• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Spring 2023

42 minutes ago, Jns2183 said:

Is it best for the grass currently to keep it sorta long and wait to cut until good rain is a lock?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

We’d do this in Texas. But in general longer grass is better for everything than super short grass.  

Weather guy on WNEP Channel 16 was just talking about the area's lack of rain. He noted Williamsport's "especially pathetic .44" for May and ended his segment by noting the record breakers (like us) as of today should stay where they are. 

There was a news segment about farmers over near Muncy on our county. The strawberry farmer cancelled Pick Your Own Strawberries and hopes to salvage half his crop. A lady farmer said the soil in her fields is like concrete and is getting dusty and blowing around.

I really feel sorry for them, especially since we do not know when things will go back to normal long term. I realized in December we were no longer having lots more sunny days than normal but of course now we are again.

2 minutes ago, CoralRed said:

Weather guy on WNEP Channel 16 was just talking about the area's lack of rain. He noted Williamsport's "especially pathetic .44" for May and ended his segment by noting the record breakers (like us) as of today should stay where they are. 

There was a news segment about farmers over near Muncy on our county. The strawberry farmer cancelled Pick Your Own Strawberries and hopes to salvage half his crop. A lady farmer said the soil in her fields is like concrete and is getting dusty and blowing around.

I really feel sorry for them, especially since we do not know when things will go back to normal long term. I realized in December we were no longer having lots more sunny days than normal but of course now we are again.

Most farmers can get Fed aid if they substantiate their losses so hopefully that works out for them. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Most farmers can get Fed aid if they substantiate their losses so hopefully that works out for them. 

True.

But farming is always a gamble, there is no denying it. Farmers in PA are all small guys and with our weather, they are not used to long periods of semi-drought or other things that happen much more in the Midwest. Plus the price of food has gone up like crazy but as usual, I am sure they got very little of that extra money even as their costs went up.

It isn't just one year. The whole game of farming is getting harder and riskier for them and I am not sure they all will stay in the game. I don't want to see people forced out. Honestly I myself don't want to have the weather that would make them give up. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Sounds like a great boat day on the river tehe. Wifey and I are taking some friends out. Safe Harbor reporting a water temp of 73. 

Susky is less than 3.5’ and drying up here so be careful of rocks. Upstream it’s even shallower. Boat today got caught in them and destroyed. Guy had to be rescued. 

25 minutes ago, canderson said:

Susky is less than 3.5’ and drying up here so be careful of rocks. Upstream it’s even shallower. Boat today got caught in them and destroyed. Guy had to be rescued. 

Safe Harbor regulates the elevation of Lake Clarke at a pretty consistent 227’ so shouldn't be any issues down this way. For now at least. But yes I can imagine it’s getting rough up that way. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Safe Harbor regulates the elevation of Lake Clarke at a pretty consistent 227’ so shouldn't be any issues down this way. For now at least. But yes I can imagine it’s getting rough up that way. 

Never been down there. I must have missed your mailed invite!

• Haha 2

Yet another in a long string of dry days on tap across the area today to close out a Top 20 coldest May and 2nd driest month in Chester County history. Some patchy smoke will be visible and you will likely smell it in the air at times today and tonight as smoke from the wildfires in Nova Scotia spread southwestward on the East/Northeast breeze. After another below normal day today we should warm to above normal for both Thursday and Friday to close out the week. Cooler weather again by the weekend.
Our next small rain chances look to be on Saturday.
image.png.d25c2ee70c3174fb12133fc1dc45b18d.png