Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June 2023 Summer Begins

Damage In Tolland

15 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Our weather events overall are pretty “tame” overall compared to most of the country. This includes our winter storms too. 

I gotta disagree on the winter storms . we get some some monster winter storms. I mean maybe the valley is tamer With winter storms and the coast is inconsistent with P type

unless your comparing to 8k+ 

• Like 2

Just now, STILL N OF PIKE said:

I gotta disagree on the winter storms . we get some some monster winter storms. I mean maybe the valley is tamer With winter storms and the coast is inconsistent with P type

unless your comparing to 8k+ 

I’m looking beyond just totals and even beyond the high elevations within the West.  Blizzards that’s impact the north-central Plains and upper-Midwest can be nearly paralyzing. They routinely get storms with 50-70 mph wind gusts and true blizzard conditions. Major stretches of interstate will be closed b/c conditions aerial too dangerous for plow operators. They’ll have stretches of highways closed for multiple days. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, weatherwiz said:

I’m looking beyond just totals and even beyond the high elevations within the West.  Blizzards that’s impact the north-central Plains and upper-Midwest can be nearly paralyzing. They routinely get storms with 50-70 mph wind gusts and true blizzard conditions. Major stretches of interstate will be closed b/c conditions aerial too dangerous for plow operators. They’ll have stretches of highways closed for multiple days. 

I can respect that . The upper plains can also be a vast area much bigger then New England and yes they get those winds and ground blizzards and after being in buffalo this year , I can say that is worse then anything I experience in elevations under 2k or so in New England. But there aren’t many other areas in country like that 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Sounds like Weymouth

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

I can respect that . The upper plains can also be a vast area much bigger then New England and yes they get those winds and ground blizzards and after being in buffalo this year , I can say that is worse then anything I experience in elevations under 2k or so in New England. But there aren’t many other areas in country like that 

I would love to experience a northern Plains blizzard. Or a historic LES. 

I was reading a few months back that back in 2020 I think it was, the Wyoming DOT had proposed to completely shift I-80 north between Cheyenne and Rawlins (I think it was). That stretch is considered one of the most dangerous in terms of weather impact. 

it will routinely get closed during winter storms because there is hardly any population between the two and the risk of becoming stranded is very high. So to save lives and not have to risk sending rescue crews, they’ll just close the highway. 

This can even happen during sunny weather when they get super strong winds. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

the Wyoming DOT had proposed to completely shift I-80 north between Cheyenne and Rawlins (I think it was). That stretch is considered one of the most dangerous in terms of weather impact. 

it will routinely get closed during winter storms because there is hardly any population between the two and the risk of becoming stranded is very high. So to save lives and not have to risk sending rescue crews, they’ll just close the highway. 

Sounds like I -84 near the high peaks of mount weenie 

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

A good coastal winter storm (rare lately) can be pretty impactful.  In a different way than a plains blizzard.  They can have one with 3” of snow but those winds…

I remember one year back in the 90s the upper Midwest was getting slammed with blizzard, cows were dying, barns were buried with 20-foot drifts. I thought they had 6-7 feet of snow; total was 3 feet, and the winds caused all the problems.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

will routinely get closed during winter storms because there is hardly any population between the two and the risk of becoming stranded is very high. So to save lives and not have to risk sending rescue crews, they’ll just close the highway. 

When we drove out to Yellowstone a couple of summers ago one thing I noticed was that all the entrance ramps to the interstate had gates that could be closed to block access when the weather gets bad. Also signs that come on when they close it down. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Torch Tiger said:

compare last night to this :facepalm:

image_2023-06-27_163049892.png

When storms were storms. Probably got sucker holed in that one too :lol: 

1 hour ago, weatherwiz said:

Our weather events overall are pretty “tame” overall compared to most of the country. This includes our winter storms too. 

The thing about this area is that we can get a variety of wx types. We can do tropical, blizzards, severe, flash flooding, heat & cold, but there’s not something that we truly excel at frequently enough (anymore) that someone can say that’s our specialty.

I hear the blizzard argument, but they’re rarely as crippling on a region wide basis as some of the wound up monsters out west, even though those areas are getting a dusting compared to what we can get, and if we’re being honest, we’re slipping (at least in SNE) in even having winter months be wintry in the last half decade. 

31 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I would love to experience a northern Plains blizzard. Or a historic LES. 

I was reading a few months back that back in 2020 I think it was, the Wyoming DOT had proposed to completely shift I-80 north between Cheyenne and Rawlins (I think it was). That stretch is considered one of the most dangerous in terms of weather impact. 

Nothing is like big LES. Nothing.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

When storms were storms. Probably got sucker holed in that one too :lol: 

The thing about this area is that we can get a variety of wx types. We can do tropical, blizzards, severe, flash flooding, heat & cold, but there’s not something that we truly excel at frequently enough (anymore) that someone can say that’s our specialty.

I hear the blizzard argument, but they’re rarely as crippling on a region wide basis as some of the wound up monsters out west, even though those areas are getting a dusting compared to what we can get, and if we’re being honest, we’re slipping (at least in SNE) in even having winter months be wintry in the last half decade. 

Nothing is like big LES. Nothing.

I have a good amount of 15-40 second videos from my experience in Buffalo this December but I have no idea how to link it to share 

• Like 2