Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 2023 General Discussion

rainsucks

On 4/7/2023 at 10:23 PM, bowtie` said:

Chicken approved forecast.

For sure! It's been a long, rough winter for the girls.  They have become so pent up, the leader of the group singled out a specific hen and started picking on her so bad, and then the entire flock joined in.  Her head was a bloody scab.  So... I moved her to the garage a week ago into a pen of her own and she started laying again in about 3 days and is slowly healing.  

The bully, however, quickly started in on another hen so I wrang her f'n neck.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

First 50 of the season today!  And it looks like the temp will stay above freezing through at least Saturday.

MQT is reporting 35 inches otg this morning and I have 38 inches.  Will be interesting to follow the progression of the melt.  Even with the warmth, I'm not convinced all this snow can melt in a week, we'll see.

1487400476_thumbnail(1).thumb.jpg.bdd8d09cfa825bbf0647125a8c8f1c21.jpg

• Like 9

On 4/8/2023 at 10:40 PM, Chinook said:

My area has been fortunate enough to have two days of sunshine.  Hmmm. That makes me think of 2024, when an eclipse will come through the center of the US. I am thinking of driving to Texas because it's climatologically cloudy here.

I am going to be monitoring the forecast too and then definitely make a drive to see it :thumbsup:

My first plan will be Indy;  then SW from there depending on the forecast.

Plants are loving the greenhouse and this weather. Just gave them a good drink (they needed it) doing heirloom tomatoes, yellow tomatoes and numerous beefsteak varieties. 

72 and sunny here. Farmers out, and planting will commence in roughly 3-4 weeks. 

IMG_1010-compressed.thumb.jpeg.3fb813259613092144390d70f54cc73c.jpeg

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Lightning said:

I am going to be monitoring the forecast too and then definitely make a drive to see it :thumbsup:

My first plan will be Indy;  then SW from there depending on the forecast.

I went to Tennessee for the 2017 eclipse. Be prepared for traffic like you’ve never seen. Map out and plan back road routes because if it’s anything like I experienced in 2017, traffic will be at a stand still on the interstates.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, roardog said:

I went to Tennessee for the 2017 eclipse. Be prepared for traffic like you’ve never seen. Map out and plan back road routes because if it’s anything like I experienced in 2017, traffic will be at a stand still on the interstates.

Yeah my plan was to be in the farm fields to the SW of Indy (note I am saying Indy because it looks like I might have family moving there in a few months).

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Lightning said:

Yeah my plan was to be in the farm fields to the SW of Indy (note I am saying Indy because it looks like I might have family moving there in a few months).

Why the farm fields? At 3:0something in the afternoon the Sun is 53 degrees up in the southwestern sky. You will be able to see it from downtown Indy if you so choose. Might have to walk a block or two at the most. It is not like it is happening close to sunrise or sunset and the Sun is on the horizon. Then I could see having to get to an open sky position. 

24 minutes ago, SolidIcewx said:

Got some tree bloom in southern Wayne county now. Siberian elms popping now. When did everything pop last year in this area I'm sure snowfreak would know

715F7C1B-19D3-49AE-B814-7262F3723B6D.jpeg

It's kind of hard to give dates, because everything pops at different times. Likely have to pick a specific tree species. With spring bloom and Fall color I usually generalize (ie early or late).

Based on my pics...

2022- Very late. The Bradford pears weren't in bloom until early to mid May. Most trees didn't leaf out until the 2nd week of May. About 3 weeks later than 2021.

2021- Early. Some trees began flowering the 2nd week of April and by the April 20 snowstorm there were plenty of flowers and tiny leaves. 

2020- pretty average. Leafout began in late April

• Like 1

1 minute ago, michsnowfreak said:

It's kind of hard to give dates, because everything pops at different times. Likely have to pick a specific tree species. With spring bloom and Fall color I usually generalize (ie early or late).

Based on my pics...

2022- Very late. The Bradford pears weren't in bloom until early to mid May. Most trees didn't leaf out until the 2nd week of May. About 3 weeks later than 2021.

2021- Early. Some trees began flowering the 2nd week of April and by the April 20 snowstorm there were plenty of flowers and tiny leaves. 

2020- pretty average. Leafout began in late April

Thank you sir I appreciate it. I’m just now paying attention to leaf outs since I started working with tree species myself.  Seems a little early this year I look forward to getting more detail on trees as I watch them bloom and helps with my identification purposes

5 minutes ago, SolidIcewx said:

Thank you sir I appreciate it. I’m just now paying attention to leaf outs since I started working with tree species myself.  Seems a little early this year I look forward to getting more detail on trees as I watch them bloom and helps with my identification purposes

Awesome! Generally...

2022- very late

2021- early 

2020- average 

2019- average 

2018- late

2017- early 

2016- average 

2015- late

2014- very late 

2013- late

2012- very early

2011- late

2010- early 

13 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

Awesome! Generally...

2022- very late

2021- early 

2020- average 

2019- average 

2018- late

2017- early 

2016- average 

2015- late

2014- very late 

2013- late

2012- very early

2011- late

2010- early 

Can confirm silver maples and Norway maples got some shoots as well. I was at a first aid class all day yesterday so I was not able to observe the growth till this morning as I’m out checking power lines

• Like 1