Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
June 2023 Summer Begins

Damage In Tolland

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Could be in Mammoth Lakes for the summer.  On the Solstice lol.  That’s nuts.

AFC2EAF7-FA94-4E3E-95F7-0E9526B71BDF.thumb.jpeg.ec40d5abd02ce66b876fa4105985f00e.jpeg

745BF024-22C8-4937-A219-87FF5C75F20D.thumb.jpeg.86c3ede1768b987a2e4f35d5fb8eec23.jpeg

Not to be a total dick ( ...I'll go with 'just the tip' hahaha) but that location is nearly 8,000' ...

I don't think it's that amazing.   

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Not to be a total dick ( ...I'll go with 'just the tip' hahaha) but that location is nearly 8,000' ...

I don't think it's that amazing.   

Ehh they are at like top 10 percentile or higher right now.  800% of normal.  One zone there on the Nevada/Cali border is 3,300% of normal.

As someone who pays attention to a lot of the ski areas and snowpack out west… that’s nuts for almost July 1st.

8,000ft isn’t *that* high.  Even 9-10k feet that’s ridiculous for right now.

But I also get it’s the East and we just assume all west is buried all the time at elevation and hard to conceptualize when it’s wow and when it’s business as usual.

• Like 3

Ehh they are at like top 10 percentile or higher right now.  800% of normal.  One zone there on the Nevada/Cali border is 3,300% of normal.

As someone who pays attention to a lot of the ski areas and snowpack out west… that’s nuts for almost July 1st.

But I also get it’s the East and we just assume all west is buried all the time at elevation and hard to conceptualize when it’s wow and when it’s business as usual.

Global warming 

• Haha 2
  • Weenie 1

10 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Ha like this is 9,600ft in Colorado at a higher latitude.  It's all sort of relative.  But these guys didn't get 60 feet of paste last winter.  That stuff in the Sierra is like how glaciers start.

Untitled.jpg.8d1f4f9bedf311b5dfc05d2f26a9b801.jpg

Dude ... unrelated but do you remember that story you told about the harrier jet back in 1999 with the golfers?  It depressurized catastrophically at like 22K feet ... pretty much instantly knocking everyone onboard unconscious, which was a group of wealthy and golfers including pilot.   So the plane bobbed around blithely on the wind while millitary jets desperately couldn't do damn thing but watch the doomed dance.   ... finally running out of fuel it drove its self half way to Hades impacting a cornfield at something like 9 times the force of gravity.  I mean ... it's not funny but it's like the hapless crew's luck wasn't bad enough for god already? - just to make sure, you know.

I wasn't paying attention to the news but apparently that happened again. 

This thing with the submarine to Titanic that's been mentioned reminds me of this...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Dude ... unrelated but do you remember that story you told about the harrier jet back in 1999 with the golfers?  It depressurized catastrophically at like 22K feet ... pretty much instantly knocking everyone onboard unconscious, which was a group of wealthy and golfers including pilot.   So the plane bobbed around blithely on the wind while millitary jets desperately couldn't do damn thing but watch the doomed dance.   ... finally running out of fuel it drove its self half way to Hades impacting a cornfield at something like 9 times the force of gravity.  I mean ... it's not funny but it's like the hapless crew's luck wasn't bad enough for god already? - just to make sure, you know.

This thing with the submarine to Titanic that's been mentioned reminds me of this...

That was the Payne Stewart flight

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

8k is pretty high when you’re spiking straight up from sea level. Breckenridge is pretty much surrounded by 12k. 

It’s tough to hit 90° at 1.5k out here, but then you get east of the Black Hills and Pierre occasionally hits 120°. 

10 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Dude ... unrelated but do you remember that story you told about the harrier jet back in 1999 with the golfers?  It depressurized catastrophically at like 22K feet ... pretty much instantly knocking everyone onboard unconscious, which was a group of wealthy and golfers including pilot.   So the plane bobbed around blithely on the wind while millitary jets desperately couldn't do damn thing but watch the doomed dance.   ... finally running out of fuel it drove its self half way to Hades impacting a cornfield at something like 9 times the force of gravity.  I mean ... it's not funny but it's like the hapless crew's luck was bad enough for god already

Yeah I don’t know if I was talking about it but I remember that Payne Stewart accident.  The fighter jets found the windows all iced over or something, knew they were gone.  Then followed it until it crashed into some fields hours laters.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dendrite said:

8k is pretty high when you’re spiking straight up from sea level. Breckenridge is pretty much surrounded by 12k. 

It’s tough to hit 90° at 1.5k out here, but then you get east of the Black Hills and Pierre occasionally hits 120°. 

Yeah true, it’s all relative. I just still think the Sierra snow out there is bonkers for this time of year. Going into July and lakes still thawing.  Even Utah melted pretty fast on the whole. Alta and Snowbird had 850-925” or whatever it was, but they melted at a faster rate than 2011’s snowpack (also a big year, but not as big) based on SWE graphs.

Yeah true, it’s all relative. I just still think the Sierra snow out there is bonkers for this time of year. Going into July and lakes still thawing.  Even Utah melted pretty fast on the whole. Alta and Snowbird had 850-925” or whatever it was, but they melted at a faster rate than 2011’s snowpack (also a big year, but not as big) based on SWE graphs.

It is an anomaly based on what I have seen and heard following some groups out there. The sierra snow lab just had their snow melt out a month later than normal, but that is in an open area. They said there is still a few feet of snow on the road up and in the woods at 6900'. That was last week.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

It was a LearJet. And as others said, it was Payne Stewart, who was the US Open Champion at the time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_South_Dakota_Learjet_crash

17 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I was at Badlands NP a couple of years ago and it was 107°

Just now, dryslot said:

80/49°F, Perfection today.

It may be getting in there soon ...if not later today, overnight?

It was 54 DP here this morning, now most home stations within a mile or two of my location are all 66 to 70 dps, which are the garden dewpoint effect. Sure, but NWS has 64 to 66's now down here. 

5 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

It was 54 DP here this morning, now most home stations within a mile or two of my location are all 66 to 70 dps, which are the garden dewpoint effect. Sure, but NWS has 64 to 66's now down here. 

Overnight it will arrive up here.

7 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Yeah it’s swarming us… over the top and crowding in.  The CAD crew may be last.

29047129-15B2-41CA-A022-89C319ED2559.gif.76a012c69a277341d7fdbe145a8e9c4a.gif

17 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Meant to Lear'   obviously a Harrier is a military plane

There was a recent similar event in Virginia is appears.  I think you might have also been referring to that a bit further into your post.    Something incapacitated the pilot and they flew for a while before crashing