Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July Banter 2023

George BM

Chaser Report: 7/6/23

It was a classic hurry up and wait day, as a complex forecast evolved over eastern Colorado. I decided to hold in Denver, as the CAMs remained confident in the cap breaking and we had clearing that allowed for substantial destabilization. 

It was late afternoon when we had convective initiation, with two transient supercells just east of Denver. Both dropped funnels, and there were reports of a tornado and landspout. 

KzXeYdP.jpg

Once we reached Limon, things quickly picked up. New storms popped to my north

qrfGkWD.jpg

and south

YzZN7t0.jpg

MnmxN4d.jpg

It became apparent very quickly that the southern storms, which were explosively developing before my eyes in an environment of 3,000 SBCAPE, 2,500 MLCAPE and 50-70kts effective shear were the ones to track. The chase…was on…

What were distinct cells ended up congealing into a monster long track supercell with a hail core at at least one initial tornado report. 

WLDBVHW.jpg

yprmHMR.png

The sun was setting so it was hard to see how close it was to producing a tornado but I did see a wall cloud behind the frequent lightning. 

u35EgcE.jpg

LgUk5Vn.jpg

4z5U61q.jpg

sfZ7aDb.jpg

Rather than try to cut behind the storm and beat the other supercells that were developing to get to Lamar, I called it after these photos. It was an excellent call, as the supercell became tornado warned, dropped more baseball hail, and caused flash flooding along what would have been my route. 

The only downside is that yesterday became a nocturnal threat as the cap broke late. I pushed it to the limit and it paid off. It was an epic chase overall. This is my third time out here and each time I’m getting better at forecasting and tracking. 

• Like 18

23 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Os are now only 3 games out with the Rays losing 6 straight.

Their home schedule after the break is really nice with series against the Dodgers, Mets, Cards, and Astros in addition to the AL East teams. Hoping they don’t tail off after the break because late summer could be really exciting.

• Like 1

Ooof I’m battered and bruised this am. Took a line drive to the face at second last night, tipped my glove at the last moment before hitting my jaw area, thankfully deflected the worst of the smack. Then made a diving play to win us the game. 

• Like 13

10 minutes ago, mappy said:

Ooof I’m battered and bruised this am. Took a line drive to the face at second last night, tipped my glove at the last moment before hitting my jaw area, thankfully deflected the worst of the smack. Then made a diving play to win us the game. 

Glad you are ok, and congrats on the clutch play!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CAPE said:

Glad you are ok, and congrats on the clutch play!

Thanks, little bruising on my face this morning but all in all better than it could have been. Was pissed I didn’t catch it, was a reactionary response lol hard fought game against a team where we knew a lot of people. Won by 1, they had winning runs on bases when I got the last out.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mappy said:

OUCH!! Glad you are Ok after that. Congrats on the win!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mappy said:

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b952pzm2w3mmqbuzxynof

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, mappy said:

Taking one for the team!!  And just say you were in a bar fight and the other person looks a lot worse.

• Haha 3

Won our swim meet today to get to 3-1.  Next week will be the super tough meet that could make us 3-2(I'm fine with that) or 4-1(scary where that might put us for next year).

But honestly the best part of the meet was my oldest daughter swimming breast.  She wasn't going to get points due to other fast swimmers and came in 6th.  But here's the thing.  A couple years ago there was a meet where timers messed up her time and she got a ridiculously low time than what reality was.  Even though it was a bogus time(it was official) she had never been able to match it in the meets and years since.

Until today.  She dropped her real personal best time(like legit time per 3 good stopwatches) to finally get under a time she had wanted to break for well over 2 years.  The pure joy and happiness she had was just awesome.  Just fricken awesome.  I don't give a shit about the final score of the meet or that she was 6th.  Her.  Time.  Dropped.  And she was more proud of that than anything.  #prouddad

• Like 12

On 7/8/2023 at 8:33 AM, mappy said:

Oh that sucks, hope you are OK!  But nice to make a play that helped win the game!  I've seen my share of injuries in this softball league I used to play for and it's no joke.  A few years ago in 2019, I broke a finger playing 1st base (normally, I'm an outfielder but played 1st a few times).  On this one play, there was a wild and hard throw from our 3rd baseman that I had to dive for.  The ball nicked my gloved hand just wrong and bent my pinky finger back somehow.  At least I kept it in play and avoided the runner advancing to 2nd!  I attempted to bat in the bottom half of that inning but couldn't continue, so that was the end of my season.  Had to get a pin in the finger for about 6 weeks.  I don't play anymore, COVID kind of canceled any season in 2020 and 2021 though the league started back up last year.  Plus, just too much other stuff going on (and I'm getting a bit old for that now hahaha!).  But it was fun playing for about 17 seasons in that league, especially the tournament weekend each year!

1 hour ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Oh that sucks, hope you are OK!  But nice to make a play that helped win the game!  I've seen my share of injuries in this softball league I used to play for and it's no joke.  A few years ago in 2019, I broke a finger playing 1st base (normally, I'm an outfielder but played 1st a few times).  On this one play, there was a wild and hard throw from our 3rd baseman that I had to dive for.  The ball nicked my gloved hand just wrong and bent my pinky finger back somehow.  At least I kept it in play and avoided the runner advancing to 2nd!  I attempted to bat in the bottom half of that inning but couldn't continue, so that was the end of my season.  Had to get a pin in the finger for about 6 weeks.  I don't play anymore, COVID kind of canceled any season in 2020 and 2021 though the league started back up last year.  Plus, just too much other stuff going on (and I'm getting a bit old for that now hahaha!).  But it was fun playing for about 17 seasons in that league, especially the tournament weekend each year!

I’m good! It’s not a good softball season if I don’t walk away bruised haha. Love playing and going hard haha. Glad you had fun playing when you did!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, mappy said:

Lost power for a little bit, weather station has incorrect precip total now but radar says ~2.8” 

Moving this over to banter, and I know this gets asked from time to time, but....which wx station do you have? I'm really jonesing to replace the one I had IMBY years ago and just haven't gotten around to it.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic