Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July Discobs 2023

George BM

8 minutes ago, 09-10 analogy said:

Oh, yeah, vehicles. They've got sirens too. 

I'm so dense sometimes. 

it'd be nice to have storm sirens though. I lived in Minneapolis for a few years in the pre-internet years and they were very useful if you weren't near a radio or a TV.

21 minutes ago, 09-10 analogy said:

You have severe weather sirens out there? I usually associate that with places like Oklahoma or Kansas. Of course I've never lived in a semi-rural area ... correct me if I'm wrong if you don't ... so maybe that's de rigueur  in most places.

I remember driving through S/C Oklahoma once, through the town of Frederick. On the SW side of town, every other telephone pole, it seemed, had a speaker. I assume it was for the sirens and that they were located there to warn of storms/tornadoes approaching from the SW. But that's just supposition on my part; maybe there were there just to play selections from a Rogers and Hammerstein musical on Cadillac Day, for all I know. Anyway, the sight of those sirens made me think of tiny vulnerable towns in the Great Plains, which could be suddenly eradicated from existence by a Greensburg/Udall type event, and these little sirens were a brave way of trying to mitigate existential (and usually nighttime) destruction. 

Jarrettsville Volunteer Fire Company would sound their box call siren - at the time a Federal Signal STH-10 - on continuous blast for 5 minutes whenever the area was in a red box (tornado warning). 

After they replaced the STH-10 with a Whelen Omni-Alert OA-2, this stopped.  I guess now with most civilians carrying cell phones capable of receiving alerts they don't bother.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, GramaxRefugee said:

Was it @Jebman?

Been mostly cloudless here (and in Bowie)

It was me. I was visiting, and because I am from the Texas Heat Dome Inferno Region, I think a 104 heat index is a major Arctic incursion. It was downright comfortable out, and I enjoyed the run.

Its been so damned hot in Texas, that we think upper 90s are like a Thanksgiving weather front in Boston. We had at least a week of heat indices near 120 degrees. It was like 103 with dewpoints in the upper 70s, believe it or not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlizzardNole said:

Dang now I see some stuff that just popped to your north moving east.  Sorry! :(

Mr J has gone into his office this whole week. He works from home still but they are working on getting a product out. Anyways it was taking him a long time to get home. He took 28 and got caught in stopped traffic in the storms down there. Finally took a detour only to encounter a downed tree. Was able to get around it and get home. Was probably still better than 270 in the rain. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic