Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Extended summer stormlover74 future snow hole banter thread 23

BxEngine

16 hours ago, forkyfork said:

my sister invited me to stay over sat night and her house is at 1k' in sussex county. good luck city slickers 

Can I come?  I won't eat much.  I promise not to bring my banjo...

• Like 1

Just for fun, I was trying to locate any "arctic" air in North America.  There appeals to be a pool of cold air north of Michigan and just west of Hudson Bay.  I don't know if these temperatures are normal for this time of year, ranging from -11 at Churchill and as cold as -36 north and west of there.  Then as you travel farther north, it begins to get warmer.  So we are cut off from the seepage of any true arctic air.  I believe from some of the extended models in December, we should start to see some true arctic air begin to plunge more or less down the eastern side of Canada.  Not sure if that is still the case?  If not, our area will be marginal at best, at least until February...

I like the evolution of NAM talk. Looking at it a few days ago and acknowledging its unreliability in the long range to, “WE GOT NAMd” yesterday to, “don’t even bother looking at the NAM I can’t wait for it to be retired” now that it’s in its useful range. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Nibor said:

I like the evolution of NAM talk. Looking at it a few days ago and acknowledging its unreliability in the long range to, “WE GOT NAMd” yesterday to, “don’t even bother looking at the NAM I can’t wait for it to be retired” now that it’s in its useful range. 

Happens every time but I don't think anyone took yesterday's nam seriously

1 hour ago, IrishRob17 said:

IMG_5788.jpeg

Its so fucking obnoxious. Bunch of children whining and shitting up the thread because its not going to snow where they live and they thought it was 3 days ago. 

• Thanks 1
  • Weenie 2

On 1/4/2024 at 8:55 AM, Dark Star said:

Just for fun, I was trying to locate any "arctic" air in North America.  There appeals to be a pool of cold air north of Michigan and just west of Hudson Bay.  I don't know if these temperatures are normal for this time of year, ranging from -11 at Churchill and as cold as -36 north and west of there.  Then as you travel farther north, it begins to get warmer.  So we are cut off from the seepage of any true arctic air.  I believe from some of the extended models in December, we should start to see some true arctic air begin to plunge more or less down the eastern side of Canada.  Not sure if that is still the case?  If not, our area will be marginal at best, at least until February...

Yeah no cross polar flow.   Even the -36 stuff would moderate bigly as it comes down over snowless ground and warm great lakes...

• Thanks 1

Happy New Year y'all.

I just scrolled through 6 pages of post-mortem for a storm that hasn't happened yet.

Interspersed with the noise was a strong consensus that it is going to mostly rain here and snow somewhere else.

Ever the optimist, I will be checking the snow light periodically and harboring unreasonable hopes for both the front and backend.  So sue me.

PS the title of this thread is confusing.  It looks like last summers banter thread.  On the plus side, the title takes up less than 5 lines on my phone (apologies to Walt)   :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, NorthShoreWx said:

Gotta take the opportunity, before having to confront actual verification, to gloat that in the last frame, all of NNJ and Rockland, and much of OC are mixed precip while it is still snowing here.

:popcorn:

I remember a storm in January 2008 (the infamous failed Heavy Snow Warning storm) where there was a spot of white in SW Nassau and around JFK and the rest of the area was raining.  It didn't amount to a lot (1-2 inches) but people driving in from all directions were surprised to see a bit of snow on the ground here lol

• Like 1

Looking at actual temperatures in Edmonton Canada yesterday,  It was 4 degrees F, with a forecst of 15 degrees F for today.  Later in the week, daytime high temperatures are expected to fall into the negative teens (at least).  That is definitely below normal.  I wonder if that is just from normal interior air cooling due to lack of sunlight, or a real arctic air intrusion from over the pole?   It wil be interesting if that can affect the NYC metro temperatures sometime later next week to cool us down and provide a cold air source to tap into in case there are any storms around. Again, I'm not bullish on these 10 day + maps to provide accurate forecsts.  Trying to use real time data, and attempting to extrapolate on what may hasppen, based on real time and short term upper level patterns...