Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Napril 2023 Obs/Disco

Torch Tiger

57 minutes ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

12z GFS is a bit wet from Saturday night into early next week.. 

IMG_0100.png

I was wondering if/when it would come around... The NAEF system has been selling more than the operational runs ...but the EPS/GEPs were more in line with the former.

I don't think it will put us hugely over-budget into a 1987 or 2005 or 2010 ..  but, might be able to see some creek side little legal ball parks under water. You know ...when green trash barrels and the playground swing set near by are half under,

21 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I've seen pics from Eric and Scott (Mainejayhawk and Powderfreak). Those are high quality shots from a good camera with maybe a hint of augmentation....and that is perfectly fine. Perhaps they do nothing to them.  I love their pics. 

Oh I've been trying to get PF rich with those land scape shots for years but ...nope - he just loves his provincial mountain dwellings too much I guess... 

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I hate getting into that art debate, because many photographers get defensive when you call out the saturation. 

For me, I'm talking about those real egregious examples. To the point where it's completely incorrect in terms of how the visions appear. I can't tell you how many times I've seen pics of "Boston Common in Autumn.." and it's just laughable. Just completely wrong. That stuff I have a problem with. At that point you're just throwing it out there to disrobe to how many likes and retweets you get. 

Yeah there are the ones you can see that are like ok, you just yanked the saturation slider all the way to the side.  I typically don’t use saturation, often my edits are like Eric stated, mostly to do with lighting.  Usually the color is there to begin with, it’s just the lighting that can use some tweaking.  I mean shooting photos in NVT in winter with clouds and snow, it can look like the inside of a paper bag type darkness and I need shutter speeds to capture fast movement of skiers/riders.  Most of my edit is brightening.

8 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah there are the ones you can see that are like ok, you just yanked the saturation slider all the way to the side.  I typically don’t use saturation, often my edits are like Eric stated, mostly to do with lighting.  Usually the color is there to begin with, it’s just the lighting that can use some tweaking.  I mean shooting photos in NVT in winter with clouds and snow, it can look like the inside of a paper bag type darkness and I need shutter speeds to capture fast movement of skiers/riders.  Most of my edit is brightening.

I totally get the lighting part. Like I said...the stuff you and Eric take are quality shots. 

I follow a bunch of folks in Iceland and Norway, etc.  The videos and pics they post of aurora are amazing.  Often they will try to do side by side using less enhanced pics and it can be quite noticable, but the "naked eye" ones are still jaw dropping.

Their written descriptions tell me  that they are often seeing more than the greenish swirls depending on where they are, how dark it is, the strength of the event, etc.

I've only ever seen it fainly one time back in the 1980s in Lowell of all places.

On 4/22/2023 at 5:17 PM, BrianW said:

I'm down in West Palm Beach and the weather has been epic. Such a special place...

The front will eventually make it down to South Florida on Sunday in terms of a wind shift, but it will not be felt temperature-wise as temps will still hit the upper 80s with 90 degrees possible over the interior. 

Screenshot_20230422-131835_Gallery.jpg

Looks nice, Idk...I lived there for six months up until last month and it felt too hot to me. The sun angle is just too strong. That doesn't even account for the humidity since that happens mostly in the six months I wasn't there.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, H2Otown_WX said:

Looks nice, Idk...I lived there for six months up until last month and it felt too hot to me. The sun angle is just too strong. That doesn't even account for the humidity since that happens mostly in the six months I wasn't there.

meh sun angle (whips stick back and forth) 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

meh sun angle (whips stick back and forth) 

Pretty epic day for severe here...

The atmosphere is primed for thunderstorm development today as a stationary front sits in south-central Florida and additional parameters point to the increased potential. This morning`s 12Z sounding highlighted PWATs of 1.57in which is near the 90th percentile for this time of year. In addition, low-level winds will begin to veer more westerly/southwesterly as a previously formed mesoscale convective system breaks up into multiple positive vorticity pulses that advect over the Florida Peninsula. 

Screenshot_20230424-154808_RadarScope.jpg

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, BrianW said:

The atmosphere is primed for thunderstorm development today as a stationary front sits in south-central Florida and additional parameters point to the increased potential. This morning`s 12Z sounding highlighted PWATs of 1.57in which is near the 90th percentile for this time of year. In addition, low-level winds will begin to veer more westerly/southwesterly as a previously formed mesoscale convective system breaks up into multiple positive vorticity pulses that advect over the Florida Peninsula. 

Pretty meh so far.

1 hour ago, BrianW said:

Thinking about heading down that way on Wednesday. How crappy is the weather supposed to be? Going to me trying to get some golf in. Forecast doesn't look great but I'm not familiar with Florida.

42 minutes ago, kdxken said:

Thinking about heading down that way on Wednesday. How crappy is the weather supposed to be? Going to me trying to get some golf in. Forecast doesn't look great but I'm not familiar with Florida.

Head down. We had a pretty amazing stretch of weather here the last few days but it looks a bit stormy this week. Its the best time of the year to get out of New England... took the new Avelo flight out of HVN.  Was only a 2:38 flight coming down.  

The sun angle warning is legit. Like 75% of our group got roasted with sunburn and are out for the count today... 

• Thanks 1