Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June 2023 Summer Begins

Damage In Tolland

5 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

What I find personally interesting is that the last 10 years or so worth of winters have been getting increasingly more gutted out ...  Someone made the snark post that these winters have been like November for 5 months - most sarcastic humor comes along with an element of truth ;) 

Yet, while that has been occurring, the spans of time spent in real "appeal"  of summers does seem to get shorter ... Notwithstanding the subjective opinion/judgement of what the really means, reducing summer length is a tad counter intuitive when we add the word "warming" to the word "global,"  doesn't it. 

I was talking with other Mets off line ... most have an evolving impression that there is a kind of smearing at the seasonal margins. Springs and autumns are extending in both directions - seasonal lapsing in both directions.  It's sort of like if you project that into the future, there is realized lesser and lesser seasonal variance between the nadir of winter and the apex of summers... and more disruption of what we think of defined transition season.  Winters become more tepid with lots of wind.  Summers tend to observe more of these tumble over patterns forcing closing lows, at other times, this weird tendency for SE wind persistence into the east coast ... Both shunting continental heat sources in lieu of a quasi trade-wind.  

Then, it's almost like we're seeing an emerging climate signal for the "november snow storm" before the tepid compression wind-regime of winter.

Ah yes ...making America great again

Exchanging texts with Harv?

• Weenie 1

3 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

What I find personally interesting is that the last 10 years or so worth of winters have been getting increasingly more gutted out ...  Someone made the snark post that these winters have been like November for 5 months - most sarcastic humor comes along with an element of truth ;) 

Yet, while that has been occurring, the spans of time spent in real "appeal"  of summers does seem to get shorter ... Notwithstanding the subjective opinion/judgement of what the really means, reducing summer length is a tad counter intuitive when we add the word "warming" to the word "global,"  doesn't it. 

I was talking with other Mets off line ...  there a kind of smearing at the seasonal margins. Springs and autumns are extending in both directions - seasonal lapsing in both directions.  It's sort of like if you project that into the future, there is realized lesser and lesser seasonal variance between the nadir of winter and the apex of summers... and more disruption of what we think of defined transition season.  Winters become more tepid with lots of wind.  Summers tend to observe more of these tumble over patterns forcing closing lows, at other times, this weird tendency for SE wind persistence into the east coast ... Both shunting continental heat sources in lieu of a quasi trade-wind.  

Then, it's almost like we're seeing an emerging climate signal for the "november snow storm" before the tepid compression wind-regime of winter.

Ah yes ...making America great again

I remember a year or so ago you made some posts about this, but you showed there was a tendency over the last decade for these Great Lakes/New England troughs and cut-off lows and we were like an outlier compared to the rest of the world in terms of the warming...do you remember this? I may have restated this incorrectly. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Recently we really haven't had many cutoffs late Spring or early Summer. We had a lot of those in the 00s. This to me is a classic response to a developing Nino. Reminds me of June 2009.

Is it enhanced any given how rapidly the transition to EL Nino seems to occurring?

16 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Wow, I had no idea. So your peak heat climo is June? 

For top maxima, yes.  We've had 19 days of 90+, May: 2, June: 8, July: 3, Aug: 4, Sep: 2.  Highest is 93, on 7/3/02 and 9/9/02.

Peak climo is very flat, with the daily mean staying between 65 and 66 from July 10 thru Aug 10.  (Subject to change, as my data adjusts daily as I enter the numbers.)  I think the greater atmospheric moisture in high summer prevents that period from peak maxima.  That July record above included big dews but most other top heat did not.  Aug 2002 featured an 8-day run of highs 87-91 (3 days 90+) but the avg minima in that stretch was 58 - hot but relatively dry.  We're surrounded by tall trees which pour water vapor into the air; when the airmass is also humid, that's just too much water to cook.

Wow. Not even a 90 on 7/22/2011?

88/67 and probably too humid for big heat.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

I get them every July. lol

Almost.  July 2020 had a low of 50, the only month here of all 50+ minima, also had one of our only 2 minima 70+.  That met summer made up for it, though, as August dropped into the 30s and June began with a 27° freeze.

Dumbest time in our history 

Maybe, but IMO it seems so because people can now broadcast their dumbosity to the millions.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, tamarack said:

For top maxima, yes.  We've had 19 days of 90+, May: 2, June: 8, July: 3, Aug: 4, Sep: 2.  Highest is 93, on 7/3/02 and 9/9/02.

Peak climo is very flat, with the daily mean staying between 65 and 66 from July 10 thru Aug 10.  (Subject to change, as my data adjusts daily as I enter the numbers.)  I think the greater atmospheric moisture in high summer prevents that period from peak maxima.  That July record above included big dews but most other top heat did not.  Aug 2002 featured an 8-day run of highs 87-91 (3 days 90+) but the avg minima in that stretch was 58 - hot but relatively dry.  We're surrounded by tall trees which pour water vapor into the air; when the airmass is also humid, that's just too much water to cook.

Wow. Not even a 90 on 7/22/2011?

88/67 and probably too humid for big heat.

The trough went through mid morning for much of the region on 7/22 so we got a big dew drop to let the heat soar. 7/21 and that following night was oppressive though. 

IZG had 101° on 7/22. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

The trough went through mid morning for much of the region on 7/22 so we got a big dew drop to let the heat soar. 7/21 and that following night was oppressive though. 

IZG had 101° on 7/22. 

I remember that day well. If I recall correctly it came as a surprise since it was supposed to be HHH and ended up as H. Still impressive highs given triple digits are exceedingly rare in ME. The summer of 2011 had a bit of all the things which the vast majority of summers don't in NNE.