Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 2023 General Discussion

rainsucks

59 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

As posted in the Chicago records thread...

ORD had a high temperature of 83° today, which broke the record high temperature for the date of 82°, which was set in 1887 and 1941.

impressive stretch of heat for the sub. This looming El Niño has piqued my interest. Has there ever been a triple dip La Niña into Strong El Niño? 

42 minutes ago, Chambana said:

impressive stretch of heat for the sub. This looming El Niño has piqued my interest. Has there ever been a triple dip La Niña into Strong El Niño? 

The only other two 'triple dip' La Niña occurrences (1974-76 & 1999-2001) were followed by neutral ENSO summer conditions. So this will be new and unknown territory we are entering.

20 minutes ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

My farmers tan is almost in midsummer form after a few days working in this heat. This photo was taken today in a soon to be suburbanized part of Rosemount MN when it was 82 outside. Still some pockets of deeper snow in spots. Bonus points to anyone who knows what kind of drill rig that is in the background.

9C22C837-281D-4A3B-9B97-706EB676CB16.jpeg

Soil core samples?

14 minutes ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

My farmers tan is almost in midsummer form after a few days working in this heat. This photo was taken today in a soon to be suburbanized part of Rosemount MN when it was 82 outside. Still some pockets of deeper snow in spots. Bonus points to anyone who knows what kind of drill rig that is in the background.

If I had to guess it's for a well? Water? 

31 minutes ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

It is the NAM so take it with a grain of salt….but 4-6” of snow after multiple 80 degree days would be something. It’s definitely going to snow Sunday, the question is how much. 

How much more do you need for the seasonal record? I know you have said, but I forget.  Duluth area was in the running for a seasonal record also.

13 hours ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

I wouldn't dare post a picture it's so gross, but there was still a small pile of black snow in the blazing sun yesterday at a nearby mall. The once massive pile of snow now had so much dirt and debris on the pavement that they were cleaning and sweeping it.

14 hours ago, SolidIcewx said:

The crazy temp swings are of interest to me. It’s always neat to see a sharp drop or a sharp warm up

Speaking of temp swings, there has been very impressive diurnal swings with this warm spell. The radiating areas have been falling into the 40s nightly after hitting 80+ in the afternoon. In fact, ARB was 39 this morning after 82 yesterday. Most of the rest of the area was in the 40s with exception of DTW at 51. This is after low 80s yesterday and likely 80 again today.

1 hour ago, WestMichigan said:

How much more do you need for the seasonal record? I know you have said, but I forget.  Duluth area was in the running for a seasonal record also.

Minneapolis needs 9” to break the record and 5.3” for second place.

Duluth needs 3.8” to break the record and 0.1” for second place. 

21 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

Speaking of temp swings, there has been very impressive diurnal swings with this warm spell. The radiating areas have been falling into the 40s nightly after hitting 80+ in the afternoon. In fact, ARB was 39 this morning after 82 yesterday. Most of the rest of the area was in the 40s with exception of DTW at 51. This is after low 80s yesterday and likely 80 again today.

I seen a bit of that this morning as I was getting ready for work. Temp swings are just as fascinating at other weather aspects. Even tho it was 49 when I arrived as soon as the sun hit I was warm

• Like 1