Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July Banter 2023

George BM

1 hour ago, vastateofmind said:

Moving this over to banter, and I know this gets asked from time to time, but....which wx station do you have? I'm really jonesing to replace the one I had IMBY years ago and just haven't gotten around to it.

I have the Davis Vantage Vue, with WeatherLink 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

Os rolling now. 5 days ago I thought they'd be barely hanging onto a wild card spot at the break. 

Nice bounce back week.

Undefeated in the Colton Cowser era. What a day for the organization. Most wins at the AS break since 97, promoted the #1 prospect in baseball to AA, promoted Coby Mayo to AAA, and about to draft 3 new prospects. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

Undefeated in the Colton Cowser era. What a day for the organization. Most wins at the AS break since 97, promoted the #1 prospect in baseball to AA, promoted Coby Mayo to AAA, and about to draft 3 new prospects. 

I am floored we got Bradfield Jr. This dude could be a major catalyst for the top of the order some day. Lightning fast, awesome defense, and a great approach at the plate. He's one of those 50+ SB in a season type talents. Those don't grow on trees at this caliber. 

• Like 3

The Orioles have too much young infield talent between the players who are now on the team and those currently in the farm system. They are in a great position to make a couple deals at the deadline. They really need another starter and could use a mid/late inning reliever.

• Like 2

lol love this

The Orioles need to trade for Shohei Ohtani

The O’s have punished their fans enough and can reward them with a parade

https://deadspin.com/the-baltimore-orioles-need-to-trade-for-shohei-ohtani-1850614365

It shouldn’t even be a ridiculous notion for the Orioles to try and sign Ohtani long-term, even if his preference is to remain on the West Coast. The Orioles roster is about to be filled with cost controlled players they developed. Their highest paid player under contract next year is their fucking backup catcher James McCann at $12 million. They have $18 million committed to the roster for 2024, before arbitration and other non-free agent deals have to be cut. Which will hardly be anything. Handing Ohtani $50 million a year would hardly be crippling. Hand him $60 or $70 million, the Os have it to play with.

Most of all, Orioles fans deserve the bone. They had to sit through one of the most cynical teardowns in the sport’s history, while simultaneously watching their team be in the center of a rich kids’ pissing contest, and hear whispers of the team being dangled to Nashville even though they play in one of the most gorgeous parks in MLB.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MillvilleWx said:

I am floored we got Bradfield Jr. This dude could be a major catalyst for the top of the order some day. Lightning fast, awesome defense, and a great approach at the plate. He's one of those 50+ SB in a season type talents. Those don't grow on trees at this caliber. 

Self evidently seems like someone poised to replace Mullins potentially. Apparently some questions about his hitting, but if there’s one biggest strength about the new Orioles player development, it’s turning prospects into absolute beasts at the plate. I bet they can polish up his hitting.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CAPE said:

The Orioles have too much young infield talent between the players who are now on the team and those currently in the farm system. They are in a great position to make a couple deals at the deadline. They really need another starter and could use a mid/late inning reliever.

They don't have enough infield spots for all the talent they have.  It's a great problem to have. 

And Jackson Holiday could be pushing to be in the show next year 

They really don't have any top tier pitching Talent other than Rodriguez. 

Will be interesting to see what Elias does over the next 3 weeks.

If your going to give up top 100 prospects hopefully you can get a top of the rotation starter under team control for a few years.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, H2O said:

3.5 hour B meets are a grind

True...especially the final one of the season.

We swam the biggest team in our B Meet group last night. They're the f*cking worst, which made the meet all that much more annoying. They showed up at our pool with a cocky-as-hell attitude, and even their Reps did nothing about it after we mentioned it multiple times. My (female) co-Rep was ready to throw down :lol:

32 minutes ago, mattie g said:

We swam the biggest team in our B Meet group last night. They're the f*cking worst, which made the meet all that much more annoying. They showed up at our pool with a cocky-as-hell attitude, and even their Reps did nothing about it after we mentioned it multiple times. My (female) co-Rep was ready to throw down :lol:

They acted that way for a B meet?  Weird.  

Ours was against @vastateofmind former team.  The combo of their team size and ours meant that it took over 2 hours to get thru free and back.  When you hear that 8&Us have 5 heats and 9-10s too you are in for a long evening.  My only complaint was clerks not stacking lanes to fill all the way.  Just combo the shit out of events and if they are mixed boy/girl then just do it.  Fill 6 lanes as much as possible.  

So between team size and wanting to do IMs as well it meant a long night.  My knees and back were tapping out after 2.5 hours.  But my data people are so fricken awesome.  They knew I was hungry and they got me some pizza.  Then I had to figure out how to yell "timers clear" with a mouth full of za.  

I swear that snack bars need to have concession sellers walking around like sporting events.  Cold beer!, donuts!, ice cream!

One last A meet saturday then I have one more B meet to go.  We do a B meet for kids that won't do divisionals and also they hold an IM invite at another.  So for this next monday I will make up some "special" water for my timers to say thanks for all the help.  It might get sloppy but who cares.  Last B meet and it will be fun.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mattie g said:

Our club's location gives us the (mis-)fortune of having most of our B Meets against D1/D2 pools.  (By comparison, we are D10 and quite happy to be there.)  Most of them have large teams and LOTS of B Meet swimmers.  It can make for long evenings, especially when we do IM.  Last night we were at Tuckahoe, which has an enormous team.  We hosted them for a B Meet a few years ago and the meet ended at 10:15, so we were prepared for the worst.  Incredibly, however, we finished last night at 7:40.  Small miracle!

They were ruthlessly efficient in combining age groups to fill lanes (plus they have 8 lanes).  So nice to get home at a reasonable time.

1 hour ago, H2O said:

They acted that way for a B meet?  Weird.  

Ours was against @vastateofmind former team.  The combo of their team size and ours meant that it took over 2 hours to get thru free and back.  When you hear that 8&Us have 5 heats and 9-10s too you are in for a long evening.  My only complaint was clerks not stacking lanes to fill all the way.  Just combo the shit out of events and if they are mixed boy/girl then just do it.  Fill 6 lanes as much as possible.  

So between team size and wanting to do IMs as well it meant a long night.  My knees and back were tapping out after 2.5 hours.  But my data people are so fricken awesome.  They knew I was hungry and they got me some pizza.  Then I had to figure out how to yell "timers clear" with a mouth full of za.  

I swear that snack bars need to have concession sellers walking around like sporting events.  Cold beer!, donuts!, ice cream!

One last A meet saturday then I have one more B meet to go.  We do a B meet for kids that won't do divisionals and also they hold an IM invite at another.  So for this next monday I will make up some "special" water for my timers to say thanks for all the help.  It might get sloppy but who cares.  Last B meet and it will be fun.  

Two hour for free and back...yeah, no. lol We had four heats in one or two events last night, but it was maybe two heats per event on average.

They strolled in and made comments about us being D15 team, commented on how some of our less-experienced swimmers did, wouldn't shut the F up in clerk of course, had kids yelling on the blocks after the long whistle, etc. Just lots and lots of unsportsmanlike behavior that was inappropriate at any meet, whether competitive or not. There was one point when some of their older boys were being incredibly rude to our younger kids, so our soft-spoken 19-yo coach laid into them. It just wasn't cool all around. It was bad enough that a senior official from their team reached out to a coach of ours this morning and apologized for their team sucking.

That's awesome about your data folks, but yeah...clerk needs to get hose lanes filled for B Meets! Neat idea for the additional B Meet. I do recall you mentioning the "special water" last year. Love it!

We're so small that a most of the kids who will be around for Divisionals will get to swim (plenty of our better swimmers aren't in town), so it's a good send off for them. But we still host an IM Carnival this Thursday, have an A Meet away on Saturday, then our Lolliop Meet and Community Relays next Thursday prior to hosting Divisionals. Still a TON to do until we're off the hook!

1 hour ago, hstorm said:

Our club's location gives us the (mis-)fortune of having most of our B Meets against D1/D2 pools.  (By comparison, we are D10 and quite happy to be there.)  Most of them have large teams and LOTS of B Meet swimmers.  It can make for long evenings, especially when we do IM.  Last night we were at Tuckahoe, which has an enormous team.  We hosted them for a B Meet a few years ago and the meet ended at 10:15, so we were prepared for the worst.  Incredibly, however, we finished last night at 7:40.  Small miracle!

They were ruthlessly efficient in combining age groups to fill lanes (plus they have 8 lanes).  So nice to get home at a reasonable time.

Yeah...figured that might be the case for you guys. That really sounds rough for a lot of your meets...but finishing a B Meet at 7:40? How in the hell did you do that, even with 8 lanes?! Are those teams pretty chill, all things considered? I just can't shake the impression I have that all those teams are always amped up and uber competitive in everything they do.

It's funny how relative it is when talking about team size. The team we swam with last night has 170 kids. We have 96 (including our littles), so they're MASSIVE compared to us. The rest of our B Meet group is currently D9 (last night), D10, D13, D14, and D15, with only the D15 team being about the same size as us. The D13 and D14 teams are like 120 kids or so and the D10 team has 150. I honestly don't know what I'd do if we had that many kids. :lol:

5 minutes ago, mattie g said:

Yeah...figured that might be the case for you guys. That really sounds rough for a lot of your meets...but finishing a B Meet at 7:40? How in the hell did you do that, even with 8 lanes?! Are those teams pretty chill, all things considered? I just can't shake the impression I have that all those teams are always amped up and uber competitive in everything they do.

It's funny how relative it is when talking about team size. The team we swam with last night has 170 kids. We have 96 (including our littles), so they're MASSIVE compared to us. The rest of our B Meet group is currently D9 (last night), D10, D13, D14, and D15, with only the D15 team being about the same size as us. The D13 and D14 teams are like 120 kids or so and the D10 team has 150. I honestly don't know what I'd do if we had that many kids. :lol:

Our B Meet lineup this year was 2 D1s, D2, D3, and D7.  In my experience, the top-division teams cover the full spectrum from chill to intense.  Langley and Hamlet (who we schedule most years) are great and we always have fun B Meets with them, home or away.  The D1 elite -- the pools that are there every single year -- are much more serious about everything.  But both of our D1 B Meets this year were fine.  

On the 7:40 finish -- we started at 5:30, which helped, and no IM.  But there were still multiple 5 heat races for the little kids.  The biggest efficiency was an extra referee who could handle the stroke/turn DQ discussions without a big delay to the start of the next heat.  That one added efficiency likely saved 30 minutes by itself.  (I also think that all of the stroke/turn judges -- ours and theirs -- took a fairly relaxed approach to DQs . . . perhaps out of necessity given that each judge had to cover 4 lanes instead of the usual 3.)

Our team is around 150, excluding minis.  Although our our typical B Meet attendance is likely closer to half that number.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wxdude64 said:

Awesome!! 

Thanks! One of those long fly balls that went well over the right field outfielders head (I'm a lefty). Had I really sprinted, I probably could have scored, but we were up by quite a bit and I took it easy around the bases. Still pretty awesome though hahaha. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, mattie g said:

Everyone else is leaving Twitter, so they need someone new to follow.

:lol:

This is probably right :lol: 

Hell, even I'm looking to leave

7 hours ago, wxdude64 said:

I'd not sure that is a problem lol.  

I am still flabbergasted at the fact. All of them are very friendly and I even had a chat with Cantore after he followed me. Super nice. We met up in Saratoga Springs for the 25th annual Northeast Storms conference in 2015. He was jealous of how many times I'd had heard thundersnow lol

Being followed by CWG was really cool. I would love to meet @usedtobe at some point. Just have to watch out for that @Ian guy :D

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic