joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 13-14th Nor'easter Threat

NJwx85

9 minutes ago, kingbaus said:

Why does the surface look weird 

4 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Uh ? It's blocked and has no where to go .

Possible solution with the MJO deeply in 8.

He's talking surface maps presentation.

Don't worry about that just yet. Big improvements.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

yeah, 925mb is more useful and those temps are definitely cold enough

ecmwf-deterministic-ne-t925-8795200.thumb.png.8f848ae405a5dc57400197ec50e521b7.png

They're boarder line warm NYC south and east at the onset of the storm but definitely colder than the 0z run. A step in the right direction. Good trends.

31 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

the taller PNA allows for the NS lobe to drop into the trough. leads to an earlier phase and way more cold air getting infused. beautiful run

ezgif-2-25618aa4f3.thumb.gif.1db273a4d967549aebaa395b488a1cfa.gifecmwf-deterministic-ne-t850_c_dprog-8784400.thumb.png.9010376274b5c9b7ef7c137981a84bad.png

Hopefully that's a trend as it would keep getting colder as we get closer. The track could tuck in a bit more and we could still end up colder.

We'll see. Trend looks pretty strongly west today. If that continues into tomorrow I think it's pretty clear where this is heading.

This is going to be 1-2 feet + of snow inland. Question is how far inland? Rockland/Bergen/Westchester/Passaic inland (option 1)? Or Sussex/Orange/Putnam/Ulster/I-84 north inland (Option 2)? My guess is the west trend is real and it’s option #2. I don’t think NYC, coast and LI get much out of it (either option) and if a west trend continues neither will Westchester/Rockland/Bergen/Passaic
  • Weenie 1

EPS is really impressive. It's what you want to see to get snows in mid March. 

Additionally if the storm is dynamic enough, which this is likely to be, then even a tucked in solution could yield snows as long as the storm is east of you. 

Also a rare longitude storm perhaps. I could see NYC and especially just N/W getting more snow than parts of SNE. 

• Like 1

EPS is really impressive. It's what you want to see to get snows in mid March. 
Additionally if the storm is dynamic enough, which this is likely to be, then even a tucked in solution could yield snows as long as the storm is east of you. 
Also a rare longitude storm perhaps. I could see NYC and especially just N/W getting more snow than parts of SNE. 

This is going to be an inland snowstorm. NYC/coast/LI are not going to see much at all IMO. Rockland/Westchester/Bergen/Passaic might not either. I can see this easily becoming an I-84 north special
  • Weenie 5

4 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

This is going to be an inland snowstorm. NYC/coast/LI are not going to see much at all IMO. Rockland/Westchester/Bergen/Passaic might not either. I can see this easily becoming an I-84 north special

Is there any reasoning behind this?

I'm also skeptical given historic precedent but I can't deny what some models show right now. 

• Like 2

Is there any reasoning behind this?
I'm also skeptical given historic precedent but I can't deny what some models show right now. 

The northern branch keeps dropping in earlier with every run, that keeps up and it will definitely get tugged west, which I think happens. I think it ultimately runs inland
  • Weenie 3

15 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

The northern branch keeps dropping in earlier with every run, that keeps up and it will definitely get tugged west, which I think happens. I think it ultimately runs inland

Ok fair enough. What about the GFS though. It's much less amped which suggests a lack of consensus. 

FWIW the JMA has a slower evolution to a deep low near Nantucket (972 mb by 00z Wed). It's a similar evolution to the most recent Euro but slower by at least 6h. 

Will see if the 06z GFS is moving any closer to the Euro again, the models have more or less flip-flopped in terms of which ones are inland and which ones are coastal. 

NYC potential at the moment is in a very wide range (3-20), further up the river, more like 6-24. Snow from earlier event will chill the boundary layer which is one reason why an inland runner seems unlikely, at least inland west of Fall River to Chatham MA. 

47 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

There is still blocking even though it's decaying

EPS ensemble members for NYC:

image.png.e379af96f4dde413deed52260e10b7c7.png

This storm has a lot more potential and there is sufficient time for things to change significantly. At this point in time, the ensemble guidance is suggesting this could be a potentially massive snowstorm well inland (i.e., Albany, Binghamton, Concord, Scranton) and at higher elevations (Catskills, Poconos, etc.). About one-in-four ensemble members shows Boston with 10" or more. The operational ECMWF is sort of an outlier for the coastal plain in depicting around 10" for NYC.

That's where the ensembles stand now. Things remain subject to significant change.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2