• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Idalia

hlcater

So lets say it makes landfall at 130 mph and is in Valdosta 3 hours later. Could that mean Valdosta could potentially see 100 mph sustained winds ?
Wind interacts differently inland for a TC versus over the water or right at the coast. You get gusting bursts due to friction and turbulence. 100+ mph gusts are definitely possible if that is where the core traverses.
  • Like 6

5 minutes ago, Windspeed said:

Wind interacts differently inland for a TC versus over the water or right at the coast. You get gusting bursts due to friction and turbulence. 100+ mph gusts are definitely possible if that is where the core traverses.

Yeah - that was the case with Hugo when it passed over Charlotte.  The damage was extensive.

I wanted to post these before I fall asleep. The recon got over 101 kt at flight level, for three passes as shown on the time series. The last two passes show some asymmetry. One buoy north of the storm says (39 kt) 45mph  gusting to (56 kt) 65mph (that's buoy 42036). So you might check this in about 1-2 hours to see if the buoy picks out the highest wind speeds or lowest pressures.

a19eb6cc-f674-4f96-bec0-a68883c2daf1.jpg

2023_08_29_1151pmedt_KTBW.jpg

recon_NOAA3-1210A-IDALIA_timeseries (4).png

plot_met (1).png

plot_met.png

• Like 4

To add to the previous post above about inland wind potential, I am curious how the core and southern semicircle of the cyclone will evolve as it increases forward motion across N.Florida and SE Georgia. The system will be interacting with the eastern trough. The potential for large swaths of downed old growth along major routes and interstates is there.

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Windspeed said:

Speed is what might make the difference. I know when Hurricane Charley zipped across FL, Orlando had its highest gust ever at 108 amd that was pretty far from landfall. What surprised me is FL building codes are only to 130ish where this may landfall. I would think Valdosta older buildings/roofs could see high damage if hurricane force winds are sustained. 

3 minutes ago, MattPetrulli said:

Dry air may be affecting the east side of the storm a bit, more squally than focused CDO atm. Also may have contributed to eyewall possibly opening up.

2ecc99b6c43af11a7ffe4425cd1145e3.png

Eyewall is closed, no dry air entrainment whatsoever into the core. All is good, what you are seeing is land interaction, friction induced.

IMG_3190.png

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, CoralRed said:

So is what we see in the graphic on the left going to happen? I saw this at dailymail.com but the article didn't discuss it. If the two storms interacted in the Atlantic, what would happen? 

download.jpeg

Franklin about to jet ENE.  The storms will be a few thousand miles apart by Friday.  

• Thanks 1

-0Z CMC as expected in correction mode shifted vs the 12Z to the right significantly (~50 miles) to far NW Taylor County

-0Z ICON vs 18Z shifted very slightly left (~5 miles) to SE Taylor County

-0Z GFS vs 18Z shifted left 15 miles into far NW Taylor County

-0Z UKMET about same as 18Z in south central Taylor County

-0Z Euro vs 12Z shifted 20 miles right to C Taylor County

*Edited to add Euro

• Like 4