• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Spring 2023

I think this part of the MU commentary should be posted (below).  Albedoman called it.   I suspect the Government will be up here late month if this comes to fruition.   Most farms are fully protected by different laws that "encourage" them to farm so the brand-new US budget is going to take a hit from the Mid Atlantic if the drought continues.  FWIW, this is still not nearly as dry as the 2020 Drought in the Western LSV and slightly westward into the App chain.  where some areas had less than 1/2" of rain over a 2 1/2 to 3 month span.   Areas slightly to my west were in D4 status locally though that did not show on the USGS large scale map as it was micro based.   Hundreds of people had to have their wells drilled again or drilled deeper. 

The Monthly Drought Outlook for June forecasts a developing and worsening drought across a large portion of the mid-Atlantic States, including most of MD and PA (see below).

With little rain ahead in the foreseeable future, expect large diurnal temperature variations to continue and impacts from the drought to become more detrimental and far-reaching. By mid-June, farmers may need to begin irrigation efforts to prevent crops from dying. Water shortages will also become a concern, and water restrictions could certainly become a reality by the end of June or July. The duration and severity of a drought are very difficult to predict. One soaking rainfall of just 2-3 inches can change everything, but it doesn't look good in the coming weeks..

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

I think this part of the MU commentary should be posted (below).  Albedoman called it.   I suspect the Government will be up here late month if this comes to fruition.   Most farms are fully protected by different laws that "encourage" them to farm so the brand-new US budget is going to take a hit from the Mid Atlantic if the drought continues.  FWIW, this is still not nearly as dry as the 2020 Drought in the Western LSV and slightly westward into the App chain.  where some areas had less than 1/2" of rain over a 2 1/2 to 3 month span.   Areas slightly to my west were in D4 status locally though that did not show on the USGS large scale map as it was micro based.   Hundreds of people had to have their wells drilled again or drilled deeper. 

The Monthly Drought Outlook for June forecasts a developing and worsening drought across a large portion of the mid-Atlantic States, including most of MD and PA (see below).

With little rain ahead in the foreseeable future, expect large diurnal temperature variations to continue and impacts from the drought to become more detrimental and far-reaching. By mid-June, farmers may need to begin irrigation efforts to prevent crops from dying. Water shortages will also become a concern, and water restrictions could certainly become a reality by the end of June or July. The duration and severity of a drought are very difficult to predict. One soaking rainfall of just 2-3 inches can change everything, but it doesn't look good in the coming weeks..

Ah, so someone does read his thoughts. :) I was going to provide a bullet-point synopsis but decided to see if anyone would read and then comment. LOL

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Pretty impressive growth field of cumulous over eastern PA over the past hour and along with that, the first showers have fired in a few locations. Activity is drifting SW as it forms. 

Fingers crossed everyone over there scores today.   Not going to do much for the drought ground water wise but would help yards and maybe some farms.    Another nice job by the RGEM and Nam calling for the rains to start Friday instead of Sat. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Looks like some people in the Ephrata/Lititz/Akron area might be getting wet imminently - if the area of precip and trajectory holds it will miss me wide right. 

It is actually more impressive looking this early than I thought we would see.   Air is dry though so not sure how much is making it. 

Special Weather Statement
National Weather Service State College PA
302 PM EDT Fri Jun 2 2023

PAZ066-021930-
Lancaster PA-

...A STRONG THUNDERSTORM WILL IMPACT CENTRAL LANCASTER COUNTY THROUGH
330 PM EDT...

At 302 PM EDT, Doppler radar was tracking a strong thunderstorm over
Lititz, moving southwest at 20 mph.

HAZARD...Winds up to 40 mph and pea size hail.

SOURCE...Radar indicated.

IMPACT...Gusty winds could knock down tree limbs and blow around
         unsecured objects. Minor hail damage to vegetation
         possible.

Locations impacted include...
Lancaster, Ephrata, Columbia, Lititz, Millersville, Willow Street,
Mount Joy, Manheim, East Petersburg, Akron, Leola,
Salunga-Landisville, Maytown, Rothsville, Mountville, Marietta,
Wrightsville, Brickerville, Leacock and Safe Harbor

That was issued about 30 minutes ago - still looks like a miss wide right for me. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, canderson said:

Tomorrow and Sunday look super dry if anyone even sees a sprinkle. 

Sunday does look dry but tomorrow is still open to interpretation, IMO.  HRRR is actually quite wet West.  Outside of modelology we have a vort streaming by tomorrow so I am waiting it out to see how much it can interject into our weather. 

image.png.87f1c3c3b79f10169221f125550102ae.png

12 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:
Special Weather Statement
National Weather Service State College PA

PAZ066-021930-
Lancaster PA-

...A STRONG THUNDERSTORM WILL IMPACT CENTRAL LANCASTER COUNTY THROUGH
330 PM EDT...

At 302 PM EDT, Doppler radar was tracking a strong thunderstorm over
Lititz, moving southwest at 20 mph.

HAZARD...Winds up to 40 mph and pea size hail.

SOURCE...Radar indicated.

IMPACT...Gusty winds could knock down tree limbs and blow around
         unsecured objects. Minor hail damage to vegetation
         possible.

Locations impacted include...
Lancaster, Ephrata, Columbia, Lititz, Millersville, Willow Street,
Mount Joy, Manheim, East Petersburg, Akron, Leola,
Salunga-Landisville, Maytown, Rothsville, Mountville, Marietta,
Wrightsville, Brickerville, Leacock and Safe Harbor

That was issued about 30 minutes ago - still looks like a miss wide right for me. 

Lanco Zones

image.png.90e91ca527d50d5f6deb300e19d398db.png

• Like 1

Wife called me to say she saw a streak of lightning driving home. So I check radar and there are storms around, but....they are moving from northeast to southwest out of the Poconos and into Schuylkill County.

It's definitely not a normal way for storms to move in PA.

6 minutes ago, Voyager said:

Wife called me to say she saw a streak of lightning driving home. So I check radar and there are storms around, but....they are moving from northeast to southwest out of the Poconos and into Schuylkill County.

It's definitely not a normal way for storms to move in PA.

You are getting back doored. All of us are Sunday.