• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Spring 2023

This is not the rhetorical question that I thought it would be, after tooling around a bit just now looking for more info about this smoke: 

Will anybody here be able to meet or beat the Empire State building on smoke for yesterday, June 6? Now I am also wondering if NYC will beat itself today but we will have to see.

Fx-mEq8XoAE2HOJ.thumb.jpeg.87c1713d2001771dca7074863dde476b.jpeg

4 minutes ago, mahantango#1 said:

Not sure of the name of the bright star/planet in the western/northwestern sky thats been bright after sunset for the last several weeks. Last night it had a reddish dull glow too.

Probably Venus - its been real bright the past week or two

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mahantango#1 said:

Hopefully we get some rain soon. Missed all of yesterdays rain.

Models backing up the chance next week...just a bit....and more like a front pass vs. a soaking vort.  Friday still stands as a decent chance and Thursday a chance the farther North you go.   We have not had anything since May 14th so past 3 weeks now. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bubbler86 said:

Models backing up the chance next week...just a bit....and more like a front pass vs. a soaking vort.  Friday still stands as a decent chance and Thursday a chance the farther North you go.   We have not had anything here in weeks. 

It will be a welcome sight to have some beneficial rain even if its on the weekend.

i'm amazed at all the people who had not heard about the smoke from Canada and called 911 to report odor of smoke in their area. 

I slept with my windows open, not sure why everyone is complaining of the smell of smoke :lmao:

Yesterdays rain was brief. Enough to leave puddles in the parking lot, but doubt it did much. 

do we take a shot at 90 on Sunday?

1 minute ago, sauss06 said:

i'm amazed at all the people who had not heard about the smoke from Canada and called 911 to report odor of smoke in their area. 

I slept with my windows open, not sure why everyone is complaining of the smell of smoke :lmao:

Yesterdays rain was brief. Enough to leave puddles in the parking lot, but doubt it did much. 

do we take a shot at 90 on Sunday?

I was thinking we have had several times over the last 4 years where some has been in the sky.  Maybe not this pervasive/ 

11 hours ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I grew up in Washington Boro and learned "very unscientifically" from older, "wiser" Boro residents that storms followed the river. As I grew up and got into Met, I realized that some of that was um...not so accurate. Today's cell came right down the Susky. My son lives in Mount Joy and they got next to nothing, Maytown was JUST inside the "win zone" today. 

This reminds me of an ex's father who used to always say "Chickies will break that up" about every storm that ever approached, as if Chickie hill is some massive mountain that looms over everything and disrupts all storm patterns haha.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

This reminds me of an ex's father who used to always say "Chickies will break that up" about every storm that ever approached, as if Chickie hill is some massive mountain that looms over everything and disrupts all storm patterns haha.

That brings up an interesting nugget I noticed the other day.  Lancaster actual has a 1000 foot elevation spot in the county.... Texter Mountain Rd.    Of the 67 counties, it ranks as the 62nd lowest high point, and is also the lowest high point for a fully in the LSV county,  but was still surprised to see one in Lanco over 1000. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

That brings up an interesting nugget I noticed the other day.  Lancaster actual has a 1000 foot elevation spot in the county.... Texter Mountain Rd.    Of the 67 counties, it ranks as the 62nd lowest high point, and is also the lowest high point for a fully in the LSV county,  but was still surprised to see one in Lanco over 1000. 

Yep.  Using the 'ol Peakbagger website were ya?  That's one of my faves.  Glad to see you studying those Lancaster County relief maps.  We also have some higher terrain across the eastern part of the county near Welsh Mountain, much of the southern hills in Solanco school district, and the infamous Chickies Ridge near me and @Itstrainingtime  But as you mentioned, the highest point is up in the Furnace Hills near where Lancaster, Berks, and Lebanon Counties all meet.  If you knew how much time I've spent looking at terrain maps over the years you'd have me committed haha.  What can I say, we all have our "thing".

• Haha 1

If you take this map as the LSV, I know there are a lot of variations, the highest point in each county in order is:

Franklin-Tuscarora Mountain 2459

Cumberland-Blue Mountain 2270

Perry-Blue Mountain 2270

Adams-East Big Flat Ridge 2070

Dauphin-Big Lick Mountain 1771

Berks-Blue Mountain 1680

Lebanon-Stony Mountain 1651

York-Stone Head North 1412

Lancaster-Texter Rd 1180

image.png.04f08416ca7b3aa55205f1b466b08ca6.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Yep.  Using the 'ol Peakbagger website were ya?  That's one of my faves.  Glad to see you studying those Lancaster County relief maps.  We also have some higher terrain across the eastern part of the county near Welsh Mountain, much of the southern hills in Solanco school district, and the infamous Chickies Ridge near me and @Itstrainingtime  But as you mentioned, the highest point is up in the Furnace Hills near where Lancaster, Berks, and Lebanon Counties all meet.  If you knew how much time I've spent looking at terrain maps over the years you'd have me committed haha.  What can I say, we all have our "thing".

That is indeed where I saw it.  I am certainly not into relief maps like you but find it interesting to see the stats. 

• Like 1

Just now, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Fact check:  True.

However, we are the Alps when compared to the piedmont to our southeast. 

I just read that there is technically a 1183 foot spot in Lanco on good ole Ken Brown's property...where someone stacked a bunch of rocks at some point in the past.   The 1180 figure is public highest spot. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

I just read that there is technically a 1183 foot spot in Lanco on good ole Ken Brown's property...where someone stacked a bunch of rocks at some point in the past.   The 1180 figure is public highest spot. 

i lost a 3' step stool some time back. You found it

• Haha 3

Some spots like here in East Nantmeal did pick up a brief shower - we picked up 0.03" we take!! The smoke continues to be a problem across the area...we may see a brief clearing of smoke this morning before another plume builds across the county by later today. Temperatures should remain below normal for the rest of the work week. Before a brief warmup to above normal by Sunday. Shower chances increase by Friday night and again on Sunday night.

Of interest, while I did record 1 day last summer that rounded to 90 degrees (89.7 on July 23rd) I have not recorded a day that exceeded 90 degrees in almost 2 years!! The last time being June 30, 2021 when we hit 91.2 degrees here in East Nantmeal Township. I think it is likely we see no 90 degree days here in Chester County for the rest of June.
Records for today: 97 (1899) / Low 42 (1949) / Rain 2.94" (2013)
image.png.2f54c2c92672ce76dd4ce2dcf0bf852a.png
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

If you take this map as the LSV, I know there are a lot of variations, the highest point in each county in order is:

Franklin-Tuscarora Mountain 2459

Cumberland-Blue Mountain 2270

Perry-Blue Mountain 2270

Adams-East Big Flat Ridge 2070

Dauphin-Big Lick Mountain 1771

Berks-Blue Mountain 1680

Lebanon-Stony Mountain 1651

York-Stone Head North 1412

Lancaster-Texter Rd 1180

image.png.04f08416ca7b3aa55205f1b466b08ca6.png

Chester County also exceeds 1,000 ft ASL with their highest spot which is in Honey Brook at 1,071 Feet ASL near Welsh Mountain.