Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July Discobs 2023

George BM

• H2O pinned this topic
9 hours ago, George BM said:

Second half of the year arriving. Hopefully more eventful than the first half. 

Got that right!  Snowless winter followed by drought, smoke and consistently missing every good rains in every direction.  I hope the luck changes for my area.  I'd be happy to see ONE good thunderstorm this month.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CAPE said:

Kicking off July with a nice downpour.

Looked like this would be a quick hitting shower then clear out, but additional cells formed behind the initial line.

Ended up getting a decent little soaking with a few torrential downpours. 0.57"

Wasn't expecting anything with only a slight chance of showers in the forecast for today. Yardwork on hold.

Disco from Mount Holly on the rain threat for later today and tonight-

The main focus for this evening and tonight will be the potential for convection. The greatest instability will be located across our western zones this afternoon and early evening. Guidance indicates this will spread east into tonight as the aforementioned height falls and shortwaves begin streaming into the area. Guidance, including the CAMs, are notoriously poor at accurately modeling these types of subtly forced nocturnal convective regimes. If you need any proof, have a look at the past several days upstream across the central CONUS. Thus predictability and confidence in the details of the convection for tonight is low. Fortunately we do have some synoptic clues to help us out. As of now, it appears the greatest potential for convection will begin ramping up in our western zones around 4-6 PM or so, with increasing chances of convection spreading gradually eastward by the 8 PM to 12 AM time frame. The greatest height falls and instability appear to be during the 12-4 AM time frame, thus this is when PoPs with this forecast package are the greatest in the likely range. As one may guess, the PoPs will likely need to be adjusted in future updates as confidence in the details of timing and coverage of convection increase.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

Once again, due west storm movement today.  Time to turn on the sprinklers.

I see sw to northeast movement. I agree though.. West to east messes my back yard up due to downsloping.. But a 74 degree dewpoint should provide enough moisture.. I feel if the atmosphere can sneeze today it will bring rain. 

Muggy 81/74.. Feels like 88 degrees here in Purcellville. 

Miserable 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

Had a solid line approach from the SW and it split right around us.  We're getting light drizzle while thunder booms.  .03".  Jesus fucking christ.  Why did i move back to this cursed place.

Luckily I have no terrain induced impacts here. Every place is basically sea level (or below :lol:). If I were to move further inland I would specifically seek out the upslope areas of the western highlands. No way I could deal with the climo of the leeward valleys/rainshadows. Might as well just stay here lol.

• Like 1

Weather is looking busy back east. Meanwhile, it’s 105 and sunny in Vegas…and will be approaching 110 the next couple days. I’ve been told this is their first 100 degree pattern since last year.

Also, from a weather geek perspective, it was cool seeing the snowcaps of the Rockies en route here. They definitely had a fun winter.

Anyhow. good to see that the pattern has turned stormier back home, though if I’m gonna take a biking break I guess I picked a good time.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic