• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 13-14th Nor'easter Threat

NJwx85

I think the danger is we're three days out and a lot can go wrong. IE the low developing too late or dynamics not being strong enough to cool the BL ect. 

But as things stand now verbatim, I think most would do very well. It wouldn't be an epic blizzard for the coast but it would easily be the biggest snowfall of the season.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Theoretically on the Euro, most of this subforum sees 12+ hours of sleet or mixed precip which would cut down on totals along the coast.

Doubt that happens in reality.

We would be under the "death band" for a good 6-12 hours and even though surface temps would be 2-3 degrees above freezing I do believe it would accumulate.

850hv.us_ne.png

Don't models generally account for that or do they just spit out mix or sleet if the surface is above freezing even if all other layers are below?

4 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Theoretically on the Euro, most of this subforum sees 12+ hours of sleet or mixed precip which would cut down on totals along the coast.

Doubt that happens in reality.

We would be under the "death band" for a good 6-12 hours and even though surface temps would be 2-3 degrees above freezing I do believe it would accumulate.

850hv.us_ne.png

If snow is really falling that hard it would cool down to 32-33. The air would latently cool quickly from the melting flakes. 

• Like 1

I think the danger is we're three days out and a lot can go wrong. IE the low developing too late or dynamics not being strong enough to cool the BL ect. 
But as things stand now verbatim, I think most would do very well. It wouldn't be an epic blizzard for the coast but it would easily be the biggest snowfall of the season.

i agree with yanks fan euro run keeps us in the game

3 minutes ago, romba said:

Don't models generally account for that or do they just spit out mix or sleet if the surface is above freezing even if all other layers are below?

Model skill is generally poor at surface depictions for mixed precip.

Would need to look at soundings to see the full picture which I don't have access too.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

I don’t what all the complaining is about. I’ve liked every snow map I’ve seen so far. Not everyone lives in NYC or central Jersey. 

Well, the people that live near NYC and central Jersey don't care about what happens in somebody else's backyard with all due respect.

In any event, everything needs to align perfectly for those near the coast to see anything significant this time of year and this storm is no different. As usual in March, you guys up in Orange are in a much better spot.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

I don’t what all the complaining is about. I’ve liked every snow map I’ve seen so far. Not everyone lives in NYC or central Jersey. 

so the nyc ppl should be happy for you and you should then likewise be upset for them.

ofc everyone cares abt their back yard and will voice their opinions based on that. PBPs should be unbiased (good for interior, poor for city verbatim etc.) but opinions on models runs after that are just that- opinions.

2 minutes ago, kat5hurricane said:

Well, the people that live near NYC and central Jersey don't care about what happens in somebody else's backyard with all due respect.

In any event, everything needs to align perfectly for those near the coast to see anything significant this time of year and this storm is no different. As usual in March, you guys up in Orange are in a much better spot.

yes elevation and latitude plays best this time of year.

10:1 isn’t happening. Use Kuchera. NYC is at best 3-6” on the euro unfortunately. Going to be right on the cusp - nature of the beast with a late forming Miller B. NYC is the swing zone. I’ll be Rockland county (new city) for this one and models are all over the place in that area. The gradient is very steep in the Rockland / orange / westchester zone. 3-6 to 12-20 when moving 20-30 miles in a given direction is a dangerous game to be playing.

We should get more clarity on where this low bombs out and gets captured after wave 1 passes through

8 minutes ago, romba said:

so the nyc ppl should be happy for you and you should then likewise be upset for them.

ofc everyone cares abt their back yard and will voice their opinions based on that. PBPs should be unbiased (good for interior, poor for city verbatim etc.) but opinions on models runs after that are just that- opinions.

No just tired of everyone’s reference to this sucks, or this won’t work for anyone, it’s a big forum but you’d never know it from all the IMBY comments. 

• Like 3

This sub forum is unique. Not in size but because the climate differs tremendously from West to East and North to South. New England has the same infighting between the NNE and SNE crews.

We're all hear to discuss the weather. Not just the weather that is falling or not falling in your backyard, but weather impacting a portion of or the entire region. 

• Like 7

44 minutes ago, jayyy said:

10:1 isn’t happening. Use Kuchera. NYC is at best 3-6” on the euro unfortunately. Going to be right on the cusp - nature of the beast with a late forming Miller B. NYC is the swing zone. I’ll be Rockland county (new city) for this one and models are all over the place in that area. The gradient is very steep in the Rockland / orange / westchester zone. 3-6 to 12-20 when moving 20-30 miles in a given direction is a dangerous game to be playing.

We should get more clarity on where this low bombs out and gets captured after wave 1 passes through

3-6...it's more like 1-3

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Why is this storm SO small and why have storms recently been small like this?  January 1996 in this position would have heavy snow all the way back to the midwest.

January 2016 too.

Isn't it a Miller B vs Miller A thing? Big precips field are harder to get with newly redeveloped lows vs older ones that come up from the South and have been pulling in Gulf moisture.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Gravity Wave said:

Isn't it a Miller B vs Miller A thing? Big precips field are harder to get with newly redeveloped lows vs older ones that come up from the South and have been pulling in Gulf moisture.

Yes, another reason why I don't like Miller B's lol.

Miller A's are a snow purist's favorite snowstorm and a lot more fun to track.

Add to that the fact that I dislike the term "winter storm"-- a storm is either a snow storm or it isn't.  I hate the term "winter storm."  I see the media latching on to this term and using it more and more-- which makes me dislike it even more!

We should use one of three terms-- snow storm, ice storm, or rain storm.  For mixed events, just call them a junk storm.

I've also read a reference to Miller C, is that a Miller A/B hybrid of some sort?