• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Central PA Spring 2023

48 for the low this Am.

In the interest of anomalous weather, I noticed this below at the end of the GFS.  It is a heat wave that starts building on June 10th.    Before this though it is not really "all that" hot due to ULL's being nearby as well as a trough dropping out of Canada.  Several nights in the 40's next week after a fairly warm/hottish end to this week.  Highs in the upper 60's and low 70's this weekend.  This is as progged on the GFS.  CMC is in the 90's Sat and much warmer overall.   Icon would be near 100 Fri and Sat. 

image.thumb.png.786139b8ae4a64912b98d9837ad1cf3a.png

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

If MDT can get down to at least 59 degrees tomorrow AM, seems likely, it will mark the first time since 1997 that every day in May featured a low of 59 or below.  Including this year, it has only happened 6 times....6 being ironic that this May will probably end up being the 6th driest month ever at MDT. 

Capture.JPGimage.png.f1be507b18e19494315376c0d285a5c0.png

Will probably move down the list a bit when today and tomorrow are factored in, but with two days remaining in the month, the mean minimum temperature is sixth lowest on record at IPT.

image.png.e51667d8298eb82be0ae4679b3895582.png

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Will probably move down the list a bit when today and tomorrow are factored in, but with two days remaining in the month, the mean minimum temperature is sixth lowest on record at IPT.

image.png.e51667d8298eb82be0ae4679b3895582.png

Will also easily go down in the record books as driest May on record at IPT:

image.png.b490bf90adc287f54f8faabe38be9255.png

Seventh driest month overall:

image.png.c379ff1e4ed6528a7e6fdfdd93fa7048.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bubbler86 said:

48 for the low this Am.

In the interest of anomalous weather, I noticed this below at the end of the GFS.  It is a heat wave that starts building on June 10th.    Before this though it is not really "all that" hot due to ULL's being nearby as well as a trough dropping out of Canada.  Several nights in the 40's next week after a fairly warm/hottish end to this week.  Highs in the upper 60's and low 70's this weekend.  This is as progged on the GFS.  CMC is in the 90's Sat and much warmer overall.   Icon would be near 100 Fri and Sat. 

image.thumb.png.786139b8ae4a64912b98d9837ad1cf3a.png

Bring on the heat!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A couple sunny but cooler than normal days to finish out the month of May. We will finish this month as one of the 20 coldest May month's since record keeping began back in 1888. We should see a warming trend with highs well into the 80's both Thursday and Friday before another backdoor cold front knocks temps down again for next weekend.
Records for today: High 94 (1942) / Low 37 (1961) / Rain 2.12" (1971)
image.png.166a411ac27eb65fc5c814c7af2e7f09.png

Haven't seen this mentioned anywhere, but the RAP-SMOKE model brings in a substantial amount of near-surface smoke later tonight. Looks to spread across eastern PA tomorrow, so expect hazy skies and poor air quality. The smoke wrapped all the way across the Hudson and into the Atlantic, dropped near the surface over the oceanic inversion layer and is being pushed westwardly by easterly winds.

trc1_sfc_f21.png

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Haven't seen this mentioned anywhere, but the RAP-SMOKE model brings in a substantial amount of near-surface smoke later tonight. Looks to spread across eastern PA tomorrow, so expect hazy skies and poor air quality. The smoke wrapped all the way across the Hudson and into the Atlantic, dropped near the surface over the oceanic inversion layer and is being pushed westwardly by easterly winds.

trc1_sfc_f21.png

CTP mentioned this in their discussion last night - will be interesting if it becomes noticeable here as it'll be windows open night again. 

2 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Interesting.  Will have to see how that may affect the progged colder temps in the Eastern part of the state tonight.  12Z Meso's raised the temps a little bit from the upper 30's to low 40's. 

Howdy everyone, what a glorious weekend it was.  Had the kiddie pool out for the littles, made some fires in my new pit, grilled some brats and sweetcorn, and of course had the cocktails flowing.  But most importantly, I finally installed a weather station at our new house.  My wife's dad had gotten me one of those nice Acurite 5-in-1 stations many years back and I've been holding onto it all this time.  Well, as of Saturday it is finally installed.  It's up about 11 feet off the ground above a pergola.  I still don't expect great wind readings though, as there's just too much old growth blocking things.  I'll be curious to see how it does with precip because it's not as level as I would have liked.  But it seems to be working great so far.  I bottomed out at 51 last night and actually briefly touched 87 yesterday.  Just can't get over how dry of an airmass we've been stuck under for this long.  As others have mentioned, the Harrisburg records for driest May and 6th driest month ever are in the bag.  Should end up almost exactly 2 degrees BN as well.  Really hope we see some rain before too long but not much seems to be on the horizon.  Don't think I'll be mowing for the foreseeable future.  Y'all have a great week now ya hear.

• Like 2

Howdy everyone, what a glorious weekend it was.  Had the kiddie pool out for the littles, made some fires in my new pit, grilled some brats and sweetcorn, and of course had the cocktails flowing.  But most importantly, I finally installed a weather station at our new house.  My wife's dad had gotten me one of those nice Acurite 5-in-1 stations many years back and I've been holding onto it all this time.  Well, as of Saturday it is finally installed.  It's up about 11 feet off the ground above a pergola.  I still don't expect great wind readings though, as there's just too much old growth blocking things.  I'll be curious to see how it does with precip because it's not as level as I would have liked.  But it seems to be working great so far.  I bottomed out at 51 last night and actually briefly touched 87 yesterday.  Just can't get over how dry of an airmass we've been stuck under for this long.  As others have mentioned, the Harrisburg records for driest May and 6th driest month ever are in the bag.  Should end up almost exactly 2 degrees BN as well.  Really hope we see some rain before too long but not much seems to be on the horizon.  Don't think I'll be mowing for the foreseeable future.  Y'all have a great week now ya hear.
Do you have link to station online?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

23 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

It JUST hit 70 here...almost 1PM on a fully sunny day, 2 days before the start of summer....and about as dry of a topsoil layer you could possibly imagine (no moisture laden earth keeping temps down.) 

Must be some local cooling effect. Mount Pocono is the coolest in the state at 69, even Bradford is 77 and Erie is 81.

32 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Must be some local cooling effect. Mount Pocono is the coolest in the state at 69, even Bradford is 77 and Erie is 81.

Almost an hour later it is up to 73.  There are quite a few low 70's spread through the LSV at this hour...even some non-elevated areas of Adams, York and Lancaster including a couple 71's. 

image.thumb.png.fc0f87275b48f2f1b5f681ebf266cf6a.png