fronds on the road! Pretty lame winds for the eyewall of a Cat 3

They were too far SE, and driving like grandma to get to the eye. Then they got there and were like "we are in the eye"!! Yeah, where nothing interesting is happening. Perry was the place to be- raked by the intact NW eyewall.

1 hour ago, NorthHillsWx said:

Charley could be a similar analog (though that storm was slightly stronger) as to what this wind damage corridor will look like. Extreme wind damage to very little just a few miles away

I think Orlando would disagree with that, unless you're talking homes demolished. 

3 minutes ago, StormChaser4Life said:

Wind reports seem very underwhelming for a high end cat 3 landfall. I guess part of that could be less populated area it's hitting. I haven't seen anything sustained hurricane wind reports or any gusts of major hurricane force. 

I think less populated and confined to a small area.  Very small core with Idalia.  Not to mention rather meh eastern half.  Strong winds confined to tight area on western side.  No obs available on the immediate coast where landfall took place.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, StormChaser4Life said:

Wind reports seem very underwhelming for a high end cat 3 landfall. I guess part of that could be less populated area it's hitting. I haven't seen anything sustained hurricane wind reports or any gusts of major hurricane force. 

If not there, Perry has gotten close. CNN has been showing major live oak tree damage, including whole trees being knocked down. Some of these huge trees are likely at least several hundred years old.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, StormChaser4Life said:

Entirely due to a tiny core of winds (roughly 15 miles diameter of maximum winds with the eroding inner eyewall) and it hitting a WMA instead of a town. Inland gusts rarely reach MH strength even in the worst storms. IDA in particular was able to generate gusts to MH strength well inland but that’s bc the topography of that area is basically an inland sea especially with surge. I have no doubt MH+ winds occurred in a small area near the coast where this thing came ashore. I think we’ll see gusts to 100+ as it starts impacting a few more populated areas and the wind field expands 

5 minutes ago, NorthHillsWx said:

Entirely due to a tiny core of winds (roughly 15 miles diameter of maximum winds with the eroding inner eyewall) and it hitting a WMA instead of a town. Inland gusts rarely reach MH strength even in the worst storms. IDA in particular was able to generate gusts to MH strength well inland but that’s bc the topography of that area is basically an inland sea especially with surge. I have no doubt MH+ winds occurred in a small area near the coast where this thing came ashore. I think we’ll see gusts to 100+ as it starts impacting a few more populated areas and the wind field expands 

That and the strongest winds were probably missed by any real obs on the right side of the eye which is going with the motion of the storm. When a storm is moving this fast that makes a big difference. Perry actually ended up barely to the west of it.

3 minutes ago, eyewall said:

That and the strongest winds were probably missed by any real obs on the right side of the eye which is going with the motion of the storm. When a storm is moving this fast that makes a big difference. Perry actually ended up barely to the west of it.

Valdosta looks to be a test to see what these winds are like in a more concentrated population center. 

Hurricane Idalia Tropical Cyclone Update
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL       AL102023
900 AM EDT Wed Aug 30 2023

...CATASTROPHIC STORM SURGE OCCURING ALONG THE COAST OF THE 
FLORIDA BIG BEND AND DAMAGING WINDS SPREADING INLAND OVER 
NORTHERN FLORIDA...
...900 AM POSITION UPDATE...

NOAA radar data indicate that the maximum sustained winds are 
now near 110 mph (175 km/h) with higher gusts. The estimated 
minimum pressure based on surface observations is 957 mb (28.26 
inches). 

An automated weather station at Perry Airport recently reported a 
sustained wind of 62 mph (100 km/h) with a gust to 85 mph (137 
km/h) within the past hour.

A Florida Coastal Monitoring Program tower located near Perry,
Florida, recently reported a wind gust of 81 mph (130 km/h). 

A NOAA National Ocean Service tide gauge at Cedar Key, Florida, 
recently reported a water level of 6.8 feet above mean higher high 
water, which is an approximation of inundation in that area

1 hour ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

This is going to be one of the worst canes in history for Georgia IMO...perhaps the worst.

Michael crushed extreme SW GA. Both of my parents' families are from Seminole County, and they got 110+ MPH winds out of Michael, with corresponding damage.

Also, even though it's not a hurricane, it would take A LOT to overtake the damage caused by TS Alberto in 1994. That one made landfall at Destin, tracked across AL and GA and parked in north GA for days, causing catastrophic flooding downstream in SW GA.

• Like 2

Just now, jpljr77 said:

Michael crushed extreme SW GA. Both of my parents' families are from Seminole County, and they got 110+ MPH winds out of Michael, with corresponding damage.

Also, even though it's not a hurricane, it would take A LOT to overtake the damage caused by TS Alberto in 1994. That one made landfall at Destin, tracked across AL and GA and parked in north GA for days, causing catastrophic flooding downstream in SW GA.

Yes, I thought of that one when I typed that. I should have specified wind.