Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Thursday, July 27, 2023 Severe Weather Potential

weatherwiz

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

I can count on my thumbs the severe TS I've experienced since moving to Maine in 1973, though a 3rd one hit our Fort Kent home while I was in the woods 35 miles to the west, where we had a sprinkle with the gust front.  Neither of the two were at our place - one was in the woods about 20 miles south of MLT and the other was at the Farmington office.  Lots of close ones, though, especially 8/30/2007 when several thousand acres were defoliated - some partially debarked - by hail 6-8 miles SE from our current home.

Tuesday was the perfect storm here as you had the outflow boundary from the cells that went thru the Jay/Livermore area drop SE as the sea breeze front was moving NW so you had a convergence zone where the cells fired and trained along that front at 10 mph over the same area which is a rare occurrence.

Two period forecast was 1-1.5" (3/4-1 day, 1/4-1/2 evening), verifies at 0.11".  Sun peeking thru some holes in the clouds.  Since July 2 that's been the trend here.  After 16.5" in 64 days, we're now busily dodging anything that looks like serious wx.  Maybe we cash in on Saturday; if not, looks like low PWATs next week.  At least we get some real CAA for the first time in many weeks.

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

Ryan said there wasn’t. Kind of meh overall. 

Very meh. Not many reports at all given radar.

Radar velocities were very impressive off ALY/BOX but a lot of that was aloft and didn't mix down. Given the strong LLJ not surprised to see strong winds picked up aloft but am surprised we didn't see much in terms of damage.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

Radar velocities were very impressive off ALY/BOX but a lot of that was aloft and didn't mix down. Given the strong LLJ not surprised to see strong winds picked up aloft but am surprised we didn't see much in terms of damage.

It's fine the ground is soaked, the trees don't need any help in falling down.

5 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

Scanners had dozens of trees down etc, I guess I should have specified the severity of the damage.

• Weenie 1

1 minute ago, Modfan2 said:

How was the lighting, looks like it was pretty decent 

Something got hit within 2-3 houses. It was the very first bolt before storm hit. I heard a zipping sound.. a pop and instant crash. Could hear neighbors screaming right after. After that most of the lightning was a mile or two north