• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Spring 2023

So we finished May as the 20th chillest May in Chester County history back to 1888. It was also our coldest May since 2008. The dryness was also historic as we only received a scant 0.21" of rain - the only drier month was May 1964 with just 0.14" of rain. Much warmer today with temps rising into the low 80's. Tomorrow looks to be the warmest day so far this year - spots outside of the higher ridges could touch the 90 degree mark for the first time this year.
Records for today: High 96.5 (1895) / Low 34 (1930) / Rain 1.69" (1977)
image.png.e930de70b0cedff7a8ff4e9eb9dd62b5.png

14 minutes ago, canderson said:

We did go the entire month without turning on the A/C. That likely ends today. 

We have this convo every year and I cannot imagine how warm it gets in your house.  It would be in the 85ish range here with no AC yesterday.  Stifling for an in-house temp.   And we have tree cover about 3/4 of the day. 

9 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

We have this convo every year and I cannot imagine how warm it gets in your house.  It would be in the 85ish range here with no AC yesterday.  Stifling for an in-house temp.   And we have tree cover about 3/4 of the day. 

74 was the peak inside. Was down to 67 this am and up to 70 now 

24 minutes ago, canderson said:

We did go the entire month without turning on the A/C. That likely ends today. 

Me too. Just had mine serviced yesterday, ready to go. 

i will add, my daughter, who i think is @Itstrainingtimekid, has not been happy about the lack of AC. In my defense, it has been spectacular sleeping weather with the temps falling overnight. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, canderson said:

74 was the peak inside. Was down to 67 this am and up to 70 now 

4 minutes ago, sauss06 said:

i will add, my daughter, who i think is @Itstrainingtimekid, has not been happy about the lack of AC. In my defense, it has been spectacular sleeping weather with the temps falling overnight. 

My house would probably not fall below 77 right now with no AC.  That is not good sleeping weather indeed.   The basement (finished) is cooler but still stuffy if no AC.  It is not insultation as my house stays warm in the winter....my heating bill was paltry this past winter.  Less than $800 for Nov-April. In contrast I know people who had $1500-$2000 heating bills during that time...they are all electric. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sauss06 said:

As my kids marry and start families, my son in law and daughter in law aren't super thrilled with me...seems that my kids are keeping their homes down in the "ITT chill zone" a little more than they hoped they would. :)  

1 hour ago, Bubbler86 said:

My house would probably not fall below 77 right now with no AC.  That is not good sleeping weather indeed.   The basement (finished) is cooler but still stuffy if no AC.  It is not insultation as my house stays warm in the winter....my heating bill was paltry this past winter.  Less than $800 for Nov-April. In contrast I know people who had $1500-$2000 heating bills during that time...they are all electric. 

We lost power for 4 hours in 2020 from a storm - temp inside went from 66 up to 75 and that was with temps outside only in the 70s after the storm. At 75, I'm melting. LOL

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Areas east of the Susquehanna upgraded to a Moderate Drought: 

I was off my game and forgot to look.  Thamks.

Northeast Drought Summary

Some rain fell across the far southern parts of the Northeast region and in northern New England this week. But most of the region received less than a fourth of an inch, and the rain that fell was mostly below normal. Temperatures averaged near to below normal. With soils drying, low streamflow, and very low precipitation for the month of May, D0 (abnormal dryness) was expanded across much of the region, from Delaware, Maryland and West Virginia to southern New York, and from western Maine to western Massachusetts. Large 90-day precipitation deficits prompted expansion of D1 (moderate drought) in Maryland and eastern Pennsylvania. Soils rapidly dried this week. According to May 28 data from the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), 80% of the topsoil moisture in Pennsylvania was rated short or very short (dry or very dry), an increase of 48% from last week. The values were 100% for New Jersey, 78% for Maryland, and 52% for New York.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Itstrainingtime said:

As my kids marry and start families, my son in law and daughter in law aren't super thrilled with me...seems that my kids are keeping their homes down in the "ITT chill zone" a little more than they hoped they would. :)  

We lost power for 4 hours in 2020 from a storm - temp inside went from 66 up to 75 and that was with temps outside only in the 70s after the storm. At 75, I'm melting. LOL

It is worse inside the house and/or at night when there is no breeze.  75 outside during the day and in the shade is not too shabby, 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

I was off my game and forgot to look.  Thamks.

Northeast Drought Summary

Some rain fell across the far southern parts of the Northeast region and in northern New England this week. But most of the region received less than a fourth of an inch, and the rain that fell was mostly below normal. Temperatures averaged near to below normal. With soils drying, low streamflow, and very low precipitation for the month of May, D0 (abnormal dryness) was expanded across much of the region, from Delaware, Maryland and West Virginia to southern New York, and from western Maine to western Massachusetts. Large 90-day precipitation deficits prompted expansion of D1 (moderate drought) in Maryland and eastern Pennsylvania. Soils rapidly dried this week. According to May 28 data from the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), 80% of the topsoil moisture in Pennsylvania was rated short or very short (dry or very dry), an increase of 48% from last week. The values were 100% for New Jersey, 78% for Maryland, and 52% for New York.

With how dry it is I can definitely see that contributing to the summer being a few degrees warmer some days than what would have originally been forecast as well. Since dryness like that likes to invite more heat

• Like 1

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Not a single SPC storm report during the month of May in the entirety of Pennsylvania! This is the first time no May reports have been submitted in PA to SPC since 2000 when monthly/annual stats have been tabulated by the organization. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/pawx?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#pawx</a> <a href="https://t.co/d3c288kKoC">pic.twitter.com/d3c288kKoC</a></p>&mdash; PA Climate Office (@PAClimateOffice) <a href="https://twitter.com/PAClimateOffice/status/1664254571034689536?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 1, 2023</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

30 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Well that prior post clearly did not go through as intended haha. Let’s try this again…..

Related, Sterling VA NWS did not issue a single Severe Thunderstorm Warning for the entire month of May anywhere in their forecast area. (first time since 1987) 

• Like 1