• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Spring 2023

1 minute ago, Voyager said:

That's incredible. I've never seen a road that completely covered by leaves before. 

I had that happen here about 27 years ago. there was still hail laying on the ground 2 hrs after the storm was over. I spent a week raking leaves up after work to clean up. And the smell of the leaves after the storm. There was a guy and his girl friend fishing at my place when ths storm started they left he said the road was bad driving with the accumulation of hail on the road and his fishing rod he put hanging out over the tailgate the tip of the rod broke off from the hail.

9 hours ago, Jns2183 said:

If possible I'd start watering every inch of property daily till water restrictions come in a month

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I am trying it myself though I alternate corners of the yard different days.  Without rain I cannot possibly keep up though.  The grass is going to lose the battle. 

People in Camp Hill still without power. Street a block away is still closed due to trees and big branches and street 3 blocks is closed due to a utility pole being snapped about 5 feet off the ground and the tension in the wires are only thing keeping it from crashing across road. PPL just got there at noon. Walked a rectangle 3 blocks by 2 blocks and counted 8 trees, 20+ big branches and a utility pole down. No hail here, but straight line winds were vicious.

1 hour ago, Jns2183 said:

People in Camp Hill still without power. Street a block away is still closed due to trees and big branches and street 3 blocks is closed due to a utility pole being snapped about 5 feet off the ground and the tension in the wires are only thing keeping it from crashing across road. PPL just got there at noon. Walked a rectangle 3 blocks by 2 blocks and counted 8 trees, 20+ big branches and a utility pole down. No hail here, but straight line winds were vicious.

Friend that lives across from the Greek church in East Penn/Camp Hill has two huge trees down in her backyard - she won’t get power for a while as they ripped the meter off the house 

17 minutes ago, mahantango#1 said:

44 this morning. Question about the hail on Saturday. I seen pics of hail from Harrisburg, and it looked clear. But I seen some from Juniata County and it was white. What causes the difference?

I think you have a shot of hitting the 30's later this week.

All About Hail: A Severe Weather Guide - Earth Networks

As the hailstone moves up and down in a cloud’s updrafts and downdrafts, it gathers different layers of ice. When freezing occurs slowly in warmer temperatures, trapped air can escape. This produces clear ice. When freezing occurs quickly in colder temperatures, the process traps the air and produces a layer of white ice.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Bubbler86 said:

I think you have a shot of hitting the 30's later this week.

All About Hail: A Severe Weather Guide - Earth Networks

As the hailstone moves up and down in a cloud’s updrafts and downdrafts, it gathers different layers of ice. When freezing occurs slowly in warmer temperatures, trapped air can escape. This produces clear ice. When freezing occurs quickly in colder temperatures, the process traps the air and produces a layer of white ice.

To add I’ve been in a lot of hail storms and can’t recall seeing hail so clear. It looked like it came out of an ice machine. 

I don’t fully understand how and why hail gets produced over, say, other dynamics. 

On 6/3/2023 at 8:34 PM, TheDreamTraveler said:

I hear sirens going off down the highway so it must have been bad there

Wormleysburg/ Lemonye area took it hard

19 hours ago, Jns2183 said:

18 hours ago, canderson said:

Friend that lives across from the Greek church in East Penn/Camp Hill has two huge trees down in her backyard - she won’t get power for a while as they ripped the meter off the house 

There were trees down all over in that area. We had to alter our response travel to incidents because of the wires/trees down. 

• Like 2

Our morning low was a below average 48.1. Another mainly dry week in store across the county. High temperatures look to average near normal while overnight lows look to be below normal through much of the week. Normal highs are in the mid to upper 70's with lows in the mid to upper 50's. Our best chance of a little rain looks to be Tuesday night. There are some hints across the longer term models of a wetter period possibly developing by later this weekend into next week. 
Records for today: High 97 (1925) / Low 39 (1948) / Rain 2.39" (1970)
image.png.51c10a9da066711d23526a0c87226372.png

1 hour ago, sauss06 said:

Wormleysburg/ Lemonye area took it hard

There were trees down all over in that area. We had to alter our response travel to incidents because of the wires/trees down. 

If you look at the trees down you can see a path from where 81 and 83 intersect and then between those roads until you hit 581. That weird circle shape was hammered. And then it just went .. poof. Bizarre south-moving storm, that was. 

• Like 2