• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July 2023

Stormlover74

Storms are always going to be hit or miss this time of year. I expect a thunderstorm or two but not an all day washout. Maybe the sea breeze front saves the south shore today. Not the most ideal weather for the 4th but I think it's crazy to constantly cancel things because of the chance of rain. There's a chance of rain in Florida everyday, that doesn't stop them!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wishcast_hater said:

Ridiculously heavy rain up here yesterday from 4pm until way after 10pm. I wouldn’t call it isolated as many counties were affected, it just wasn’t down in the city. Raining up here this morning as well.

Yes it worked out for some but it was not a widespread event. I just think it's confusing to most people as many thought the last few days would be washouts.

11 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Going to try it and see what happens. Will probably be on a mooring anyway so if it rains we will just hunker down for a bit

12z hrrr has storms between 3-5pm over the island fwiw.  Just watch the radar otherwise to see if any of the model simulated radar ends up correct, which I’m skeptical of for LI.

80 / 72 and mostly cloudy with some breaks in i the cloudsn.  Mid upper 80s and with enough sun could top a stray 90 with continued humid. Scattered storms in the PM going more widely scattered and isolated showers and storms from  west to east after 2-4 pm.    Wed (7/5) - Fri (7/7) humid, very warm to hot and very isolated afternoon storms with partly sunny conditions upper 80s to low 90s.  Some will get or enhance a heatwave.

The weekend Sat (7/8) - Wed (7/12) humid and warm with storms chances each day, continuing the more humid flow.  Where and when the sun is out for any duration it will continue to heat up quickly.

7/13 and the way beyond overall warm to hot at times with sprouts of strong heat into the area or nearby.  The Western Atlantic Ridge pushes back towards the southeast and could transition to a more sustained hotter pattern. But still looks humid with storm chances.

GOES16-EUS-02-1000x1000.gif  

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, uofmiami said:

12z hrrr has storms between 3-5pm over the island fwiw.  Just watch the radar otherwise to see if any of the model simulated radar ends up correct, which I’m skeptical of for LI.

Yea I’ll ride out the storms at a mooring then hopefully enjoy the evening 

Records:

Highs:

EWR: 105 (1949)
NYC: 102 (1949)
LGA: 100 (1949)

Lows:

EWR: 58 (1945)
NYC: 55 (1986)
LGA: 57 (1940)

Historical:

1776 - Thomas Jefferson paid for his first thermometer, and signed the Declaration of Independence. According to his weather memorandum book, at 2 PM it was cloudy and 76 degrees. (David Ludlum)

1911 - The northeastern U.S. experienced sweltering 100 degree heat. The temperature soared to 105 degrees at Vernon, VT, and North Bridgton ME, and to 106 degrees at Nashua NH, to establish all-time records for those three states. Afternoon highs of 104 at Boston, MA, 104 at Albany, NY, and 103 at Portland, ME, were all-time records for those three cities. (The Weather Channel)

1911: Record temperatures are set in the northeastern United States as a deadly heat wave hits the area that would go on to kill 380 people. In Nashua, New Hampshire, the mercury peaked at 106 degrees. Other high-temperature records were set all over New England during an 11-day period. 

1956 - A world record for the most rain in one minute was set at Unionville, MD, with a downpour of 1.23 inches. (The Weather Channel) (The National Severe Storms Forecast Center)

1987 - Thunderstorms around the country provided extra fireworks for Independence Day. Thunderstorms produced wind gusts to 82 mph at Clearwater, KS, eight inches of rain in four hours at Menno SD, and three inches of rain in just fifteen minutes at Austin, KY. Morning thunderstorms drenched Oneonta AL with 8.6 inches of rain, their greatest 24 hour total in thirty years of records. The heavy rain caused mudslides and serious flooding, claiming two lives. (The National Weather Summary) (Storm Data)

1988 - Thunderstorms produced heavy rain over the Central Gulf Coast Region for the second day in a row. Monroe, LA, was deluged with 3.75 inches in two hours. Aberdeen and Rapid City, SD, reported record high temperatures for the date, with readings of 105 degrees. (The National Weather Summary)

1989 - Independence Day was hot as a firecracker across parts of the country. Nineteen cities, mostly in the north central U.S., reported record high temperatures for the date, including Williston ND with a reading of 107 degrees. In the southwestern U.S., highs of 93 at Alamosa, CO, 114 at Tucson, AZ, and 118 at Phoenix, AZ, equalled all-time records for those locations. (The National Weather Summary)

20 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Just about to post this…obviously see something we don’t 

OKX Discussion hinted earlier that any storms which develop will be moving slowly - around 5 knots - and likely redeveloping. So the thinking appears to be that any strong storms/heavy rn which develops will be training over specific areas. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Gorgeous beach day at Jones beach currently, full sunshine. I highly doubt any rain makes it this far south. 

Yeah. The axis is lining up straight down the middle of the island. We will hear the thunder, and see crazy flooding videos, all as we cook under clear skies. 

• Sad 1