Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July has arrived ... the Meteorologically defined mid summer month

Typhoon Tip

7 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

The jackpot for Irene was SW VT to S Central VT and E ‘Dacks.

Berkshire and Franklin County‘s in Massachusetts got hit pretty good with total QPF but not as bad as the aforementioned areas.

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

The whole state got nailed but I know that area was real bad.

In VT, it seemed like I-89 was a dividing line. South of 89 got it much worse, up to and including Waterbury. North of 89 had some damage but not nearly as bad. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, mreaves said:

In VT, it seemed like I-89 was a dividing line. South of 89 got it much worse, up to and including Waterbury. North of 89 had some damage but not nearly as bad. 

People literally had signs that said please help us. I know the Okemo area was crushed.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Yeah this map shows the road damage.  We got hit pretty hard around Stowe too but the terrain up here opens up quite a bit more.  Central VT has a lot more hilly terrain and narrow drainages.  It’s tighter so to speak.  Really multiplies that rainfall.  Up north and into NEK, it feels more wide open than the hills in central/southern Vt.

59CEE039-1E8A-411F-955D-15DE564AAEEF.jpeg.f60d466e6c26e1e2a69baddcec225026.jpeg

7DE71327-408A-4210-8831-38CC248C75EB.jpeg.3fe496afc3d5e58bd732e1a6250a9276.jpeg

13 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah this map shows the road damage.  We got hit pretty hard around Stowe too but the terrain up here opens up quite a bit more.  Central VT has a lot more hilly terrain and narrow drainages.  It’s tighter so to speak.  Really multiplies that rainfall.  Up north and into NEK, it feels more wide open than the hills in central/southern Vt.

59CEE039-1E8A-411F-955D-15DE564AAEEF.jpeg.f60d466e6c26e1e2a69baddcec225026.jpeg

7DE71327-408A-4210-8831-38CC248C75EB.jpeg.3fe496afc3d5e58bd732e1a6250a9276.jpeg

We drove back to Ludlow once from Woodstock and definitely some steep terrain.

4 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

Was that Round Valley in NJ?

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

No, West Fayson Lake in northern Morris County.  Round Valley is 35 miles SW and about 30 times larger.

That 3-4” in one hour on radar estimates near Killington with legit mudslides really f*cked up RT 4 it sounds like.

Pics looked similar to Jay Maine after 5-6" in <3 hours on June 29.  The last homeowners to regain access to their homes (or to leave) was provided only yesterday.  State highway Rt 133 is still local access only for 6-7 miles, with no thru traffic.  Last weekend a pickup driver went past cones/signs and ended up on the driver's side in a washout.  No injuries.

Strong storms just north last evening.  Quick 3/4" in Farmington with minor flooding near McDonalds, 0.11" here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mreaves said:

Our area got 4"+, less toward Augusta, but the Carrabassett drainage (Sugarloaf area) had 8+, with that river's peak flow topping 30,000 cfs, 2nd highest in 100 years record.  (Since topped by May 1 this year at 35k, but 1987 stands alone at over 50k.)  The 'Loaf was isolated as bridges on Rt 27 north and south of the access road were washed away.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Hoping the pattern changes a bit by the end of the month.  Heading to Acadia National Park area for a week.

As long as it's not raining or wrapped in fog, Acadia is great.  Our last visit was 3 years ago with our 2 oldest grandkids and conditions were what I'm looking at right now - low 70s, humid, cloudy.  It was quite windy at Cadillac summit, which actually was fun for the kids.  Unfortunately, it was the wrong tide for Thunder Hole; I've seen swimming pools with bigger waves.
(Note:  One now has to sign up for the drive up Cadillac, to prevent having more cars than can be parked at the top.)

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

3k NAM bringing a good bit of water into parts of SNE.  It’s not just PA to VT.

153BF3A9-65F1-4467-8AA5-F54CD01F3089.thumb.png.72f7be89e08cca7a5a8d3df24fe3a9d0.png

Reggie is a pretty widespread soaker.

F84613E0-5AAC-4653-ADCB-0F9D0C860078.thumb.png.f43bd6831c2f3970bf4a629a405bbe08.png

Sucker holed just in time for my return lol

35 minutes ago, tamarack said:

As long as it's not raining or wrapped in fog, Acadia is great.  Our last visit was 3 years ago with our 2 oldest grandkids and conditions were what I'm looking at right now - low 70s, humid, cloudy.  It was quite windy at Cadillac summit, which actually was fun for the kids.  Unfortunately, it was the wrong tide for Thunder Hole; I've seen swimming pools with bigger waves.
(Note:  One now has to sign up for the drive up Cadillac, to prevent having more cars than can be parked at the top.)

Proposed to my now wife at Acadia during peak fall color. It’s a fantastic park and Bar Harbor is a great community. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

3k NAM bringing a good bit of water into parts of SNE.  It’s not just PA to VT.

153BF3A9-65F1-4467-8AA5-F54CD01F3089.thumb.png.72f7be89e08cca7a5a8d3df24fe3a9d0.png

Reggie is a pretty widespread soaker.

F84613E0-5AAC-4653-ADCB-0F9D0C860078.thumb.png.f43bd6831c2f3970bf4a629a405bbe08.png

It's like we have two moving sets of goal posts in forecasting - both plausibly erring or succeeding independent of one another. 

#1  The models tend to over produce ...

#2  The outcome tends to over-achieve ...

Those may sound the same but are entirely different.  It's less likely that much will result .. but some smaller insets between NNE and NYC will train and mudslide and fill basements and washout roads. 

In the case of #1 ... the model(s) does/do go ahead and verify - "tend" does not mean always.    

In the cast of #2 ... where it rains, it will tend to do so with unexpected local overtop results.  There are two aspect in play, sub-dividing this category.  One ... CC is absolutely effecting rain rates world over and that is non-controvertible empirical fact. But that comes with increased frequency in "synergistic results" - seeming outperforming the input mertrics.   The other aspect is just related to the high DPs in the area, and is more functional.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Yup. We are hoping to secure either a sunrise or sunset spot.  They become available 6 months out for some then two days out at 10AM for others. 

We have a National Parks pass but will need a couple of others for individual items.   

We are staying on the Schoodic side so that is hopefully a bit quieter

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

It's like we have two moving sets of goal posts in forecasting - both plausibly erring or succeeding independent of one another. 

#1  The models tend to over produce ...

#2  The outcome tends to over-achieve ...

Those may sound the same but are entirely different.  It's less likely that much will result .. but some smaller insets between NNE and NYC will train and mudslide and fill basements and washout roads. 

In the case of #1 ... the model(s) does/do go ahead and verify - "tend" does not mean always.    

In the cast of #2 ... where it rains, it will tend to do so with unexpected local overtop results.  There are two aspect in play, sub-dividing this category.  One ... CC is absolutely effecting rain rates world over and that is non-controvertible empirical fact. But that comes with increased frequency in "synergistic results" - seeming outperforming the input mertrics.   The other aspect is just related to the high DPs in the area, and is more functional.

This is what I was envisioning and trying to convey yesterday I believe (though not as eloquently).

The warm season rainfall footprint is often significantly less widespread than models show, but the “jackpots” will see more water than models show.

I think that’s what you are getting at too.  Like 3-4” won’t be that widespread but where it trains could double those amounts.  The models are take like a “basin average” approach to QPF.

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

This is what I was envisioning and trying to convey yesterday I believe (though not as eloquently).

The warm season rainfall footprint is often significantly less widespread than models show, but the “jackpots” will see more water than models show.

I think that’s what you are getting at too.  Like 3-4” won’t be that widespread but where it trains could double those amounts.  The models are take like a “basin average” approach to QPF.

Yeah bold ^ is the summary.   But I think the reasons I  mentioned regarding CC and model errors ... It is what is -

• Like 2