• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June 2023 Summer Begins

Damage In Tolland

Today's a head scratcher as far as rain distribution.

I'm fighting off the notion that this was over-blown by the guidance.  Seeing the 06z NAM putting down 2+" over Boston ... like, AT that exact point and nowhere else, and then knowing the 00z was much more evenly distributed... that random distribution gam really hearkens as the models being physically over sensitive - similar to why April coastals to that. They tend to be over-selling  mid range coastals, but when push comes to shove there's isn't enough baroclinic gradients in the low levels - much of the cyclone remains aloft.  

On the other hand ... this isn't in a hurry to leave, and when/if some of the convective nature of this kicks in over the next 12 hours ...  rain balls are likely be moving across radar at the blinding speed of cells reaching out to one another under a microscope ... just unloading.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Mixed look for the end of the week.  Warmer but I wouldn’t go high end yet

I'm personally taking a blend of the 00z Euro with the 06z GFS for general layout, and sans any details for now.

The impetus behind doing so is because they are the best fit for over 2 weeks worth of index continuity, which shows a robust -EPO with a mode change of the PNA dropping some 1.5 total SD, whilst the NAO is going from negative to neutral positive.  

With the wave lengths/distribution shortened, particularly wrt the -EPO forcing across the downstream continent, in the end the ridge signal through the Ohio Valley and SE Canada should be more successfully realized.  That's precisely what the operational runs are finally coming around to seeing.

I call this a > 50% latter mid range outlook/confidence, too.  

Getting into particulars ... yeah, there's room to negotiate based on nuances of timing both 850 mb warm nodes with diurnal cycling... Related to that, the SW heat release model is taking place antecedent to all this, so that kinetic air source being accessible is also a wild card that could send this more into synergistic tendencies ( whereby we over achieve...).   To mention cloud distribution and or convection.  This ridging won't be historic, and so total suppression of the latter isn't assumed. 

These sort of details need to be sorted out. But definitely going above normal from ~ Wed but more certainly Thurs - Sunday. 

The 00z operational Euro would send Friday and Saturday to the mid 90s. It's 2-meter graphics looks retarded through the whole period.  It dawns next Saturday with 850's around 16 .. 17C, and ends the day at 20C ... limiting the sfc temperatures to 82 to 84? That 3 degree bounce near the top of the planetary BL during the day, given the total synoptic manifold going on through the period, is more likely happening because the mixing layer has heated and grown that tall... in other words, the adiabats will extend to 20 f-ing C at that altitude. So it should be about 94 to 96.   I don't get these products some times...

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I'm personally taking a blend of the 00z Euro with the 06z GFS for general layout, and sans any details for now.

The impetus behind doing so is because they are the best fit for over 2 weeks worth of index continuity, which shows a robust -EPO with a mode change of the PNA dropping some 1.5 total SD, whilst the NAO is going from negative to neutral positive.  

With the wave lengths/distribution shortened, particularly wrt the -EPO forcing across the downstream continent, in the end the ridge signal through the Ohio Valley and SE Canada should be more successfully realized.  That's precisely what the operational runs are finally coming around to seeing.

I call this a > 50% latter mid range outlook/confidence, too.  

Getting into particulars ... yeah, there's room to negotiate based on nuances of timing both 850 mb warm nodes with diurnal cycling... Related to that, the SW heat release model is taking place antecedent to all this, so that kinetic air source being accessible is also a wild card that could send this more into synergistic tendencies ( whereby we over achieve...).   To mention cloud distribution and or convection.  This ridging won't be historic, and so total suppression of the latter isn't assumed. 

These sort of details need to be sorted out. But definitely going above normal from ~ Wed but more certainly Thurs - Sunday. 

The 00z operational Euro would send Friday and Saturday to the mid 90s. It's 2-meter graphics looks retarded through the whole period.  It dawns next Saturday with 850's around 16 .. 17C, and ends the day at 20C ... limiting the sfc temperatures to 82 to 84? That 3 degree bounce near the top of the planetary BL during the day, given the total synoptic manifold going on through the period, is more likely happening because the mixing layer has heated and grown that tall... in other words, the adiabats will extend to 20 f-ing C at that altitude. So it should be about 94 to 96.   I don't get these products some times...

The 2M stuff I looked at showed 90s next Saturday. 

16 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

The 2M stuff I looked at showed 90s next Saturday. 

Ok ... Sunday was the day that rolled eyes and stopped me from looking any further.   It's my bad attitude about these 2-meter graphics out in time. LOL 

For one, the Euro's 2-meter does tend to be too low in the summer anyway.  They all do. It's probably an avoidable error out in time, though.  As the model's projection gets longer, it's collecting stuff from ... "fractal inclusion" that interferes with potential but won't likely really exist. so the products tend to dim.   The orbital synoptics look like a good ole fashion barn burner over the top job.  Which can f-up from this range anyway but assuming -

The mixing signal is there on Sunday, yet it limits to 80s thing.  Who cares at this range though - right.  hahaha.  I took look anyway at the other shit and model's pretty 300 and 500 mb loaded with RH so it's likely cloud contaminating the heating ability.   That said, I don't see how the 850 mb expands thermally to 20C and still obeying the adiabatic math so that seems dubious.   We'll see...  

But you're right about Saturday.  I would argue though that the correction vector is pointed up by a little. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Ok ... Sunday was the day that rolled eyes and stopped me from looking any further.   It's my bad attitude about these 2-meter graphics out in time. LOL 

For one, the Euro's 2-meter does tend to be too low in the summer anyway.  They all do. It's probably an avoidable error out in time, though.  As the model's projection gets longer, it's collecting stuff from ... "fractal inclusion" that interferes with potential but won't likely really exist. so the products tend to dim -

The mixing signal is there on Sunday, yet it limits to 80s thing.  Who cares at this range though - right.  hahaha.  I took look anyway at the other shit and model's pretty 300 and 500 mb loaded with RH so it's likely cloud contaminating the heating ability.   That said, I don't see how the 850 mb expands thermally to 20C and still obeying the adiabatic math so that seems dubious.   We'll see...  

But you're right about Saturday.  I would argue though that the correction vector is pointed up by a little. 

I wonder if cloud cover was playing a role? Gets precious in here during aftn. It does have 90 tickling BOS to OWD area.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

Partly sunny and up to 70 here...upton still says 60% chance of showers but no model support

Yeah... as the day's aging on, it seems there's "partial bust" with this.  I mean, it's not opting toward a nice day for us back E per se ha, it may be prove drier

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

57/57 +RN

What a June.

I just looked at Burlington NWS' climate maze ... (assholes) web interface and finally found the cumulative June ... looks like y'allz runnin' about -0.6 and not terribly outside normal for rainfall so far.

So, yeah  ... 'what a June'  - as in, nothing inspirational and within reasonable climate norms, is the new horror.  HAHA

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I just looked at Burlington NWS' climate maze ... (assholes) web interface and finally found the cumulative June ... looks like y'allz runnin' about -0.6 and not terribly outside normal for rainfall so far.

So, yeah  ... 'what a June'  - as in, nothing inspirational and within reasonable climate norms, is the new horror.  HAHA

Ha, it’s more the vibe after May’s glorious month.  First two days of 90s helped in June.  Looking at it for the last 15 days though…

In the last 15 days, we have hit or exceeded 80F exactly once at MVL.

9 of 15 days had maximum temps of 72F or lower.

5 days (today may be 6) of 65F or lower maxes.

14 of the last 16 days with at least a trace or more of precipitation locally at MVL.

10 of last 11 days with measurable rainfall.

Mins have been mild though helping departures… but it’s been showery, and the maxes have been quite subdue.

Its true the aggregate may be about normal, but it’s felt shitty.  Need a week of sunny 82F.

16 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

MPV would be more representative of Stowe  than BTV

maybe they are similar thou I know where PF works along Spine of N greens would anomaly wise be represented by mount Mansfield 

9 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

MPV would be more representative of Stowe  than BTV

It’s not the aggregates though, it’s like the most brutal way to get to normal there the past two weeks lol.  Low maxes, high mins, showery but not excessive.  Just cloudy with daily showers.

MPV highest temp of 81F since the 2nd with only 3 dry days of 17 this month.

I get cranky when stuck inside for rain this time of year :lol:… when you can start a hike at 7pm and end at 9pm and it’s still light. May was a 3-week San Diego dream, wish we could do that all warm season.

11 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Ha, it’s more the vibe after May’s glorious month.  First two days of 90s helped in June.  Looking at it for the last 15 days though…

In the last 15 days, we have hit or exceeded 80F exactly once at MVL.

9 of 15 days had maximum temps of 72F or lower.

5 days (today may be 6) of 65F or lower maxes.

14 of the last 16 days with at least a trace or more of precipitation locally at MVL.

10 of last 11 days with measurable rainfall.

Mins have been mild though helping departures… but it’s been showery, and the maxes have been quite subdue.

Its true the aggregate may be about normal, but it’s felt shitty.  Need a week of sunny 82F.

Oh yeah I agree.  As they say in social dynamics, 'politics is perception'

similarly ... timing is everything in how we manifest our perceptions.  It's just funny how the relationship between "existential climate" vs empirical climate seldom reconcile.  haha. 

If these closed troughs happened late Wed through early Fridays and not coincided with every f'ing weekend,  and we were back to 80 today, instead of doing that between today and Monday or whatever it takes to move this pos along, we wouldn't be having this discussion.  Or, 'what a June' has the other connotation -